THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    375 H&H 2.5” LOAD DATA REQUEST
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H 2.5” LOAD DATA REQUEST
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I picked up a lovely Cogswell and Harrison double in the aforementioned caliber. It is grouping OK with IMR 3031, but I am wary of the caution in the right book regarding this powder and double rifles. For example, although I am getting decent groups. I would like to find different loads using for example, VARGET powder, etc. Any help would be appreciated.Jorge.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I have the same maker and calibre.

48.5 gr. RL 15 with Woodleigh 270 gr. bullet is best for mine. Regulates (groups) very well. Good luck.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much, sir. Any idea as to velocity?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
1,946 FPS instrument velocity.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, DD. One more question (sorry) what primer? I have a wide variety

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, a few loads listed here, as well as the cartridge's history.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/cartridge-board-4

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Biebs!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Thanks again, DD. One more question (sorry) what primer? I have a wide variety

Federal 210

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Much Obliged, sir.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Great load data for this caliber in the WOODLEIGH HANDLOADING BOOK by Geoff McDonald of Woodleigh, and Graeme Wright the Aussie Double Rigle guru, author of "SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE".

This is usually available at Midway USA. If not, directly from Woodleigh. I just assisted in getting 85 cases released from his former US agent, and they were shipped to Australia.

Graeme is not far from releasing his 4th edition of his great book. There is excellent loading info in these 3 editions, but if you don't have one, they have been sold out for years, and super expensive on the secondary market!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2569 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I have the book. I have tried Varget with less than average results (pretty large extreme spreads in velocity), IMR 3031 (not recommended by Wright but it is everywhere else using the 1.15X cordite ratio and that seems to work ok. I am going to try that RL-15 load as well as the H4895 and 4350.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you happen to buy the great little Coggi at Pinto's Gunshop in Renton, WA??

I have handled that one and also the great Greener Fascel Princeps they are offering. They are nicer than the photos on Guns International!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2569 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Actually, a friend of mine purchased it through Guns International and I believe a private dealer.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Don: An update on my C&H, I tried your load and it regulated ok (2.5") it was way too hot at 2120 fps. It seems to like IMR 4831, 41.5-42gr, WLR primers (JJ Perodeau's load) or 46gr of Target and F-210s, although that load (out of the Graham book) tops out at just over 2000 fps. OAL is seated to factory specs of 3.1". Thoughts?

PS: as expected in a lot of these older rifles, the right barrel is slower than then left.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member