New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber Beretta DR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have posted that I picked up a DR in 4570Elko mag. Wondering if I could be re-chambered to 450 NE 3.25". Case length is .65" longer and base diameter is .040" larger for the NE round. Only problem might be the rim. .600" dia vs .624" dia. and .060" vs .040" thickness, on the current chambering vs. NE round.
I know the regulation would be off, but velocity improvement is on the order of 200fps with the 480gr.
I suspect it was a 45-70 and might have been rechambered to 4570Elko mag, but unsure. Another option would be to rechamber to the 45-120 Sharps, which is a case .65" longer, but rim and base dia. wouldn't change, like they would on the NE round. Thanks,

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
rechamber to the 45-120 Sharps

thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were you, I'd discuss any such rechambering with J. J. Perodeau at Champlin. Keep in mind that you're removing metal to chamber for a cartridge that it isn't proved for. Rechambering a double rifle can make sense, but it isn't for something for the average gunsmith to mess with. You need a gunmaker thoroughly familiar with double rifles to look at the gun and advise you as to what is viable and safe...and what is not. I've seen some rechamberings that I wouldn't fire on a bet. J. J. knows what he's doing.
----------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless the pressure limits on the 45-70 and the 450 3.25 are close, you're in no man's land. There are folks here on AR that have the talent and experience to know this. I just chimed in because I did have a 45-70 that I had re-chambered to 45-120, and it turned out to be a great long-range plinker with duplex (BP and Smokeless mix). It is a pretty long catrridge, however....not sure if a rifle designed for a 45-70 length cartridge would have enough metal to re-chamber that deeply. Good luck!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As 400 Nitro Express suggests, contact JJ Perodeau.

If he says NO... Then I would not do it under ANY circumstances....

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As 400 Nitro Express suggests, contact JJ Perodeau.

If he says NO... Then I would not do it under ANY circumstances....

+1....you can take what JJ says to the bank.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+2

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did as you suggested and he recommended against it.
Said the 4570Elkomag was a Belgian wildcat and as far as he knew, Beretta never chambered a rifle for it. I suspected it was a 45-70 origionally, but was rechambered.
Maybe if I make it to Enid, I will take the Beretta with me and get his input on just what I have.
Thanks for the help

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockrat:

From what I can see in the photo you posted on the other string, the proof marks seem to indicate original .45/70 Elko, 2950 BAR proof, not re-chamber.

Can you take better photos of all of the proof marks on the barrels you can see and post them? Since it seems to be in proof as a .45/70 Elko now, unless marks indicating re-proof are present, it hasn't been rechambered.
-----------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote