Find
Notify
Tools

Heym Double Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I noticed that Heym is advertising an unengraved, plain-jane double rifle in .450-400; I believe they call it the "Professional" model. I would like feed back on the Heym rifles from those who have or have shot them. Has anyone seen this new rifle, and if so what were your impressions? Anyone have an idea of the price?

Thanks,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
It is called the PH model and is a standard 88B without the engraving and AAA wood.
I have a 470 LH on order (god, I'm ony half way through the wait!). "New Guy" is the US dealer and awesome to work with - real world name Chris Sells at Double Gun Imports. Current price is around $15000 new.
I looked at Chapuis,Merkel,Blaser,Kreigoff and the Heym was head and shoulders above the rest, so to speak. I think it's the best deal going for mere mortals....

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at Chapuis,Merkel,Blaser,Kreigoff and the Heym was head and shoulders above the rest, so to speak. I think it's the best deal going for mere mortals....

Ditto here. I also looked at Searcy and Thys and some older Brit models available at the time. I chose the Heym, feeling it was heads and shoulders above the rest.

Many features others either do not offer or price in as a relatively expensive option are standard on the Heym.

It is a very accurate rifle. Double Gun Imports had a PH model in 470 at our last DRSS shoot. They had to pry it from the grip of an African PH attending the shoot who used it to bag two hogs - one right one left.

The PH model is identical to the higher priced Safari model with the exception of the engraving.

They will fit your rifle for the proper LOP and drop for the same price.

Dollar for dollar, I think it is the best deal out there today.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I too, was impressed with the fit and finish of PH model 470NE that Chris had down at the DRSS hunt in Jan. The rifle just happened to fit me perfectly, and handled it for some time looking it over very well. It feels lighter than it is, and swings like a goose gun. The ballance is perfect, IMO, and if I could afford a new rifle today, the newly chambered PH in 450/400NE would be in the works by now!
I had an 88B 470 a few years ago, and this new one in the "PH" trim is even better, and I loved that old 88B. I think Heym has a winner here, espacially since they chose, wisely, IMO, to chamber the 450/400NE 3" in it! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is too light in the barrel weight.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

???????????????

Based on....

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A Heym too light? you want light? Grab hold of a Merkel in 500 NE.

A light 450/400 would be the Chapuis that Evolution rifles converts into a 450/400 3 inch.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle:

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
????????????

Based on....

Based on nothing whatsoever. Bullwinkle has never owned a double rifle in his life, and the first Heym .450/.400 won't be finished until July anyway. He isn't even speculating, as he doesn't have the experience or intelligence to even do that. He's just spewing BS as usual.

donttroll
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 17 May 2007 16:25 Hide Post
A Heym too light? you want light? Grab hold of a Merkel in 500 NE.

A light 450/400 would be the Chapuis that Evolution rifles converts into a 450/400 3 inch.

Rusty

Rusty,

Do you have one of the Chapuis in 450/400? What does it weigh?

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
AZG,

No, my Chapuis is the 9.3X74R. I've handled Evolution's 450/400 at the Dallas Safari Club year before last.

The Searcy and the new Heym would be my choices.
Butch's rifle can be made with 26" barrels and the Heym has 25 1/2 inch barrels. Since I like longer barrels on a double rifle, those would be my choices!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from Leanne at Evolution Rifles. Here is what she said about their 450/400 3inch.

quote:
The weight of the .450/400 on a Chapuis .375 frame is 9 lbs. 5 oz

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym that I bought second hand. It also came with a matching set of 12 ga shotgun barrels. It was a 458 Win that I had JJ rechamber to 450 3 and 1/4" NE. It is a VERY sweet rifle and fits me like a glove as is. That being said, Chris has my Merkel 470 for sale on his site...and it is VERY accurate with a variety of loads as well as very nice handling. Merkel is a lot of gun for the $$ and shouldn't be overlooked.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote