THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Polll: Who makes the finest Double Rifles today?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polll: Who makes the finest Double Rifles today?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Blaser popcorn

.......... jumping jumping jumping

DAVE diggin to bury the Blaser is more appropriate than popcorn to get a favorable response! Big Grin

rotflmo

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best one is the one I own....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one has not witnessed an Hartmann & Weiss they are probably not in a position to soundly answer the question.
If ya dont have that much $$$ then id get an quality bush basher FAMARS Venus. .

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
It's entertaining to see some guys emotionally attached to their rifle/rifle makers. You just cannot compare a 15,000-25,000 DR with a 60,000-150,000 DR your paying for more than just the name.

Dirk I understand your take on this thread, but for all practical purposes what will a $125,000 double rifle do that most $25,000 doubles will not? Just one thing will do, other that give the owner bragging rights! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Mac I agree. This subject is so subjective that it's hard to even talk about. Each party in the discussion will be viewing it from there own perspective.

I know I was cought up in it for a long time and I have aquired some really high end stuff, both doubles and otherwise. I find that I have a few guns that are so nice that I don't dare to use them as a hunter.

It's not only you and I who feel this way. I was talking to Gerhard Hartmann one time about our favorite hunting rifles and he made the comment that for me one of his rifles would not be appropreate for the kind of hunting I do.

I can see that, If I put that much into bulding a rifle I woulden't want to have a customer take it out in the conditions I've been known to hunt.

As far as price a $20,000.00 double rifle will be the canvas for $100,000.00 worth of art work. Yes the wood will be up graded and maybe a little more attention to fit and finnish. Side locks add to the cost but not as much as most belive. Still most of the expense comes from artwork, namely engraving.

I've seen Italian shotguns that have nearly two years time into them by one engraver. If you buy that shotgun for whatever amount of money then add two years of a skilled masters wages on top of that and you will have a very expensive gun. I know I've done it and now I keep them well locked up in a vault and they don't see the light of day.

I have come full circle with this and I now find more plesure in the guns I own that will accompany me into the field.

I watched Donald Trump jr. shoot an elephant on TV with what appeared to be a Holland & Holland double rifle. I guess thats fine although I would reccomend taking a little extra care and maintanance. I don't abuse my guns but I have been known to hunt in some extream invironments. Yes most people will use there stainless bolt rifles in these places but when you want to hunt with a double rifle you hunt with a double rifle.

When I bought my Merkel 8x57 double one thing that attracted me to it was that it was well used and for a good price I could have a double I would'nt mind taking to the field.

http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/017959

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote