New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for a double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does oal have much of a impact in regulation or group size. I never paid much attention to how close I was to the lands on my loads or gave thought about extreme spread of my loads. My 9.3x74 never empresses me accuracy wise like my two *470 have

P

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I do not know but at times it seems like the bloody lunar cycle affects a double rifle. I gave up trying to reload for my 9.3x74R double but thankfully it shoots most factory ammo to POA-POI. My 450-400 VC is testing my patience and resolve and Hornady’s variations from lot to lot is not helping so I will be reloading for it.

I have found OAL to make a difference in bolt guns and single shots, but I am still learning the joys and frustrations of double rifles. Big Grin

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far my experience

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a double will shoot 2"s at 50 yards, leave it alone..If it shoots 2"s at 75 its a good'un and some shoot and inch at up to 100, most Searcys have for me..Find one load that fits you and the gun, and stick with that..The world of the double rifle is a relm unto itself, and a good one at thatm

I seat to the cannalure if the bullet has one. Be careful to not seat bullets out like one does on a bolt gun..function is first and foremost with any DG rifle IMO..shots are generally close and the target is big, accuracy just needs to be reasonable..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
..shots are generally close and the target is big, accuracy just needs to be reasonable..

Even though my two doubles are reasonably accurate, a big critter makes a big target. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote