Find
Notify
Tools

Which Electronic Ear Muffs!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Not just for the range, but hunting as well!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I use a cheap pair of Peltor's (Tactical 6-S). Have only used at the range and they work great. Bought them at Gander Mountain for $60. Russell (Hunter Formerly Known as Texas Hunter) uses the same thing.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have tried about 9 or so brand of electronic muffs.

The only ones that I could wear comfortably for more than 4 hours was the Peltor Tactical 7.

For hunting, one advantage is that if you turn the volume up, you can hear a mouse fart at 30 paces.

Downside: if it is really REALLY windy, you will get the wind noise unless you turn the volume down.

I often use plugs and these muffs at the range: better hearing protection, and with the volume on high you still hear better than with plugs or regular muffs.

Make absolutely certain that you get a muff with true stereo! I can localize sounds every bit as well with my Peltors than without them -- but some electronic muffs have only one microphone and you can't tell where a sound came from!

Battery life if very long (long enough that I'd hate to even guess how many hours).

No affiliation with Peltor, but a very satisfied customer.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
IMHO, none.

For me, it is a set of custom electronic, in the ear plugs. Namely ESP Elites (analog), for those with deep pockets the ESP Digitals. Both will amplify "small noises" and limit gun shots to 90db. They will not interfear with the stock on rifles or shotguns, as the over the ear type muffs commonly do.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
IMHO, none.

For me, it is a set of custom electronic, in the ear plugs. Namely ESP Elites (analog), for those with deep pockets the ESP Digitals. Both will amplify "small noises" and limit gun shots to 90db. They will not interfear with the stock on rifles or shotguns, as the over the ear type muffs commonly do.

Keith

You'll be at DSC, won't you? PM me the pricing if you do not mind. I do not think I have been to DSC in five years but I need to go this year.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Charels, PM sent.

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
I've used the Peltor Tactical, and love them... here's a trick though... take the earcups off of the headband, and put them upside down, and on the opposite side... so the microphones still face forward, but the skinny half is on the bottom... then they won't tend to hit your stock, neck gaitors, or jacket collars as much..

I now used my E.S.P. electronic analogs that Hogkiller/Keith made for me... they perform excellent, and Keith is a great guy to deal with

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470CapstickA2:
I now used my E.A.R. electronic analogs that Hogkiller/Keith made for me... they perform excellent, and Keith is a great guy to deal with

Al, they are E.S.P.s cheers not e.a.r.s moon animal

Keith

One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
quit hitting the egg nog... I spelled it right Smiler

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Wished I had some eggnog, it's some gooooood stuff. Big Grin

Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hey Keith, you are going to be at the DSC show aren't you? If so, what is your booth no.?
I need a pair of those analog plugs as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Keith doesn't have a booth this year. He'll have his stuff with him but he wanted to wonder around the show this year instead of being stuck in a booth!

I told him Jeffe, Mac and I would man the booth, but he said something about not wanting to loose customers? Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I told him Jeffe, Mac and I would man the booth, but he said something about not wanting to loose customers? Eeker

That was most likely a smart move! Nobody ever accused Kieth of being stupid!
jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Mac, yes I will be at DSC. I will bring my "stuff" to Dallas. I will either have it in the truck, and we can go to the parking lot to make your impressions. Or get them made up at the Comfort Inn, where I will be staying. Depends on the weather, mostly.

Keith

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Mac, PM sent

Keith

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Keith,
I will be looking for you also

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Palmer, PM sent

Keith

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Keith,
Do you use the electronic in both ears? What are the prices for a set? I wish I would have known you did this while we were at the last DRSS event. Been looking at getting a pair for a while.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Roscoe, PM sent.

Keith