Find
Notify
Tools

Limits of Stock Bending
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
I've handled several DRs in the last few months and none have come close to fitting me. Two things against me:

1. The drop in the combs has always been way too low for me to "cheek" the stock and see the sights. The last custom bolt gun I had built, the smith and I worked on the template stock over two days to get the comb up enuf for me to use the open sights.

2. I'm left handed - this doesn't seem to be a large problem on most of the rifles, but is on some.

So, my question - how much can a stock be bent? I would think it would be easier to adjust for cast, but can the entire buttstock be bent up? Just guessing of course, but by my guestimates some of the butts would need to be raised at least an inch. Possible?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the grain of the wood and how it's inletted it's possible to bend a stock for cast more than you might think possible but the more it's bent the more likely it is to "spring back" at least a portion of the sitance moved.

The stock maker I use won't even try bending a stock up or down.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Antlers,

With the infa red stock bending methods I've seen shotgun stocks bent to incredibly malformations just to show that it can be done.

With a DR you would want to bend as little as possible due to the extra recoil over a SG, but for minor fitting purposes it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm currently in the process of getting 2 new guns fitted, and this is best done with an experienced gun fitter and shooting coach to write the prescription. The good thing is that it is all relatively chheap to do, and makes a massive difference to your shooting.

Good luck,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
By the way, Depending on the rifle you could always get a custom stock made if you don't want to run the risk of weakening a stock by bending it.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tangs may have to be bent.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bend alot of stocks for both cast and drop. Cast is usually easier, but both depend heavily on grain structure and flow. the type of wood really makes a difference too. English walnut bends much better than american. An inch is lot to bend at the butt, I think the most I've been able to get has been about 5/8". Every gun is different, but I bet a stock can be bent to fit you.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the comb is way too low, a good stocker can inlet a new piece of wood into the comb giving you the height you need. If the fellow is really good you may not notice the work.

BTW, I'm a lefty too. You can bend a standard tang rifle's stock but I've been told that long extended tang rifles' stocks are trouble. I have also adjusted a stock by removing wood from the right side when a bend wouldn't do the trick.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
The first shotgun stock I bent was a Cashmore sidelock. When I mounted the gun with a snug cheek, the bead was a full 2 inches below my line-of-sight over the standing breech. English walnut admittedly, but it bent perfectly in one pass. I have done 3 or 4 since, one sprang back a little and needed a second go, which worked. The others have never moved.

I use hot linseed-oil ladled over the wrist, rather than heat lamps, worried about drying out the wood, but most professionals recommend the heat lamp it would seem.

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Lefty also, and I have had numerous stocks bent. The best way seems to be the infra-red method, there are other suitable methods that also will get the job done. Michael Merker from Hendersonville North Carolina is great with stock bending and can answer your questions, if you need his address or phone number PM me.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote