One of Us
posted
Have a look at the Saurian Rifle

www.ferlachguns.com

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere between Tacky and incredibly poor taste I'd say.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
But impressive workmanship, none the less. I would take it as a gift, LOL.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just can't take the caliber 700 NE in anything!

Let's remember, it was invented by a guy as his

SECOND CHOICE. He wanted a 600 NE and was

told NO. It should never have come into existance.

If I'd found myself in the situation that this man

was in, and I was refusing to go smaller to the 577

NE, I'd have done a .729 diameter 12 Bore NE at

about 1100 grains bullet weight. I'd have used the

same exact cartridge dimentions for the rim and base

and all as have been used through the times, BUT for

safety I'd have it an extra 1/8" or 3/16ths or 1/4"

longer based on the specifics of making the round

fire reliably using Kynoch type filler.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of RedRoot
posted Hide Post
Howdy fellas...

Just curious - there seems to be some negative sentiment here about the rifle. I'm just wondering if it is the size of the gun and/or the subject (.700 NE and dinosaurs?), or if the negativity is directed towards any/all ornately engraved rifles. I guess I am quite smitten with detailed and well-done engraving. I am planning to get a DR soon, and intend on putting some money into engraving. Am I going to be laughed at?? The subject matter of the 'Saurian' is 'interesting', but the work itself looks first-class...

I spend most of my money on women and booze... the rest I just waste.

Posts: 10 | Location: Calgary, Republic of Alberta | Registered: 14 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Engraving is highly prized on doubles, just not that style. That series of rifles is more of an artwork than working gun, even though they're perfectly functional.

I think everyone recognizes the skill involved and if you were to bring that 577 to a group of double gun owners I doubt anyone would actually laugh.

I would love to own that gun but for the money, I would much rather have a fine British best gun.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you spend your money and like the product then why care what anyone else thinks?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chick on this one! The amount, and style of engraving on a double is a very personal thing, and isn't important to anyone but the guy paying the bill!

That being said, IMO, the engraving on a double rifle, or anything else should have some relativity to the fire arm it'sself! Dinosaurs have absolutly nothing to do with fire arms at all. they are 5 or 6 million years appart in time. IMO, the animals pictured on a 700NE double would be far more desirable if they depicted things like Ryno, and Elephant,nothing els would apply.

There are two schools of thought in the engraving that seems to be "PROPER" for double rifles. They are English rose and scroll, and a combination of game sceens,and rose, and scroll. The things like the "Saurian" have a Hollywood movie quality, that is not usually well recieved by double rifle inthusiests, and to me seems a litle childish, though the actual work was very well done! I, for one, would rather have a small amount of scroll, and a case colored action, and a more usefull chambering! Roll Eyes Taste is something that is either classic, pimp, or Hollywood. I am closer to the classic, where firearms, and especially double rifles, are concerned!

There are two things with the posted rifle that I would never own. #1 is anything chambered for a 700NE, and the other is with that engraving, no matter what the chambering was!
................... diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H and H had a 4 bore double rifle called the Saurian some years ago to celebrate 100 years of gunmaking with similar engraving

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well shucks, I guess I will disagree with most of you. I like the 700 nitro and I thought the engraving was excellent. A little over the top but masterfully done. Like one of the earlier posters said, it's really up to the buyer since he pays the bill. Since none of you like it, you can all pitch in and get it for me as a Christmas present. It will be most welcomed in my collection. Thanks ahead of time. Has anyone heard what they are asking for that Saurian 700 double?

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
i think it is about 75000,-$

regards

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Personal preference aside, the engraving is of great quality.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's no doubt that the engraving is masterful and fantastic. Doesn't the theme reflect what many hunters dream of: the opportunity to hunt the game that has never been hunted -- the master of its environment -- and hunt it in its own surroundings? I think the rifle achieves that -- especially the Mammoth.

It's not what I would choose if I was to build a rifle with that level of engraving, but I do admire the execution.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I believe the engraving on that rifle to have been pretty well executed. sofa Packy

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I have never really thought seriously about the .700NE as my .500NE is enough gun for my purposes.

In addition, I have always preferred the more subtle engraving patterns, such as fine English scrollwork.

However, I love the engraving on this rifle and the theme that it represents. If I had the money, I would buy that rifle in a heartbeat!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mammoth is spectacular.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anybody wants to pony up for one, there is a 2 year wait, and it takes 146,200 U.S. dollars. WOW! I believe that is the correct exchange rate for 100,000 euros. But look at it this way, that includes the leather and oak case. What a bargain.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigdoggy700

Lets order 2 or 3 doubles mayby we get a discount from Peter Big Grin

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
bigdog and moboga

im sorry a miscalkulation occured but it is hard these days with the us$ acting like the zim$. the euro dont go up at all, it is pretty fixed but the us dollar are at a free fall at the moment, actually makes buying stuff in the us good fun at the moment. dancing
except for jens poulsen, i reacon his money value has lost 20% hanging around at champlins for 6 months Eeker

peter

but please send me 3 x 75.000,-us$ and i will see what i can do it might take a while though.

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote