New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rounds?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This has been asked before I am sure, but perhaps not for double rifles so: How many rounds of D/R ammo do you take for an elephant hunt? How many for a buff hunt? Let's assume that you have a 450/470/500 caliber range gun. I think you would not need more than, say, 20 rounds apiece but I have no experience.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't hunted what you listed except Aust Water buffalo but
I find I am limited by the 5kg limit on planes per person.

Especially 500 Nitro.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, how many rifles are you taking? If your taking just one rifle for ele I take minimum of 10 softs and 20 solids. Buff minimum of 20 softs, 10 solids.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, still in the planning stages but I was thinking of a double and a Blaser in 375 H&H. I have a CZ in 416 Rigby as well, but it probably won't go.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take all you can and fudge the weight a bit. I've never had them weigh it. I usually take 40 rds per gun and if you are traveling with someone else split your ammo with them. Sometimes bags get lost. If you are hunting elephant take mostly solids and buffalo mostly softs. Your PH will love it if you leave unfired ammo with him. Oh also take some 22 LR ammo maybe 3 or 4 boxes. Those guys are like little kids at Christmas when you give them those.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I have to agree, but I have had it weighed.

Though I am a tight-ass, taking your 11 pounds is a good idea, as well as leaving the leftovers for the poor guy that lost his ammo on the way over.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19313 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
20 X FMJs
10 X soft nose
for both an Ele or Buff hunt.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually hunt three or four elephant on each trip. I normally take two big rifles on these trips as I won't waste valuable elephant hunting time on PG and I like to have a back up rifle capable of taking elephant safely. I usually take 20 rounds, all solids for each. I have been averaging 2.3 rounds per elephant. That means I usually have around thirty rounds left over.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had it queried / weighed as well.

And that particular time I was carry extra Woodleigh Bullets
for someone so it weighed 11kgs. Managed to explain that only 5kg was ammo.

I wouldn't "fudge the weight a bit".

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Take all you can and fudge the weight a bit. I've never had them weigh it. I usually take 40 rds per gun and if you are traveling with someone else split your ammo with them. Sometimes bags get lost. If you are hunting elephant take mostly solids and buffalo mostly softs. Your PH will love it if you leave unfired ammo with him. Oh also take some 22 LR ammo maybe 3 or 4 boxes. Those guys are like little kids at Christmas when you give them those.

I strongly disagree with everything you have to say in your post. Bad advice that could get someone in trouble.

Anything over the weight limit of 5 kg (11 lbs) may be confiscated. If you are carrying ammo for a gun you do not have, it may be confiscated, likewise for your hunting companion. I have had inspectors in Africa look at each headstamp on every round. A few trips and you might get away with it but travel to Africa often enough and you will see it all.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter

Anything over the weight limit of 5 kg (11 lbs) may be confiscated. If you are carrying ammo for a gun you do not have, it may be confiscated, likewise for your hunting companion. I have had inspectors in Africa look at each headstamp on every round. A few trips and you might get away with it but travel to Africa often enough and you will see it all.

MIGHT confiscate what is over the 5 kg limit ?

How about confiscate the lot and not let you travel - which they have every right to do. Might be a tad embarrassing and costly to you.

Hell, we have enough anti's against us already, let's not abuse the IATA regulations and the airlines goodwill - after all, they don't have to carry us and I doubt it would be any skin off their nose to ban all guns and firearms as some carriers have already done.

And of course if IATA decided to clamp down for abuse of privilege,
well, kiss OS hunting goodbye.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take all you can and fudge the weight a bit. I've never had them weigh it. I usually take 40 rds per gun and if you are traveling with someone else split your ammo with them. Sometimes bags get lost. If you are hunting elephant take mostly solids and buffalo mostly softs. Your PH will love it if you leave unfired ammo with him. Oh also take some 22 LR ammo maybe 3 or 4 boxes. Those guys are like little kids at Christmas when you give them those

Ill agree on that and if the problem arises in another country about headstamp or weight it goes away once the USD come out.. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny you would say that about the USD. This year I had all my ammo on my Zim firearm permits and my friend Jim was carrying some of my ammo for me. 577s weigh a lot so I had to split them up. Well Jim decided to throw in 3 boxes of 22LR for good measure and didn't tell me. I was at customs and when I opened the ammo box I paniced. I started handing out $5 bills and all that was said was "wow thats a lot of ammo you can close the box up".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! i was wondering about the 22lr stuff. I thought that the ammo had to match the rifle caliber.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as the ammo is listed on the permit I have not had a problem going to Zim. Others countries I don't know.