THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How many ordered a Field Grade Searcy DR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many ordered a Field Grade Searcy DR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Field Grade tab is gone on the double rifle section of Butch Searcy's website. He announced awhile back that he would not take orders for them as of 1 January 2010.

How many out there got their order in before the deadline?

What are you getting - Caliber, left/right hand, barrel length, etc.?

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You already know I ordered one but just to rehash:
450 Nitro 3 1/4
Lefty
26 in barrels
Talley scope mount

I would not be be shocked to see the Field Grade (or something similar) reappear on their web site before the year is done.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450 NE 3 1/4
right hand
26 inch barrels
extractors
upgraded wood

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine will be like Snowwolfe's except for the Talley rings.

.450 Nitro
Left Hand
26" bbls.

Wow! that's three for three in .450 NE.

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
My .450 N.E. Searcy (albeit, Classic) will arrive tommorow!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I ordered a field grade in 470 NE with the only extra being night site up front.

BTW it is my understanding that the field garde is not being discontinued, the price is just going up.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Judge,
are you going to be able to sleep tonight Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
My .450 N.E. Searcy (albeit, Classic) will arrive tommorow!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because of recurring issues, Butch closed the facility in Sturgis. I talked with him the other day about a related matter, and he said the Boron shop will focus on fewer, but higher grade (read better profit margin) Doubles. He keeps telling me he's going to retire, but I've heard him sing that song before a time or two.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will Searcy exist without Butch or when he retires will it disappear?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retirement to me is cutting back on the production of low end rifles and concentrate on the higher end. I will be looking for a buyer this year that might be qualified (Money and ability) to purchase the line of products I have available.
I intend to be building rifles well into my seventies. Also there are a select few that I will offer training and parts to build there own line of doubles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that means that our rifles will be built completely in Boron. When I ordered in October, I was given a delivery estimate of 3 to 4 months. It will probably take longer now with a smaller shop operation.

Judge G, I hope you will post pics of rifle and target in a range report.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I forgot what day it is. The gun arrives on Wednesday. I'll be sure to post pictures and a target.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you promise not to buy golf clubs with any of the money...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
I intend to be building rifles well into my seventies.

Hey old man,
Are you retiring next week? rotflmo
Dirk Schimmel
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:

quote:
Retirement to me is cutting back on the production of low end rifles and concentrate on the higher end. I will be looking for a buyer this year that might be qualified (Money and ability) to purchase the line of products I have available.
I intend to be building rifles well into my seventies. Also there are a select few that I will offer training and parts to build there own line of doubles.

What does that mean warranty wise?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge....what are you having Butch regulate your double with? I bought a brand new Classic 450 NE from a gent that ordered it and never even saw it in person....drove to Miami and picked it up from his father (he was out of the country). Added about a 1/2" by going to a thicker pad and it fits me like a dream. Butch regulated it with 96 gr of IMR 4831 and 480 gr Woodies. The Hornady factory rounds aren't quite up to the regulation velocity and therefore shot a bit apart...workable, but I handload so no worries.

These are beautiful doubles. Mine has Butch Searcy & Co. inlaid in gold on each side of the receiver as well as the "Safe" notation on the tang.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
It is regulated with the Hornady DGS/DGX factory ammo. I'll shoot it Wednesday afternoon, I'm sure, but will be immediately going to Dallas and won't be able to get any pictures posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, in your opinion, would that be an adequate firearm for Elephant (????)

PS: Just wondering, I pick mine up from Adam at the DSC!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll find out in Chirisa, won't I!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a 450 NE ain't adequate for elephants, I quit.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Liifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honkey,

Does your night sight come back over the regular front bead or is it a flip up at the front of the front sight that you push up against the regular bead?

Have you considered a fiber optic replacement front sight instead?