THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New HEYM 88B Larger Frame (470 & 500)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HEYM 88B Larger Frame (470 & 500)
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
In effort to offer our clients more options, we are introducing a new frame size for calibers 470 & 500.

By increasing the overall size of the frame, the barrel diameters can also be increased (at the breech) and weight added to the middle of the rifle (where you want it.)

The old frame size will still be available for those wanting a lighter rifle, but for those who want a 470 or 500 closer to historic Enlish weights, HEYM provides another option.

Using this frame size, a 470 will weigh in at almost 11 pounds (+/- an ounce), and the 500 will weigh in at 11 & 1/2 pounds.

These rifles will be on display in both 470 and 500 at the 2013 shows, and the new frame is available in both the "PH" and "Safari" grades.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think that is the height of wisdom on Heym's part.
The buying public wants options! And if those options
are available without an upcharge, or at a reasonable
upcharge, the manufacturer CAN'T loose!
dancing jumping dancing

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A "Jumbo" boxlock....I like it :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Do the 88-B Interchangable Rifle Barrels (eg in 375HH) fit these new-size actions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
Do the 88-B Interchangable Rifle Barrels (eg in 375HH) fit these new-size actions?

Barrels on heym doubles are not interchangable. I think Blaser offers that. You can order extra barrel sets for Heym rifles and they will be fitted to your action.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac, that's really helpful. I'm very tempted by a 470NE & 375HH 88-B PH scoped barrel set! [PS - your 577NE Jumbo is still amazing!]

Here's a link from another forum discussing the rationale for the new action:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...r=56787&an=0&page=64

Another Q: would this new-size action allow a satisfactory muzzle thickness for a 26inch (rather than 24inch) barrel, without being too thin at the muzzle?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Very nice idea. Any 500 under 11 lbs will be an abuser to the shooter. IMO!

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PD999

Even on the thinner actions 26" barrels on even the 500 NE have barrels plenty thick enough at the muzzle.

These new larger frames will make the Heyms handle even more like a traditional British double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thanks NE450No2 Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Guy

You have PM ?s from me.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs
You like anything that has the smell of gun powder on it.
Even though you never have a gun long enough to put any on your self.I will send you a can of spray gun powder air freshener that way you can spray it all over the house.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And yet another Turd!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowen475:
New Guy

You have PM ?s from me.

Thanks

Sorry... I've been out of town.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
This new frame size is too large for the 375 class of cartridges.

They would all be too heavy with more wall thickness around the chamber end of the barrel.

The muzzles on both the 470 and 500 are the same on both the older (smaller) frame and the new (larger) frame.

The only difference is the size of the action and the first 8-9 inches of the barrel. That's where the new weight has been added, and it's the perfect location.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Between the hands", as the Brits say :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice to have a choice and I'd like the gun to be lighter than heavier. Maybe they could offer a 577 light weight on this new frame. 11 lbs would be perfect for a 577 and 9.5 to 10 for the 500.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, Chris has his order pad ready :-)

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Chris, would the 20Ga option continue to be available for the new larger action (470NE caliber), or would it be better on the current smaller action?

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
Chris, would the 20Ga option continue to be available for the new larger action (470NE caliber), or would it be better on the current smaller action?

Better on the smaller action (third one up), as you would increase the wall thickness of the chamber end of the shotgun barrels by too much... creating unnecessary weight.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully examples of the new frame size will be at the next SCI show.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fo Fiddy NE:
Hopefully examples of the new frame size will be at the next SCI show.

Yes, I will have examples of the new frame size for both the 470 and the 500 at DSC and SCI.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947