New
Find
Notify
Tools

WJ Jeffery 577?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Morning Men, Please excuse my ignorance. Did Jeffery build the doubles bearing his name? Or were they built by another maker? If so who? Thanks for any insight.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jeffery farmed out alot of his work ( built very few guns if any from scratch).

At one time Leonard did alot of the barreling and action work for Jeffery, Hollis and others. At one time I think he was a primary supplier for WJ Jeffery.

Jeffery was more of a "branded seller" than a builder. Just like they are today Wink

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505ED, Thank You, that being the case, would it be less than a wise investment as oposed to going with a in house english maker?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is what it is. Does it shoot, is it in good condition, do you find it pleasing?

Who actually "made" it is really a red herring as it is the name on the barrel that matters.

Jeffrey is a "good" name. Maybe more so that Westley-Richards in fact.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
It is what it is. Does it shoot, is it in good condition, do you find it pleasing?

Who actually "made" it is really a red herring as it is the name on the barrel that matters.

Jeffrey is a "good" name. Maybe more so that Westley-Richards in fact.

Jerry, I agree with most of what enfieldspares says. If it shoots, if it feels good, WJ Jeffery will always be a "name" in the english gun trade and be worth some $$$$ cash. Heck FAMARS makes there boxlocks to Paul Roberts spec's now(not a bad thing).

Now to compare WJ Jeffery to Westley Richards--Humm! I cant buy that! Wink. I'm pretty darn fond of WR!!!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:

Now to compare WJ Jeffery to Westley Richards--Humm! I cant buy that! Wink. I'm pretty darn fond of WR!!!

Ed

I agree, to put WR above Jeffrey is pushing the limits a bit Big Grin

Everything else said about the Jeffrey is 100%. if the gun is in good nick,
shoot, works and looks good and you don't over pay for it, you won't have
a problem.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very informative info Men, Thanks, the more I research, study, and try to learn on double rifles the more I realize how expansive the subject really is, with its rich history, class, lore, and just plain cool factor. Ironic that the WR was mentioned, its one of the {3} doubles on my hit list...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
follow the old saying "buy the gun, not the name". I have some very nice British guns and none were bought because of the makers name. I have a Westley, a Holland, a Henry and others. Each one I bought, I had passed up several by the same maker before settling one the one that currently lives in the safe. Good luck!
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really matters little as they are a work of art and function.

Here is one in near mint condition.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
skb, I agree, I'll have to log some miles to put my hands on it, but without fit, function, and condition check I have nothing......465H&H very nice, I suspose that fine rifle bears your namesake?

one of us
posted Hide Post
465, is that a Jeffery 577 or a 600???

I do not wnat to hurt anybodies "feelings", but I think Jeffery's doubles are some of the beat on the Planet.

Jeffery dod not build them, Leonard, and others did. They are some of my if not my most favorite doubles. I have never handled a double by Leonard, Jeffery, Hollis, Edwinson Green, etc., that did not fit me great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
465, is that a Jeffery 577 or a 600???

I do not wnat to hurt anybodies "feelings", but I think Jeffery's doubles are some of the beat on the Planet.

Jeffery dod not build them, Leonard, and others did. They are some of my if not my most favorite doubles. I have never handled a double by Leonard, Jeffery, Hollis, Edwinson Green, etc., that did not fit me great.

Your absolutely right! I guess I had a senior moment because this one is a 600 Nitro. Jeffery did also make this pattern in 577.

I owned a 450/400 3" Jeffery once and it was the nicest finished, best balance double I have ever owned and that includes over a dozen English doubles. Sure wish I still owned it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote