Tools

24" or 26" barrel ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
What do you recomend for a 9,3x74 ???
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't own a double....yet...but if when I do, it will have 26" barrels. The action is short enough that the extra length in the barrels will still keep the overall length close to a 22" barreled bolt action rifle. Also, a little extra velocity never hurt anything. Again, just my opinion.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
For the 9.3, I would suggest 26".

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen.
So a 26" will be like a 22" bolt rifle ??
And a double with 24" will be like a 20" bolt action rifle aprox.??

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHY DON'T YOU LOOK AT WHAT IS OFFERED AS STANDARD BY THE GUNMAKERS. THEY KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE THINGS..... UNLESS YOU WANT REAL VELOCITY AND GO TO THE OLD STYLE 28" BARRELS WITH FULL LENGTH SOLID TOP RIB.

24" IS PLENTY

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There is no need for 26" barrels on a 9.3X74R double rifle! Every maker, I know of, uses 23.5 to 24" barrels for the 9.3! I have two 9.3X74R double rifles, and one id 23.5", the other has 24" and because these rifles are light when compared to larger chambering doubles, they ballance prefectly with only very slightly muzzle heavy, the way they are supposed to be. The actions are small, about the same as a 28 ga shotgun. My merkel 140E S/S double is 23.5" and points like a fine 410 shotgun, but weighs in at 8.3 lbs! beer

PS:tomo577 what is the deal with the upper case in all your posts? This puzzles me, as posting in upper case is considered to be yelling at the person you are posting to! Confused It really doen't matter, I just wondered what the deal is!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo
I have a British 450 No2 with 28" bbls and a British 450/400 3 1/4" with 26 inch bbls.
I like the longer bbls on the bigger bores.
My Chapuis has the standard 23.5 or 24 inch bbls, and balances just fine.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for mac d

sorry about the upper case - i use that in my emails because i can't type. forgot about it here

i'm new to all this and would never have in a million years thought that using all caps was a problem. by the way, what does the abbreviation ttt mean ?

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers!!

tomo577,
Thanks for stop yelling at me Big Grin

L

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
for mac d

sorry about the upper case - i use that in my emails because i can't type. forgot about it here

i'm new to all this and would never have in a million years thought that using all caps was a problem. by the way, what does the abbreviation ttt mean ?

It's no problem, was just wondering! Confused I didn't see anything in your post that you would be yelling about!
Are you sure the abbreviation is ttt, or is it btt!

I don't know what ttt is, but btt is "brought to top". When a subject goes on page two, and you want it to stay on page one,because you want answers, you reply to it, by typeing the letters "btt, or BTT, in the field, and enter it. This is done on the classified section quite a lot! This brings the string back to the top of page one! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
ttt means "to the top" basicly the same thing.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Double rifles ought to wear 26" barrels!
Butch Searcy offers his 450/400 3 inch in 26" barrels! Perhaps he has the same for a 9.3X74R?

Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post

My FN 9,3x74R has 26" bbls., which makes for a short, handy rifle, with a still shorter OAL than a 24" barreled bolt-action. A friend of mine owns a short tubed Chapuis O/U and it looks kind of stubby.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote