THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Traveling with a double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling with a double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving for Zim next month. Taking bolt rifle with fixed scope, .22 with scope and a double rifle all in a Tuffpack. How would you pack the double rifle in the tuffpack? The other two rifles will be in a softcase. I'm thinking, take down the double rifle, pack in softcase and fold over. Any ideas or suggestions??? Thanks

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definately travel with the double broken down.

I have done as you stated, got an extra long soft case and broke the doubles down and then folded the case over.

Also, I seem to remember something about 22LR rifles not being legal in some African countries, cannot remember if South Africa or Zim was on that list???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Don't know about 22's being illegal to bring into Zim but they're around inside.

With all the crapola from the airlines these days might want to make sure they'll take three.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff and SKB both make soft cases for guns that are broken down.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boyt makes a nice soft case for takedown shotguns that I have used with my double rifle in the Tuff-pak. The little pocket is handy for extra front sight, bore-snake, grease, whatever.
Here's a link to Midway.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...ductNumber=944126492

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
With all the crapola from the airlines these days might want to make sure they'll take three.

I think Will may be right about this - check with both the airlines and your destination. I didnt put three in my Tuffpak for that very reason.

Good hunting - it was absolutely beyond my imagination and expectations!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mine in a Boyt soft case broken and folded over.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying Delta and my agent said okay with three guns in Tuffpack, 22's are legal, taken them before to Zim. Looks like I will take the rifle down and put in soft case like before.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Very exciting. What game are on your list and who are your outfitters and PH?

Take twice as many pictures and videos as you think and post a Hunt Report when you return.

Good luck - wish I were going back soon!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I took my 470 in a Boyt take down case inside a tuff-pak, worked great. I used an Americase on my prior trips and find the tuff-pak easier to use.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I'm heading back for my third trip to Lemco Conservancy. Brent Hein will be ph for my son and I hunting out of Fimbiri Camp. I stumbled upon my dream rifle last month, a 450/400 Jeffery double and plan to stalk and take an old eland bull. My son will try a poor man's buffalo (wildebeast) with the double as well. Whatever else comes along will be a bonus. Just being there is really enough for me.
I'm dumb as a board when it comes to posting pictures, spent a couple of hours several months ago trying to post without luck. I've got some rifles to sell and can't get anyone to post the photos for me. Really need to sell some guns before this trip. Would appreciate the help posting the photos. Many thanks.