Find
Notify
Tools

Kreighoff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
So as not to hijack Larry's thread I started a new K-gun thread to dispel a couple of rumors and inaccuracies.

First of all watch the video. You can cock the rifle with it in your shoulder. I am average strength, my hands size is above average and maybe that helps. As stated yesterday the rifle is ready to fire when it reached my shoulder so this is in some ways is a non issue, I just wanted to show that it can easily be done.

Second I used my digital scale to measure the weight it takes to push the kickspanner forward. The highest reading was between 21 and 22 pounds. It is more than I thought, but less than has been reported.

The K-gun has its issues, but the kickspanner is not one of them.

Use what you like it matters not to me, but I do not like seeing bad information out there.

http://s135.photobucket.com/al...urrent=M4H011841.flv

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me show my ignorance by asking this question.

To me the "device" on the back of the K guns seems a little odd. Can someone explain to this ignorant bolt rifle shooter exactly what this device is? Do you have to manually cock the gun after every shot?

I am sorry. I am not trying to stir up trouble. I really don't know what it is and how it works.

Thanks.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Larry,

From Kreighoff's site as they explain it better than I would:

"Krieghoff's combi-cocking device combines the safety advantages of manual cocking with the speed advantage of a self-cocking gun.When a gun equipped with the combi-cocking device is fired and the cocking device is left in the forward position, the gun cocks automatically when it is opened and reloaded. It is then ready to fire again. With the cocking device in its rear, safe position, the gun is uncocked and remains uncocked regardless of opening and closing."

The link has a nice view of how the K-gun operates.

http://www.krieghoff.com/ki/in...cle&id=413&Itemid=84

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
This style of safety is great but have heard alot of reports from PHs That clients are activating fire mode with finger on trigger of their Blasers (similar safety system) and having ADs at the most inappropriate time (in blind on Crocodile and Leopard) .
Perhaps these guys are not familiar with their rifles but on your video it seems natural to put your trigger finger close to trigger.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Actually it is easier to activate with my trigger finger not in the trigger guard. Again that is me for others it can be different.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The combawhacky safety is used to shoot yourself in the foot. Works good.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I think you made your point well, Mine is just not possible to cock in that manner.

But like Larry asks...........why??? what is it fixing??

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

But like Larry asks...........why??? what is it fixing??

In shopping for which DR to buy I studied the K gun's cocking device and for me it was a plus. Except under extreme hunting conditions (read rare charges by dangerous animals) I didn't like the idea of closing the gun where live rounds are under cocked firing pins.

The K gun gives you the choice.

Jim

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The post below was taken from the other thread!

quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:

Actually, I have observed your actions.

This video that you posted previously over on the African Hunting Forum seems to contradict what you just posted above. Obviously you are mistaken as your cocking of the rifle before you ever shoulder it is plainly visible.

http://s135.photobucket.com/al...70Nitro200-09-19.flv

Cane Rat, I don't think the film contradicts what Mike said at all! The first two shots the rifle IS cocked before he takes it to his shoulder. Here he has his eyes on the target and cocks the rifle before he mounts the rifle as most would do after just loading the rifle that will soon be timed for a re-loading for shots three and four. After the reload the rifle is already cocked so no need for a re-cock on the way to the shoulder just as Mike claims.

Even with regular safeties,this is the way I cock a double rifle. Once the target is found, and it is decided to be taken I too cock the rifle before shouldering, and on shots three and four there is no need to cock the rifle again, because just like the regular manual safety, the K-gun is already in the fire position, for all subsequent shots.

I simply don't see the problem here. I do however see a problem with the Blaser, because it must be re-cocked every time the action is opened. I see no problem with cocking the K-gun at or about waist level as you start up with the rifle for the first two. If you are looking at a target you want to shoot, nobody is going to be between you and the target so what is the problem with cocking the rifle on the up take?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote