Find
Notify
Tools

Solid load for 500NE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I'm looking for some information on loads of IMR4831 to get Woodleigh (570 gr.) solids to shoot to the same point of impact as the softs.

The gun is a Searcy PH and I'm using Butchs recomended load of 110 gr. for the softs. Anybody got a slightly reduced charge weight that prints the softs and solids in the same place?

I tried reducing the powder to 108 gr. but that was too much.

Thanks for your time Big Grin

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
Guys,

I'm looking for some information on loads of IMR4831 to get Woodleigh (570 gr.) solids to shoot to the same point of impact as the softs.

The gun is a Searcy PH and I'm using Butchs recomended load of 110 gr. for the softs. Anybody got a slightly reduced charge weight that prints the softs and solids in the same place?

I tried reducing the powder to 108 gr. but that was too much.

Thanks for your time Big Grin

Roi

This question you will need to answer for yourself, through trail and error.

But to try a shortcut, send a PM to 500 Grains and ask him what the powder weight difference between his soft and solid loads are for his two 500's. That might narrow down your search.

FWIW, my rifle (not a 500) requires a bit MORE powder for the solids to make the solids and softs shoot the same. Every rifle is unique.

From discussions with 500 Grains, he tells me that he doesn't see much movement with 1/2gr changes in his 500, so I would try one grain up and then the same powder load as the soft; that should put you on track toward the right load.

Good Luck,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roi,

You don't say what caused you to conclude that reducing your softnose load from 110 grains to 108 gr. was still "too much" for the solid heads. I'd guess either the gun was a little sticky to open; or your primers were much, much flatter than with the soft nose; or maybe the barrels were crossing at that load or maybe even all of the above.

If any of those apply do NOT increase your powder charge. Back it down to 102 grains and see what results (assuming you still get the IMR 4831 to mostly fill the case!!). I've found that three grains reduced is what my .500/.450 needs for best regulation. A .470 I had was about the same.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Roi,

You don't say what caused you to conclude that reducing your softnose load from 110 grains to 108 gr. was still "too much" for the solid heads. I'd guess either the gun was a little sticky to open; or your primers were much, much flatter than with the soft nose; or maybe the barrels were crossing at that load or maybe even all of the above.

If any of those apply do NOT increase your powder charge. Back it down to 102 grains and see what results (assuming you still get the IMR 4831 to mostly fill the case!!). I've found that three grains reduced is what my .500/.450 needs for best regulation. A .470 I had was about the same.

Regards, Tim

Tim Carney has a different "translation" of the original post than I do. I read "reducing the load to 108gr, but that was too much" as "that reduction was too much" and not "and that load was still too much, as Tim Carney did.

So, if the load is still too much, as evidenced by crossing or otherwise, as Tim relates, follow Tim's advice. If the reduction was too much, evidenced by the load shooting apart, follow mine.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting 570 grain Woodleigh solids, in front of 96 grains of RL15 with 1/2 of a Kynoch foam wad and a Federal 215M primer. Velocity is 2060 fps and recoil seems lighter than with other powders. Accuracy has been excellent.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym 500 N.E. 24inch barrels, 89 grains of R-15, full Kynoch foam wad, F215 primer, 2050 fps. Ditto with Mike, felt recoil is lighter than other powders.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK,

Must be my inside the Beltway residence that produces such translations Smiler

Regards,
Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been shooting 570 grain Woodleigh solids, in front of 96 grains of RL15 with 1/2 of a Kynoch foam wad and a Federal 215M primer. Velocity is 2060 fps and recoil seems lighter than with other powders. Accuracy has been excellent.

This is exactly the same load I use. Very good consistancy and accuracy witha lot less felt recoil to boot!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
JPK,

Must be my inside the Beltway residence that produces such translations Smiler

Regards,
Tim

Nah, that can't be it, I'm inside the beltway too. But only a half mile, so maybe its the beltway influence either way.

JPK

Free 500grains