Find
Notify
Tools

O/U rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I really prefer the feel and look of a side-by-side, but with the Valmet/Tikka/Finnclassic system, I could be shooting a double in 9.3X74R for a fraction of the price of a Chapuis Ugex. For those of you who have hunted with over/under rifles, have you been happy with the guns?
NitroX -- you have a Tikka don't you? How does the jack-screw regulation system hold up?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Bill, I own, and have owned O/U double rifles, and have hunted with them a lot. I just don't hunt dangerous game with an O/U! Though I would rather have a S/S, the O/U has some things that are very nice, and some draw backs. Most are non-selective single trigger rifles, and the bottom barrel is always fired first, because the recoil of that barrel cocks the top barrel, in most cases. This causes two things I don't like in a DGR! #1 is if you get a missfire on the bottom barrel, the top barrel will not fire till the rifle is either broken open and a bottom barrel reload is done, or some fancy SLAM is done to set the top barrel. All which may be when time is of the essence! Eeker #2 a single trigger takes away the main thing that makes a double rifle so dependable, being two completely indipendant rifles on the same stock. If anything happens in one side, it has absolutely no effect on the other side in a double trigger rifle. If the trigger happens to break, in any way, the whole rifle is out of service, leaveing you with a 9 pound club! Not a weapon I'd choose for fighting Buffalo!

The rifle must be opened much wider to reload, and the loading it's self can be a pain to do quickly, especially if scoped.

Suffice to say, If all I had was a proper chambered O/U double rifle, and a proper chambered bolt rifle for a close encounter with a Buffalo, I take the Double, but my preference would be a properly chambered S/S double rifle with two triggers, and a non-automatic safety, over either of the others!
I had one of the old VALMET SHOOTING SYSTEMS, and I liked the regulating system in it. however Mine was a 375 Winchester, that I re-chambered to 375JDJ, and permently soldered the regulation solid, and installed ribs, on both the 12/375JDJ, and the 375JDJ double barrels! The shot barrels didn't have the regulation feature. Sadly, I sold that rifle, and wish I hadn't! It did have a single trigger, but it was selective, as the Valmet cocks both barrels when opened! That feature is only second place to double triggers, IMO! I understand the new ones are available with double triggers, and that is the way I'd go, given the choice!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have owned 2 Valmets with numerous barrel sets, 2 of which were 9.3x74r. Thinking seriously of getting a FinnClassic in 9.3 as I really miss the Valmets. I have no trepidation using them on dangerous game in Africa. I believe the reliability is fine. As to a single trigger failing I have had numerous shotguns over the years with single triggers and have NEVER had a failure in thousands of rounds fired and I cannot believe I'm the only one with this record. And don't comeback 'but those were SHOTGUNS' cause I don't think it makes a bit of difference. I can't number the number of centerfire misfires I've ever had cause I can't REMEMBER ever having one. I must not of had many or I would surely remember. You could also go blind just as you pull the trigger but you PROBABLY won't. I see no REAL reason NOT to use an O/U on dangerous game. The only thing I didn't like with the Valmet's was the open barrel construction, but I understand you can now get ribs to fill the opening, in fact I ordered a set yesterday to see how they attach and look. They are only $25 a pair which is very reasonable. I will admit I liked my Chapuis UGEX SxS in 9.3 better than the Valmet, but not really $3000+ difference better.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas, thanks. A guy here in Oregon up near Portland is offering the Finnclassics. Perhaps I will have a chance to handle one. I'd probably be ahead to just buy a CZ .375, but there's just something about two barrels, no matter how they are stacked ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
The statement that on an O/U the top barrel will not fire if the bottom barrel misfires is not exactly correct. It depends on the cocking system used.

If the gun has an inertia cocking system, the recoil of the first barrel makes "ready" the hammer of the second. With this system one barrel must fire to set a toggle over to the hammer of the other.

If the gun has a mechanincal cocking, each hammer is independently operated. The barrels will fire regardless of what the other barrel does.

To find out which type you have on a single trigger gun ( using snap caps ) pull the trigger once to operate the first hammer, then pull the trigger again. If the the second hammer trips you have a mechanincal gun. If it does not operate the second hammer and the gun is in proper working order, changes are you have an inertia operated system.

Speaking only for myself, I would be relectant to use an inertia operated O/U for Dangerous game.

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Just kidding of course... animal

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, there is no law that says you must accept my reasons for not useing O/U double rifles for use on Dangerous game, nor is it a rule that you must use a double trigger, or non automatic safety! Those are choices you make for yourself! The question was,had I ever owned/hunted with an O/U double rifle, and was I happy with it! See quote below!

quote:
Bill/Oregon
one of us
Posted 25 October 2006 21:57
I really prefer the feel and look of a side-by-side, but with the Valmet/Tikka/Finnclassic system, I could be shooting a double in 9.3X74R for a fraction of the price of a Chapuis Ugex. For those of you who have hunted with over/under rifles, have you been happy with the guns?

I believe I answered that question, and gave the reasons why I did not use the O/U double rifles to hunt dangerous game! That, I believe, is my choice!

quote:
by ZIMBABWE
As to a single trigger failing I have had numerous shotguns over the years with single triggers and have NEVER had a failure in thousands of rounds fired and I cannot believe I'm the only one with this record. And don't comeback 'but those were SHOTGUNS' cause I don't think it makes a bit of difference. I can't number the number of centerfire misfires I've ever had cause I can't REMEMBER ever having one.

All that is true Zim, and you are right of course the triggers are very reliable! The only difference between them is that if one breaks you are still left with a working single shot, and if the other breaks you are left with NOTHING! YOUR PHRASE: don't come back with they never break, because anything man made canbreak. It doesn't make any difference which gun you are useing with a single trigger, you are right. It does, however, make a difference if you are shooting at quail, or Buffalo, if it breaks.

quote:
By ZIMBABWE

The only thing I didn't like with the Valmet's was the open barrel construction, but I understand you can now get ribs to fill the opening, in fact I ordered a set yesterday to see how they attach and look. They are only $25 a pair which is very reasonable. I will admit I liked my Chapuis UGEX SxS in 9.3 better than the Valmet, but not really $3000+ difference better.

That was my bitch with the Valmet, which is the same rifle, and as I said I fixed that with real ribs, because the ribs were not available then. Those removable ribs will sell a lot of Valmet/Tikkas, that otherwise wouldn't sell. As far as likeing the Chapuis $3000 more than the Valmet, that is a personal thing. Though I like the Valmt/TIKKA/ rifles, I would rather pay the difference, for a S/S double rifle.

The Valmet/Tikka is a a better rifle, IMO, because it has a machanical action cocking system, and a selective trigger, which allows one to have a choice between a soft in one barrel, and a solid in the other for the first shot!

Your not ever haveing a missfire, or a broken single trigger,hammer spring, or fireing pin on the bottom barrel, in no way means it can't happen, and if it does you are in trouble. With an inertia system it doesn't matter which one breaks. With the spring or fireing pin breaking ona cock on opening, the spring or pin going still leaves you with the other barrel, but if the trigger goes you out of service till fix time.

There is an old saying that proves it's self valuable on occasion! That is, Keep It Simple Stupid (K.I.S.S.) That is the wole ball of wax where DGRs are concerned, to keep one thing from putting you out of the game at a bad moment!

quote:
The statement that on an O/U the top barrel will not fire if the bottom barrel misfires is not exactly correct. It depends on the cocking system used.

If the gun has an inertia cocking system, the recoil of the first barrel makes "ready" the hammer of the second. With this system one barrel must fire to set a toggle over to the hammer of the other.

If the gun has a mechanincal cocking, each hammer is independently operated. The barrels will fire regardless of what the other barrel does.

Speaking only for myself, I would be relectant to use an inertia operated O/U for Dangerous game.

Your description of the cocking systems is absolutely correct. The Valmet is one of the FEW single trigger O/U double rifles that has the system that cocks both barrels on opening. You are right with this system, the top barrel will fire no matter what the bottom barrel does. HOWEVER, can you name one O/U double rifle with a non-selective trigger, that also has a cocking system that cocks both barrels on opening! I certainly can't think of one! When fitted with a selectivetrigger, the action would have to be one that cocks both barrels or it would negate haveing a selective trigger. I agree with you, I certainly don't want a double rifle of any configuration, that has an inurtia cocking system, for dangerous game. The Valmet is a much better choice than any O/U double rifle I can think of, and it would be even better with double triggers, and a non-auto safety.

I just say this, use what ever you want, but those are the reasons for my choice! You make your own choice, but now you are informed as to both opinions of the rifles in question. beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
macd37..... shame on you !!!

you totally forgot the best o/u double rifle made.
the merkel has the features you deem most desirable = double trigggers, anson system cocks both barrels , no inertia to set off 2nd barrel.and they have been around a long time, have great looks & performance. not cheap like the tikka / valmet but you get what you pay for if you are lucky.

i took red stag in scotland with my 303 merkel scoped sidelock and fallow deer in wales. it functioned flawlessly and the 7 x 57r caliber is perfect for uk and european hunting

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Nitrox have trouble with a Valmet coming out of regulation during air travel, making it non-useful for a hunt? I wonder if this is common.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Didn't Nitrox have trouble with a Valmet coming out of regulation during air travel, making it non-useful for a hunt? I wonder if this is common.

500, I've had four of them, and I never had one come un regulated. I had one that was chambered for 375 Win, that I re-chambered for 375 JDJ, and then after regulating to my handload, soldered the regulation blocks solid, and installed side ribs. Needless to say that one did come un-glued either! All mine have been very reliable rifles!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Heym (1975) O/U in 9.3 that I really enjoy. If I shoot two pairs in rapid session, shots from the same barrel touch and both barrels shoot about 2" apart perfectly verticle. The dbl triggers are nice and the front is set. Its fitted with claw mounts but someone stole the scope off the rifle at a gunshow when it belonged to the previous owner. I plan on having it rescoped. I really do enjoy the rifle and for deer/elk/pig, o/u is fine by me. But oh how I do wish the barrels were sxs...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
macd37..... shame on you !!!

you totally forgot the best o/u double rifle made.
the merkel has the features you deem most desirable = double trigggers, anson system cocks both barrels , no inertia to set off 2nd barrel.and they have been around a long time, have great looks & performance. not cheap like the tikka / valmet but you get what you pay for if you are lucky.

i took red stag in scotland with my 303 merkel scoped sidelock and fallow deer in wales. it functioned flawlessly and the 7 x 57r caliber is perfect for uk and european hunting

you are correct, of course, but I never owned one of them so I can't comment on the O/Us! I have a Merkel S/S 9.3X74R, that is one of my favorite rifles! It has selective ejectors, cocking indicaters, and weighs in at 8.3 pounds loaded! I'm not really fond of O/U double rifles, but I do have a couple, and have owned several in verious small chamberings up to the 375JDJ Valmet mentioned in my post to 500grains. I see on the Tikka website that the Valmet/tikka are available now with double triggers,and cocking indicaters! They are not pritty rifles, but they are tough items, and all mine were very accurate!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My FN-Browning O/U has a selective inertia single trigger. Opening the gun cocks both bbls. And in case of a misfire in the 1st. bbl., moving the safety/selector on-off cocks the 2nd. bbl.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
My FN-Browning O/U has a selective inertia single trigger. Opening the gun cocks both bbls. And in case of a misfire in the 1st. bbl., moving the safety/selector on-off cocks the 2nd. bbl.

Thanks Andre'that is good to know! That is far superior to haveing the slam the rifle butt down on your hand to get the next shot, with a Leopard chewing on your leg!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

I used to lust for tall, slim blonds with big eyes Smiler Smiler Now all I dream of is a prewar merkel 9.3x74r s x s with scalloped receiver, cocking indicators & sideclips. Ejectors, intercepting sears, cart. trap, & horn triggerguiard would be tolerated. Wink Wouldn't ever hunt with it but man, I could really lie with it.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. But, after you get the rifle and get used to owning it , you'll turn back to blondes Wink

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote