Find
Notify
Tools

New RMR/Docter Mount
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Here are a couple of quick photos I promised last week of the mount for the Trijicon RMR and Docter sights.

I'll get some better photos in a few days.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Unrelated to the mount, here's a better one of the stock.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed - Both items !

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice on both!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Plesase dont torture me anymore.....Thanks for sharing, e-x-p-e-c-t-a-c-u-l-a-r !!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the color case, very nice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics, Chris. The rifle looks fine! clap

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood is amazing with the case color, the sight looks nice but sets a bit too high off the barrels for my liking. Thanks for the eye candy, by the way what caliber?

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Chris, is someone local installing that mount in the quarter-rib for you?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Wood is amazing with the case color, the sight looks nice but sets a bit too high off the barrels for my liking. Thanks for the eye candy, by the way what caliber?

Dirk - it's a 450/400. There's 1/4" of metal (the height of the mounting bracket) between the top rib and the base of the sight. Unless you want to drill and tap the quarter rib and screw the sight directly to the rifle, then that's about as low as you can go.

Even at that height, the aiming point is much closer to the rib than the center of a scope reticle would be.

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Chris, is someone local installing that mount in the quarter-rib for you?

They are done at the factory, Mac (before bluing). We could have one done here, but it would require a re-blue.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Wow... I'm not going to sleep tonight! It's BEAUTIFUL. Is she married?

Do you have a mount that would fit into the rear claw mount on my 470?

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375John:
Chris,

Yes it is made by ernst apel.

New england Custom Guns handles their mounts.

Look for the previous post "aimpoint for doubles".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by new_guy:
Even at that height, the aiming point is much closer to the rib than the center of a scope reticle would be.[QUOTE]

Chris, "much closer" even compared to claw mounts?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wood and case hardening really compliment each other. What a beauty. What's the history of the wood?

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
Chris, "much closer" even compared to claw mounts?

Yes, closer than claw mounts. I can tell just based on the external dimensions of the two sights I have (Docter and Trijicon RMR) that the Docter will be a bit lower - It's a smaller sight and the base on the Docter is thinner.

To give you an exact answer of just how much lower the two sights are than a scope, I'll have to do some calculations off of the mfg's spec sheets. In the interim, let me add this.

To see your target through a scope, you obviously have to have your eye centered in the tube (looking directly through the center of the scope), right?

With these dot-type sights, as long as the dot is visible in the "window" it is still true to the point of aim and impact (regardless of where it is located in the window.)

That enables you to lower your head down on to the stock and still see the dot. The dot will appear in the lower part of the "window," but it's still visible and accurate.

I'll pull up the mfg.'s spec sheets tomorrow and figure out the required height of a claw mounted scope and these dot sights.

quote:
Originally posted by 375John:
Chris,

I'm afraid she was part of an "arranged marriage"... so she was spoken for before making her debut.

Tony is correct, EAW makes a base for the Doctor mounts. Whether or not it will fit your rear base depends on which rear base you have installed on your rifle. Both EAW and Recknagel are commonly used (probably more Recknagel), and both brands are a little different if memory serves me.

quote:
Originally posted by 470drshooter:
The wood and case hardening really compliment each other. What a beauty. What's the history of the wood?

The blank was purchased here, and we sent it to Germany to have the stock made. It was purchased from Bill Dowtin at Old World Walnut.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I've just had a Recknagel red-dot base fitted to the swing off bases of my Merkel 9.3x74R and I am just waiting on my RMR to fit up to it. The beauty of using the swing off base is that you can revert to open sights or mount up a scope so I now have three sighting options on my double but the RMR will be lightning fast to shoot. I'll post a photo of the setup shortly.

By the way, that is a gorgeous double with fantastic wood - want to trade for my Merkel? Big Grin

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote