THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How to mount a Docter Red Dot on my Double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to mount a Docter Red Dot on my Double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted
I want to mount a Docter Optic sight on my 500 Nitro Double. It has a rib but is not drilled and tapped for a scope. I would like a quick detach mount. What is the best way to mount it?

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have asked JJ Perodeau the same question about mounting a Trijicon RMR06 to my .303 double. No reply as yet as I imagine he's very busy.

Of note is that the ribs, as I look at them, are not wide enough for most rings/mounts even if you are able to mill a slot on each side to attach them to.

Please post if you find out from another gunsmith and I'll do the same when JJ gets back to me.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I called Merkel USA today. They had me send them images of my rifle and said they will try to figure something out.They said they could mill down the Rib but I didn't want to do it that way. I'll post when they get back to me.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
You could do it the heym way. Where they mill the sides of the rib and a small hole in the top. Looks clean. I had JJ do one of my older Heyms the same way before Heym was doing them all this way. Chris will sell you the low profile mount Im sure.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another quality but non intrusive method is to build a base that is fit to the slot for the rear sight. Costly but no extra holes and slick when done correctly.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would second JJ as he has cut the rib on an older Heym 470 I have and I was going to get him to do my Merkel 470 but I sold the Merkel. The nice thing about this method of mounting is it does not show when the red dot is removed unless you are really looking for it.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I see they sell the mount at Heym. I will call JJ tomorro and see how far out he is.

https://www.heymusa.com/store/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Key questions here:
-- how wide is the Heym rib?
-- what does the base use for a recoil stop?

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ did my 45-70 and .577 NE. Worked out great with Dokter but Aimpoint affected regulation too much