Find
Notify
Tools

Heresy...or an Anomoly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings from South Africa...

What follows may be looked at as heresy by true double rifle connoisseur....but here we go. Eleven years ago I became involved in the hunting safari industry in South Africa to the point where I graduated from the South Arfican National Professional Hunting School. My interest in double rifles was kindled. I belog to a vintagers shooting club in Colorado. One of the members was, at that tine, the manager of firearms for Cabela’s. He told me that Cabela’s was going to start offering Italian double rifles. I decided to get a .45-70 and a .450 NE. These were personally selected for me. Both are extremely low serial numbers, and in the case of the .45-70, a single diget. Both shoot tight groups. Both have been taken apart by a good double smith in South Africa and pronounced, “Good to go.”

The .450 NE has taken cape buffalo, lion, hippopotamus, and elephant. I have used it as a backup gun on several buffalo hunts. One of my jobs was tracking wounded plains game, dangerous game excepted. If a client wounded an animal, and after half a day looking for it without success, I and a tracker would try to locate it and finish it off. This, in my opinion, seemed to be the perfect job for the .45-70 since the gun is relatively light and accurate. For the first few animals I loaded it with 405 grain flatnose soft point bullets. They did the job. Since I also had some 325 grain Leverlution ammunition, I decided to try some out. Given a slightly adjusted sight picture, they are on target. What followed is my standard loading configuration; a 32 5 grain in the left barrel and a 405 grain in the right barrel. This has given me versatility.

The accuracy of the rifle was validated by Cal at the recent Alaska Double Rifle shoot, I had some 350 grain ;loads. Cal expressed a desire to shoot the rifle. The target selected was a clay bird shard on the berm. His first shot was an inch high...the second shot vaporized it. What more can I say.

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.

Colonel Dsave Nuss
NB Safaris
Plaas Rietfontein 249
Sterkrivier 0630, Limpopo Province
South Africa

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a .45-70 double like this 26 inch one:

I saw no names in your post, so I left name out also. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The clues are Cabela's and Italian.

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Italian?
So is mine and the name begins with a B.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must admit it looks like my model from S in the A model with a sheep ram!

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Some of the Sabatti's shot fairly well
Had a 45-70 that "regulated" with the factory Remington 405's

however, shot about a dozen others that could either barely or not at all keep L & R on a 12" square at 50 yds and a couple that could not do it at 25

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I got a secondhand 470 Sabatti for a great price and she’s a shooter. Soon as I got it me and a stout buddy put a box of 20 thru with no ill effects sans shoulders.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote