THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    WJ Jeffery 577 3 1/4 and price questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WJ Jeffery 577 3 1/4 and price questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Saw Cabelas had one for $20K; looked to be in really good shape.

Is this a good price or a good rifle?

They had an old WJ Jeffery in 450/400 a few months back that went really cheap, like $13K or something.

Also saw they have a John Rigby Co 470NE for around $23K as well; manufactured 2000.

Comments?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AH, Watch the 577s. Many are Black Powder rifles and called 577 Express. Even the ones that have been re-proofed will handle only a 650gr bullet at 1,900 fps or so.

The Rigby at $22K is one from Paso Robles, Cal...built on a Merkel action. I'm not saying that's bad....just that it's not a "real" Rigby.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's what I was thinking on the 577, that it was black powder.

Yep - the Rigbys after 1997 are made in CA.

Personally, I'd like to find a nice Army Navy in 470 NE

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yep - was there today; black powder

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much did the gun weigh and when was it made? Those old heavy 577 bpes, 650gr @1850 and 4950ftlbs of energy. What could you possibly hunt with that??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rabbit!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatsby, the gun is 11#5 ounces, a bit heavy for a BPE in my opinion, but stout. Then again, it is a 3.25" 650/177gn gun, so a step up from the ~560gn 6 dram BPEs. As you said, a 650 at 1850 will do fine for everything on this planet.

My Jeffery SN4727 was made in 1896, so this of course predates it.

My only comments are that the stock has obviously refinished/altered, and the engraving is quite worn. That means the gun has seen some hard use, so I'd want to see the bores in person for sure. Not show stoppers by any means, (guns that have been carried in the field enough to wear the engraving like that have soul a new rifle never will!) but just someting to check out. Also, that isn't the maker's case unless the barrels were originally 30"!!!!

Very cool rifle in my opinion, but well used/worn. For me it would come down to the inspection vs price. My 2 cents Wink

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
Rabbit!

Cheers
Tinker

..okay then...but very big rabbits then Big Grin

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatsby:
How much did the gun weigh and when was it made? Those old heavy 577 bpes, 650gr @1850 and 4950ftlbs of energy. What could you possibly hunt with that??

A 650gr @1850 and 4950ftlbs of energy will still flatten a Buffalo if hit right.

That's what made up (on 12 Gauge actions) 577 Nitro for black gun shoot (maybe a bit faster) and they have no problem killing most Buffalo I've seen.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens-

quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:

..okay then...but very big rabbits then Big Grin

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay..Al-Quida-rabbits attacking a knight
of the crusads.. The .577ex are hereby justified..hahaha

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote