THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hornady Regulation Load Disassembly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Regulation Load Disassembly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new 470 Heym was regulated at my request with Hornady 500 gr DGS. As a starting point,I purchased a box of ammo to chronograph and disassemble for powder and weight determination.
Disassembly yielded a weight of 110.6 gr +/-.3 gr on a small sample, of what looks like H4831...size and color comparison to my various powders on hand (H,IMR,RL stuff). It is not a Short Cut sizing.

Understandably, if it is H4831 it's not a canister grading, but the distinctive brownish
color of H's cylindrical granules is unmistakeable.

Any confirmation by others will be appreciated.
Thanks

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Just call Hornady & speak to a tech,they will give you load data,I called them to inquire re my 450/400,I got the info that I needed no problem.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Per Hornady techs it is H4831 in their 450NE loads so you are probably right.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Bob,
Just call Hornady & speak to a tech,they will give you load data,I called them to inquire re my 450/400,I got the info that I needed no problem.

Bill...called them,and yes it's H4831 reg cut.Data from their computer data base by lot number.
Good folks,the Hornady group.
Thanks

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It is H4831. Just be aware the amount of powder in the case is just a reference. They load to achieve a specific velocity and they use bulk powder. In other words if you use the same measure out your canister, it might be faster or slower. For example, I took a factory Hornady 450NE apart and weighed the charge. It was 91.3gr. When I loaded the same using identical components, the load was significantly slower. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Merkel and Searcy in 470NE both regulate well with Hornady factory and Butch's favorite load of 106gr of IMR4831 (solids at 105gr). This load chronographs at about 2175fps in both rifles.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
My Merkel and Searcy in 470NE both regulate well with Hornady factory and Butch's favorite load of 106gr of IMR4831 (solids at 105gr). This load chronographs at about 2175fps in both rifles.

I've used that load, or close to it, in a number of .470 doubles. It seems to work well in most modern doubles.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a load for my 470 Searcy of 500 grain bullet (any make)in front of 110 grains of H-4831 long cut powder. I don't use short cut as the whole idea of using H-4831 is to fill the case as much as possible to negate the need for fillers. In addition H-4831 is not temperature sensitive as is IMR-4831. Velocity from my 24" barrels is 2,145 fps. Looks like the same as what Hornady uses. I think they need to send me some $$$ for using my load.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote