THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle with an English Stock Yes/no
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle with an English Stock Yes/no
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I'm looking at having a light weight 9.3X74r double built on a 20 or 28ga shotgun. One option would be a straight English style stock. What are your thoughts. Example pictures both ways?

How does a double rifle handle with a straight stock?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Kind of wondered the same thing. Got a 16ga with a straaight grip.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
That is strictly a personal choice, but I wouldn't even consider buying a double rifle with a UPLAND stock! I have a muzzleloading double rifle with a straight stock, and I simply hate that stock, and am about to re-stock it.

You pay a premium for a light upland shotgun with that type of stock, but it is the opposite with a double rifle. When you get ready to sell the rifle, if you ever do, you will either have to wait till someone comes along who likes that kind of stock, or discount it so it can be re-stocked! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37, Well said.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPLAND stock

Mac Thanks my swiss cheese brain wasn't supplying that word. Your's and Jack's comments reinforce my initial feeling.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I rather like straight grip stocks. They are comfortable and fast handling for me . I think they are a personal taste item like so many things having to do with guns. I don't think they are good or bad just different.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Westley paradox with a straight stock and have seen many paradox guns so stocked. I think it is a personal choice and also great for snap shooting running game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
double rifles with straight stocks are not d g rifles. they are in smaller calibers for fast moving targets like driven boar , deer, etc.

many fine old belgian double rifles in the venerable 405 winchester were made with straight stocks.

until you have actually handled one you cannot appreciate their neat and fast handling attributes.

and , believe it or not, the straight stock is better for making the move to the second trigger
it is a natural movement to slide the hand down the stock versus on a pistol grip.

i'll try to get someone to post some of my pics of straight stock double rifles

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In one of the books I recently read, they noted that the pistol grip had a strength advantage over straight stocks in a DR, as well as helping in the recoil area.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a .450 or larger double, I would not want a straight grip as I think the chance of the trigger guard smashing my knuckles during recoil would be increased.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Ramrod340, See the Browning Continental model... .30-06 or .270 and 20 Ga. tubes seperate. The "straight" stock works very well when doubling on whitetail bucks... Ask me how I know! .30-06 for me.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GUYS !!! you're not reading !

look at the above posts

the straight stock rifles are in small calibers.... not 450's 500' or 600'

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I was only to post this one picture the others wouldn't work.
L. Christophe, Brussels sidelock ejector with chopper lump barrels and boar hunting scene engraving....cal 10.75x52R= 45-70 case necked to 425 dia.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote