New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to buy for $10K
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been lurking around here for a while, noticing the wealth of knowledge that seems to be gathered on this board. The problem with all these posts and pretty pictures is they have caused an itch that I need to scratch with a new gun.

My question is a simple one, If you had $10-15k to spend on a double, any double new or old,capable of DG what would you pick and why?
Caliber? Manufacturer? Model?
I lean towards double triggers and ejectors other than that I need guidance.
thanks
Notlim

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were limited to 10K, it would be a Merkel .470.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would buy a UGEX Chapuis in 9,3x74R during the "group buys" (prices around $4,200) and shoot it for a year or so to find out where you want to go to from there.
Good luck

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Notlim, one of the things you should realise is that DG guns are heavy and have a lot of recoil. If you want a gun that is just plain fun to shoot and is DG capable, although not perhaps one's first choice as a "stopper", then the 9,3x74R, as recommended above, is an excellent choice. Although anathma to some on this board, I have a Tikka (Valmet) O/U in 9.3x74R and I love it! I also have a couple of other S/S doubles, but the 9.3 goes to the range more often. Now, when I go to Africa, it might be a different story, but I would suggest that you get a gun you will use and enjoy rather than just keep in the safe.
Oh! BTW, they are a lot less than $10K!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a ZOLI O/U 9.3x74R NOW in eGun for 1150 Euro.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O/U is definately out for me, I just don't like the look of them. I currently have a .375 h&h bolt gun so I figured I would carry it anyplace that a 9,3x74 would be appropriate.
I am really thinking about a 450-400 or a 470 as the appropriate new addition. Buff and an ele of some sort will be the intended recipient of its anger.

500 grains are you thinking about the 140 or the 160 merkel?

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those who believe the first double rifle for a man should, not only, be a new one, but a smaller chambering as well. This belief is, as others have said here, because the smaller rifle will be used, and used a lot! In a chambering like the 9.3X74R the rifle is big enough to hunt anything on the North American continent, and is legal in may countries in Africa as well. The cost to buy it is lower, as well as the cost of shooting the rifle.

This gains experience with the Idiosyncrasies of double rifles, and tells the owner, if he is truly a double rifle man, or not! He will find quickly if he is willing to learn the care and feeding of a double rifle to get the best from it! If he decides he is not a double rifle man, the 9.3 is an easy one to sell, so he can reclaim his money, for something better suited to his likeing!

I have two 9.3X74R double rifles, a S/S, and an O/U, and the S/S has become the go-to rifle a full 90% of the time, and is great when paired with a 470NE S/S of the same make. Like most folks, I simply don't shoot the 470NE as much as I do the 9.3, but both are exactly the same rifle, except for the recoil, and weight on the 470NE rifle. So shooting one, teaches the other!

The 470NE double I have now was bought from a fellow AR member, who bought it, shot two elephant, and three buffalo with it, and simply decided he was really a bolt rifle man. Now he didn't loose the money he spent on the double he bought, but it took him a while to sell the big bore. If it had been a 9.3, it would have sold in a week! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got a 375H&H boltgun and want a double? 470 or 500 Nitro Express by Butch Searcy... My Krieghoff 500NE 3" was pleasant to shoot, but don't know current pricing or availability.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would buy an NIB Seracy 450/400 3 inch custom fitted to you or wait for the Heym 450/400 3 inch later this year or early next year. Both well made rifle with proper 26 inch barrels, cambered in a round that you will shoot more and hunt more with. Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A MERKEL 470NE.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:

I don't actually know the difference.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:

I don't actually know the difference.

I'm sure you won't get a 160 Merkel for $10K, or even the $15K, so I'd be thinking that he was refering to the 140-2 470NE Safari, which retails for $11K, but can be had for as little as $9500-$11K from Cabela's!
I have one and it shoots fine! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
You should buy MY Merkel .470 (with dies, brass, etc.) and have some change left over.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Chapuis PH 1 in .470 Nitro Express would be my choice. Very good build quality, well executed and attractive engraving, ejectors, good balance (although not up there with the Brits of course) and a good Pachmayr recoil pad out of the box.

They can be found within your quoted price range, but act now - the dollar ain't getting any stronger!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I'm one of those who believe the first double rifle for a man should, not only, be a new one, but a smaller chambering as well. This belief is, as others have said here, because the smaller rifle will be used, and used a lot! In a chambering like the 9.3X74R the rifle is big enough to hunt anything on the North American continent, and is legal in may countries in Africa as well. The cost to buy it is lower, as well as the cost of shooting the rifle.

This gains experience with the Idiosyncrasies of double rifles, and tells the owner, if he is truly a double rifle man, or not! He will find quickly if he is willing to learn the care and feeding of a double rifle to get the best from it! If he decides he is not a double rifle man, the 9.3 is an easy one to sell, so he can reclaim his money, for something better suited to his likeing!

I have two 9.3X74R double rifles, a S/S, and an O/U, and the S/S has become the go-to rifle a full 90% of the time, and is great when paired with a 470NE S/S of the same make. Like most folks, I simply don't shoot the 470NE as much as I do the 9.3, but both are exactly the same rifle, except for the recoil, and weight on the 470NE rifle. So shooting one, teaches the other!

The 470NE double I have now was bought from a fellow AR member, who bought it, shot two elephant, and three buffalo with it, and simply decided he was really a bolt rifle man. Now he didn't loose the money he spent on the double he bought, but it took him a while to sell the big bore. If it had been a 9.3, it would have sold in a week! thumb

I think Mac brings up a great point. My first and only double is a Chapuis 9.3. I had no idea if I would even like a double rifle and without living with, shooting, carrying and playing with it I would never know. So I bought it new, had it built to my specs and I love it. I like it so much I have been thinking about others but I keep coming to the question, why? I will probably never hunt elephant and even if I did I could use my 9.3 or 375 H&H bolt. Someday I will hunt buffalo and my 9.3, while not ideal, packs a lot of punch and I feel very comfortable with it.

I can take my 9.3 to hunt almost anything in the world and being able to break it down into a small case that doesn't scream "rifle" while flying.

It boils down to why on earth would I need a hunting rifle I will probably never use.

Someday I might get a bigger bore but the cost to use ratio is ridiculously high and it will have nothing to do with need. I have actually thinking about a smaller bore double more then a larger one lately.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
notlim

I have 3 double rifles, and I have hunted them quite a bit in North America and in Zimbabwe.

I have used all 3 from game like deer and pigs to cape buff and elephant.

Calibres are a Chapuis 9,3x74R, a British 450/400 3 1/4" and a British 450 No2.

The advice about the Chapuis 9,3x74R is VERY good.
It is a double that you will use a lot, should be scoped, and if well handled is effective on buff and elephant.
The ONLY buff I killed with one shot I killed with my 9,3 Chapuis. Likewise I killed an elephant with it at 5 yards with one shot.

Many people feel it is marginal for such game, but well handled it leaves nothing to be desired.

It is not a stopper, but it is a killer, many people say. However if ANY animal charges you, only a brain shot will save you, and the 9,3 will "brain" any animal.

Unless you will be shooting a bunch of buff and/or elephant on a single Safari the 9,3 is a good choice IMHO.

However, if you must have a big bore, for 10 to 15K I would handle the Chapuis, Merkel, Krieghoff, Heym, and the Searcy.

There is nothing wrong with the 470 Nitro Express, if you can handle the recoil. Shoot one before you buy.

However....
I think the best big bore calibre in a double rifle for the sport hunter that needs/wants a "big" bore is the 450/400.

With Hornady ammo comming on line it will be a great choice.

On all 3 of my Zimbabwe Safaris I have taken my Chapuis 9,3x74R scoped, and my 450No2.

On my last Safari my wife "took" the 450/400 and I used it on warthog, baboon, zebra, bull elephant, and lion.

The 450/400 is a Great choice if you must have/want a big bore.

If your Safari will only include one buff and maybe a cow elephant, the 9,3x74R is a HARD choice to beat.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look around and buy a good used double. You can find a pretty good English double for $10,000 if you don't get in a hurry and shop around until you find one..

You could also find a nice used Searcy for around $10,000 or less, and that would be my first choice for a hunting rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buy a Merkel, I had one and it shot wonderful, a lot better then most more expensive guns. You will not regret a Merkel, accurate tough gun, well worth the money you spend on it.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum. Now that you have come out of the closet and aren’t lurking please post your location so we can see it.
I think you would have a great chance to see and handle and even possibly shoot a great number of doubles if you came to one of the DRSS hunts. BOOM
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is a simple one, If you had $10-15k to spend on a double, any double new or old,capable of DG what would you pick and why?
Caliber? Manufacturer? Model?
I lean towards double triggers and ejectors other than that I need guidance.

That probably isn't quite as simple as you thought it was. Big Grin

New or used, the cheapest worth having will be the Merkel. You said .450/.400 or .470 - you're stuck with .470 in the Merkel. It's a fair trade for the price. They usually shoot well. Automatic case losers will mean a new gun as Merkel has only just started offering them on the larger bores.

The Chapuis is a good rifle and I like it in the medium and small bores (actually, the suggestion above about trying out a 9.3 Chapuis for a while is a good idea), but feel that they really lost the proportions in scaling up to the larger bores. It's available in .470. Again, they're normally good shooters.

The Krieghoff is available in .450/.400, .500/.416, and .470. They're normally very accurate. To me though, handling isn't very good and the safety system is one that you either love or loathe. No ejectors. Since Krieghoff builds all calibers on the same frame, a second set of barrels can be retrofitted much more reasonaby than is possible with the other guns. If you decide you like it, a used gun in good condition makes sense here. On the resale market, the pool of potential buyers is much smaller due to the safety design.

Even though you said $10K to $15K, the Heym should be considered, if you can stretch your budget just a little or can find a nice used one, as its the best quality in a new DR under $20,000. The PH model is available for around $16K in .450/.400 and .470, and can be ordered to fit. They've also built .500/.416 and .450 in the past, and will likely still do so on order.

With care, a good quality used British gun in decent condition can be done in your budget, but it would be a bit of a trick, as that's definitely the lower end of their price range these days. They're far and away my preference, but your budget and caliber preference won't make it easy.

I don't recommend the Searcy.

It's best to take your time and handle and shoot as many makes as you can before you bite.
---------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express: I don't recommend the Searcy.

Mark has been steady on this point as long as I can remember. Many feel

he's the most informed person on the board regarding double rifles, especially

those from the U.K. At the same time many men have bought SEARCY rifles and have

heralded them, and remain completely happy. We've seen a couple of stories about

them that really surprised me, and after that I decided to take them off my list.

I do think I am finally onto my rifle. Within a few weeks I hope it's all over and

I can officially call myself a D/R owner. Caliber you ask, 450/400 I respond. New

or used, modern or vintage, from whose shores...? To be announced... Smiler

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you cannot go wrong, nor would you ever regret buying a merkel 470

and if you were lucky enough to get an ejector rifle but didn't want it to eject you simply remove the springs from the forend.

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I repeat:

quote:
Posted Aug 25, 10:07 AM Hide Post
You should buy MY Merkel .470 (with dies, brass, etc.) and have some change left over.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:
I'm located in Ontario, Canada.
It's quite a hike for me to get to texas, but I'm going to do it someday.
What kind of a difference in perceived recoil is there between the 450/400 and a 470?
It looks like the merkel is very well thought of here.Handling lots of doubles is a problem here in the great white north, and the only way I will get to play with more than one will be at the sci convention.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a bit high, but 465H&H, respected member here and a man who has gone on multi elephant hunts in Africa has a gorgeous Searcy in 470 IIRC for sale in the classifieds.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not having shot them in the same rifle handicaps my opinion, but I think the recoil difference between the 450/400 and the 470 is substantial but not drastic. The 400 is noticable but not tiring, the 470 is on the upper end of "comfortable". The 500 NE begins the "gotta focus" group for me.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill:
What kind of a difference in perceived recoil is there between the 450/400 and a 470?
It looks like the merkel is very well thought of here.Handling lots of doubles is a problem here in the great white north, and the only way I will get to play with more than one will be at the sci convention.

Notlim
Thank you for posting your location. I think Tiggertate’s anser is verey good in assigning the recoil factor. This is assuming they are all at the appropriate weight for caliber.
The SCI convention is a good place to see many doubles There are a couple of other places that have a good selection of doubles. The Tulsa OK. Show You have to see this one to believe it.
http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/frames.html
I think there is still a good one in Vagus to besides the SCI show. I think it is called The International arms show and has booths by most of the manufactures. You could hold out and get someone to get you into the SHOT Show where all the manufactures have displays.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill:

Skip that Zoli and all O/U's for sure. I wouldn't buy an old English gun, Searcy or Krieghoff. I wouldn't buy a large bore either. The 9.3x74R is an outfuckingstanding cartridge and you cannot go wrong. In 9.3, the Chapuis is a good gun, the Merkel even better. I had a Chapuis and recently handled a Merkel 140(?) boxlock in 9.3 and it was head and shoulders above the Chapuis IMO. Costs more tho but worth it. Big bores at first kick like a mule for the average guy and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, but you quickly get used to it. Hell, the 9.3 in a light rifle is a randy little cuss! All this said you can't go wrong with the 450/400 either. What a wonderful round. You may get tempted to buy a Merkel 500 but I'd steer clear.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote