New
Find
Notify
Tools

sxs shotgun rifle combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was told i should ask this question here .I wanted to sk who here shoots a 577 nitro express . hows does the 650 grain rn do on thin skinned game or bear and big cats . I want a sxs 577 with 10 gauge barrels set .i figured searcy could do a build like this i dont reallly know of many true bespoke gunmakers .
I think a weight of 15 lbs with the rifles barrels would be good and have a recoil about 60 ft lbs .Would 23" barrels to short for the 577 to gain optimal velocity ?.And a set of 10 ga 33" barrels .Dont know if any of y'all have fired a 10 bore but its addictive i like the recoil to .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the 650gn in Nitro for Black out of a custom 577 x 3"
will drop a Water Buffalo, possibly with one or 2 follow up
shots depending on where you hit it.

I would say on the bears it will give a damn good hit if not knock
them flat. A lot of energy in a 577.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
problem is finding someone who could build such a rifle/shotgun . i hear that a 577 will go strait through waterbuffalo sometimes . and recoil is a big push but im not recoil sensitive anyway .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk10ga:
problem is finding someone who could build such a rifle/shotgun . i hear that a 577 will go strait through waterbuffalo sometimes . and recoil is a big push but im not recoil sensitive anyway .

Yes, big push is a good way of looking at it. Depends on the gun weight and a few other things.

Yes, bullet will go through sometimes. Again, depends on velocity, size of Buff - the really big bulls are very solid and thick set.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would probably use the 10 ga barrels more . but would or could the 650 be pushed at 2100 fps ? . I would most likely shoot bear with this .maybe a elk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 577 should do 2,050 with a 750gr, so 2,100 with a 650 should be easy. I'd opt for 25" or 26" barrels..better looks and balance, and helps to attain velocity levels. Might think about 14 lbs or even 13 1/2 lbs on the build. A 15 lb rifle is a real brute.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 lbs would be a pig to carry, 14lb would be the heavy side for a 577 with IMO a 13-13.5lb rifle being perfect.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i was thinking maybe make it a 13lb gun but with 2 bars in the stock 1lb peice or mercury reducers etc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need for the mercs on a 13-13.5 pound .577
ND Wink

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tk10ga,

13 lbs is not a problem with a 577 as I have a Verney Carrone 577 and it weighed over 14 lbs with its mercury recoil reducers in it. Those are out now and the gun is a pleasure to shoot. I think it is easier to handle without them and much better feel to it. I think it is easier to shoot than my 500 now. Carry a 14.5 lb gun several miles in 100 degree heat and you will wish for a lighter gun. The two recoil reducers weighed 1 lb 12 oz total. Don't put them in a gun all they do is add weight. They also weaken the stock. Oh I also took those stinking recoil reducers out of my 500 also. As far as having a gun built with 10 ga spare barrels I don't think you would use them that much. I'd rather just buy a good 10 ga double shotgun. If you do get a two barrel set have the shotgun barrels no longer than 26 inches and put screw in chokes in it.This would work good for following up wounded big cats with 000 buckshot.

Sam

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i would want 33" for the 10 ga and im more of a shotgun person than anything but just real picky and no one makes a sxs 10 ga so to speak with good wood . might be better to get just to ask about a 10 gauge verney carron . then later down the road get a only 577 gun not combo .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might just get in contact with Ken Bush (Kebco LLC) about that. He carries a lot of shotguns and if he doesn't have a good 10ga he can probably find you one. I have a Spanish 10ga I would like to sell cheap if you are interested. It has 32 inch barrels and if I keep it she'll have 24 inchers before long.

Sam

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Verney-Carron can not make a 10ga at this time. The distance between the firing pins on their largest frame is not great enough for the 10ga

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a different angle. . I Assume you want the long barrels for waterfowl or maybe turkey, which would mean you want the chokes full. This would prohibit a slug. But if you could have another set of ten gauge barrels made to 24", bored .775, you have a very formidable weapon. Shooting a .775 round ball, 700 grains, 1500 fps, is very potent. When heat treated they are even more deadly. Make the barrels heavy, express sights and your set. Probably a heck of a lot cheaper than rifle barrels as well.
I have owned bore rifles with Paradox and smooth bore barrels, they were the medicine at one time. Holland built ten bore Paradox rifles which were built as elephant guns, shooting a steel cored bullet. It is hard to dismiss a slug as long as the range doesn't exceed its capabilities