Find
Notify
Tools

8x57JRS load developement
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted
Got out today for first time with my Merkel 141 in 8x57JRS to test loads. Gun came with no test target or data so just guessed. Started with 20 rounds of 170gr loads just to get scope close. Tried 4 different bullets,170gr Hornady Interlock,175gr Sierra Spitzer,180gr Barnes X,200gr Swift A Frame. Loaded 5 rounds of each using IMR4064. The winner hands down was the 200gr. To be frank it impressed the hell out of me. I have NEVER had luck with Swifts but it's obvious this Merkel likes it. I think it would be even better with a better shot. I had been breaking in and sighting in my new 257 Roberts (which is detailed in the Gunsmithing Forum) and quite frankly was a little tired. Incidentally after breaking in the barrel I managed a 3 shot group the was .283. The 3 groove Lilja barrel has zip for copper deposit. Now I've got to go find a ground squirrel and check out this 200gr Swift on some real game.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
grate accuracy. It outshoots my merkel 8x57.

It's interesting that your load is almst exactly what works in my merkel double. The only diferrance is my bullet is 196 gr RWS but that is only 4 gr lighter

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Got out today for first time with my Merkel 141 in 8x57JRS to test loads. Gun came with no test target or data so just guessed. Started with 20 rounds of 170gr loads just to get scope close. Tried 4 different bullets,170gr Hornady Interlock,175gr Sierra Spitzer,180gr Barnes X,200gr Swift A Frame. Loaded 5 rounds of each using IMR4064. The winner hands down was the 200gr. To be frank it impressed the hell out of me. I have NEVER had luck with Swifts but it's obvious this Merkel likes it. I think it would be even better with a better shot. I had been breaking in and sighting in my new 257 Roberts (which is detailed in the Gunsmithing Forum) and quite frankly was a little tired. Incidentally after breaking in the barrel I managed a 3 shot group the was .283. The 3 groove Lilja barrel has zip for copper deposit. Now I've got to go find a ground squirrel and check out this 200gr Swift on some real game.

Great shooting! The most widely used bullet all through the history of flanged 8X57 cartridges in combinations, and double rifles has been the 196 gr round nose bullet. This is why that 200 gr bullet works the best! Also IMR 4064 powder is one of the best for this cartridge, and the 9.3X74R rounds as well!

I've got a feeling, the Elk, and Deer population in AZ is in trouble! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
At least the ground squirrels should worry. I didn't draw a tag this year as I only tried for Antelope in the raffle.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote