New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sarasqueta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from a cape buffalo hunt and the PH was using a 470 NE made by Victor Sarasqueta made in Spain. It was a very nice looking gun and he said they are reasonably priced. Anyone know anything about this rifle or manufacturer?

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one in 375H&H, a sidelock ejector, nothing fancy.

Lower grade guns but good solid working guns.

They are either made when the 2 Sarasquita brothers were together
or one of the 2 brothers made them when they split the company.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say reasonable, can you guesstimate a ball park number of thousands?

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
When you say reasonable, can you guesstimate a ball park number of thousands?

I would say below the level of a William Douglass but that's my view.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His was made in the '60's with some nice engraving. He thought it would sell for around $6,000. Really seemed cheap to me.

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BA:
His was made in the '60's with some nice engraving. He thought it would sell for around $6,000. Really seemed cheap to me.

Was it a sidelock or a boxlock ?

And when did he buy it ?

If it was 15 - 20 years ago, $6000 would have been a lot

If recently, it was cheap !!! LOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor Sarasqueta made them up until the 70's I believe. I bought(and sold, unfortunately)my Sarasqueta sidelock .375 SxS a few years back for around 7 grand. Nice enough gun, shot and handled well I thought.They were imported back then by William Larkin Moore.

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor Sarasqueta ceased operations in 1981. I'm not sure whether they made the Model 13 double rifle right up until the end or not.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

Was it a sidelock or a boxlock ?

And when did he buy it ?

If it was 15 - 20 years ago, $6000 would have been a lot

If recently, it was cheap !!! LOL

It was a sidelock that he bought a couple of years ago. Looks like he got a pretty good deal. I found the same gun for sale for $15,595.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that these rifles and basically all other Spanish rifles

sporadically had "soft" metal issues. And, that this makes a purchase

of any of them a potential big headache. Any one else hear that?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:

Jack,

For the most part, that is a really old bogus story floating around about Spanish shot guns and, the first I've heard, rifles.

The Spanish trade runs from first class firearms to down right junk (pretty much like every country's firearms indudtry.) Everything that makes up a firearm, likewise.

So, some of the reallly low end junk may have has soft steel causing too much pin wear, gritty triggers, etc, but the better guns are just fine, or even better than fine.

The trade is mostly shotguns. And they are all subject to CIP proof.

AyA is the most popular shotgun in England, btw. Made in Eibar Spain. Also, G&H's house guns are made by Arrietta, also in Spain.

I have one Arrietta sidelock 12ga that I bought in 1996 as my do all SxS, that travels, duck hunts, etc... I will use it in rain, snow, mud, etc, when I wouldn't dream of using my English sidelock shotguns... I have in excess of 60,000 rounds through it. Maybe 15,000 rounds ago a hammer cracked. G&H replaced the hammer, and I had them replace the pins to, but the old pins had plenty of life. Had the triggers lightened afte I first bought it. Other than that, it is just a fine gun.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Jack,

For the most part, that is a really old bogus story floating around about Spanish shot guns and, the first I've heard, rifles.

The Spanish trade runs from first class firearms to down right junk (pretty much like every country's firearms indudtry.) Everything that makes up a firearm, likewise.

So, some of the reallly low end junk may have has soft steel causing too much pin wear, gritty triggers, etc, but the better guns are just fine, or even better than fine.

The trade is mostly shotguns. And they are all subject to CIP proof.

AyA is the most popular shotgun in England, btw. Made in Eibar Spain. Also, G&H's house guns are made by Arrietta, also in Spain.

I have one Arrietta sidelock 12ga that I bought in 1996 as my do all SxS, that travels, duck hunts, etc... I will use it in rain, snow, mud, etc, when I wouldn't dream of using my English sidelock shotguns... I have in excess of 60,000 rounds through it. Maybe 15,000 rounds ago a hammer cracked. G&H replaced the hammer, and I had them replace the pins to, but the old pins had plenty of life. Had the triggers lightened afte I first bought it. Other than that, it is just a fine gun.

JPK

tu2 Good news for all JPK! tu2

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
William Larkin Moore = bring at least two checkbooks, and a healthy sized briefcase of skepticism.

Nice inventory, though.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:

www.armeriademadrid.com

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

www.armeriademadrid.com

Nganga

I see no English version of the

Ameria De Madrid Co. web site.

Jack

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Jack, Use Google translate. It's not perfect but you'll get the idea.

http://translate.google.com/tr...d.com%2F&sl=es&tl=en

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

www.armeriademadrid.com

Nganga

I see no English version of the

Ameria De Madrid Co. web site.

There is a "Translate" button on the webpage

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Both sarasqueta guns that I have been around were nice. One was a 375 and the other a 470. I think the 470 is the one for sale at MW Reynolds, they looked alot alike.

Spanish makers can make a truly fine gun, I have a few AyA's and a Grulla royal grade sidelock 20/28 barrel set. They are top shelf.
My AyA 37 is so pretty it brings tears to my eyes.

I dont know if I'd give 15K for one but if the gun shot straight and fit me I'd consider it.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor Sarasqueta was considered a very good gunmaker. Even though he made many guns to a market price point, they were good workmanlike products. His better guns are very high quality.

I have a V. Saresqueta SxS shotgun that is beautiful and very high quality. I don't think that any of the "soft steel" guns came from his shop.

Re the legendary Spanish "soft steel" - I suspect that if true, this problem was limited to low-end shotguns and that by now few of these guns are still around.

Oxon