THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I did a bad thing at Game Fair in London this weekend!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I did a bad thing at Game Fair in London this weekend!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello the crew.

Well it looks like I own a WW Greener 12 Bore rifle.
I was at the Game Fair in London over the weekend, and a WW Greener 12 Bore rifle followed me home.

Hammer Gun
Damascus Steel Barrels
Recent Birmingham nitro proof
Jones underlever
Fully rifled bores
3 Leaf sight.
12x65 chambers
Antique (Pre 1898 )

Now what?

Anybody got any info ?

I have sent an email to Graham Greener, but gun came with no info.
So bullet weight and style and dram requirements are a mystery.

Should be fun.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Looks like it is in beautiful condition. Gotta love gorgeous Damascus barrels.

Mike

Posts: 21390 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. And, I'm glad to see Game Fair is back in play after they folded tent a few years ago. Will have to check their schedule for next year...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Congrats,nice piece,lots of fun ahead for you Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if it followed you home you couldn't very well leave it outside...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9842 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are really neat, unusual hammers, with some sort of rotating locking safety on the pin? Never seen that before.

Is it rifled for the full length of the barrels or just the last part like a Paradox?

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. I would start with Diggory Hadoke's great book on hammer guns and also Cal Pappas' very comprehensive book on bore rifles and their loads. This will get you started.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, Nitro, what does that rifle weigh? I'm guessing 12-13 pounds or so.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Retracting strikers, little horn on the hammer draws them back, gun featured on page 82 of Diggory's book on hammer guns

As i said RIFLE not Paradox.

Feels like 12 pounds or so.

I have Cal's book need to read it again.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Who do you use to get guns imported back into the US?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the one from Mr. Marriot. Congratulations Chap!. Nice looking gun.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Congratulatons! 12s are great fun to shoot. I kept my Baker and sold my Whistler.

If you need data I can send what I shoot in my 12. Is yours rifled for a ball or conical? Either way, I can give you Blue Dot that should regulate fine.

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I was planning to give you a PM, The gun will be sent to US and my smith will give it the once over, I will be home next year and then the adventure will begin.

I will slug it and get the groove and land diameters and twist rate, and then we can work up some loads.

The rifeling looks like "normal" rifeling to me though the lands are not very wide, what does ball and slug rifeling look like and how do they differ ?

Bwana,

It is antique gun (Pre 1898 ) so no import paperwork needed for US, British export permit needed, seller is arranging it.

Regards
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Dutch, this gun is in Diggory's book page 62 on "self acting " strikers.
Bwana, This gun is 1868 so it is an Antique no importer needed I can bring it in by myself and it is Tax free. Just need a reciept of purchase that specifies age and fill out a CBP 7523.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Jens, were you at the Game Fair or did you see it on the website ?
When and where is next fair similar to this, Germany, France or Belguim ?

Regards
Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
She is waiting on export permit at the exporter.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Gun has finally landed.
Will get chamber casts and bore slugs soon.
Sights need to be tightened and striker needs to be replaced.
And a good once over.

Then the fun begins.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it to the utmost!!! Hammer guns have a wonderful aspect to them, so photogenic...

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote