Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger work
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
How much I can improve the triggers of my Sabatti ?

They are horrible !! I sent the rifle to a gunsmith and he improve them a little bit but it is still a pain to pull them.

When is too much ? It is risky to lighten them too much ?

Thanks
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
Related question

Do you find them to be rough as well as heavy or are they smooth operating and just heavy?

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
The right one is heavy but not rough...or not too much. The left one is rough and heavy ,,

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done the triggers on several Sabttis now. It can be done, but there are some of idiosyncrasies with the Sabattis. While they are ostensibly A&D actions, they have been "updated" for cheaper manufacture, but not all of these things make them easier to work on. The main one is the sear return spring. These apply pressure on the long limb of the sear, rather than the short portion like a standard A&D action. These springs are pretty strong, reach a long way out onto the arm, and add to the trigger pull. That said, I have been able to adjust the pulls to 5 & 6 pounds. The problem has been that the sear return springs make the trigger pulls a bit "mushy". When shot quickly like a double rifle, this has not been a real problem, but is noticeable, when one is squeezing the trigger when target shooting.

I am toying with some lighter and shorter sear return springs, but have not made any yet and don't know if it will help or not, My gut feel is yes (otherwise I wouldn't try it), but I have not tried it yet.

Another issue is the depth of the sear notch - it is real deep - and the sears do not bottom out in the sear notch, they stop against the triggers. I have had to remove some material from the triggers to "crisp up" the pulls. If it gets too severe, the long arms of the sears may have to be bent.

One also has to be careful when the stock is re-installed. On one gun I worked on, when I tightened the though bolt on the stock, it put a slight twist in the lower trigger plate and affected the trigger pulls. In this case, it made them way light and I had to do some additional work on the trigger blades.

This is not everything, but covers the major issues with the Sabatti triggers. A competent double gun gunsmith can do the work, but expect them to whine a bit and it may cost more than normal A&D trigger work.

Ellis

Ellis450

Posts: 45 | Location: United States | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am satisfied with 8 to 10 lb. triggers that break clean and crisp..Doubles IMO don't need light triggers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote