New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding the right MOJO
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Searcy Classic 470NE that was regulated with 106grs IMR-4831. However for me I could never get this load to shoot to the POA (the load shot about 4" low, Butch even sent me a different (lower) front sight). I don't know if it was due to the way I held the gun, my sight picture or the humid Houston air. This weekend I tried some different loads. I initally stayed with the IMR-4831 powder, increasing by 1 grain increments up to 108 grains. I did see some improvement with the POA with the increased powder charge and I could definitley tell a differance in the recoil level (I have nice purple spot on my shoulder even though I was shooting with a PAST recoil pad). I then switched to some loads using H-4831sc (that I got off this forum....Thank you verry much). I started with a 108 grains of H-4831sc and went up to 110 grains of H-4831sc. It looks like the 110 grains of H-4831sc is the MOJO for my rifle (see target).

Has anyone else experienced this....having problems with the POA for what their rifle was orginally regulated for?

The right barrel is in the X-ring and the left barrel is just above. Load was 500 grain Woodleigh soft, 110 grains of H-4831sc, Norma brass and Federal #215 primers with a roll crimp.

I still have some work to do, but I think I'm headed in the right direction.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
MHC
I had the same problem with my Searcy 470 PH model. It shot low.

I finally figured out what was wrong with that one after talking to Butch. He sights them in differently than I shoot them.

He sighted that one in to hold a full bead and then cover the target with the bead.

I was using a half bead and holding that at the bottom of the bullseye like they taught us in the Army.

I finally forced myself to hold it like it was sighted in for and it worked but I was never comfortable doing it.

I like your experiment and think you are on the right track.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dose Butch crimp his regulation ammo?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Yes, he crimps them into the cannelure.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
posted Hide Post
My sight picture was with a full bead sitting in the shallow V and covering the POA.....sounds similar to the method Butch uses.

It's all "fun" shooting the 470NE off the bench. One time it did kick the sh*t out of me. I took a .22 rimfire with me....just to stay honest in my shooting. I have to say it is pretty impressive when that big 500 grain bullet runs into the dirt backstop.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC,

I ahd a similar experience to your's. Butch's 106 grain load regulated to the middle of the bead at 50 yards from my 470 and the bullets hit about 2 1/2" apart. I then loaded 110 grains of H-4831 and got about 80 fps more velocity and the bullets impacted dead center and touching at 50 yards. I used regular cut H-4831 rather than the sc version since the whole idea of using 4831 pwders is to increas powder density so that fillers are not necessary.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC,

I am having the same problem with my 470 Classic right now. I have tried lower sights, but they shot too high. I am about to try an in-between sight to see if I can find the right answer. Good to know that others have been able to solve this problem.

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
MHC
I had the same problem with my Searcy 470 PH model. It shot low.

I finally figured out what was wrong with that one after talking to Butch. He sights them in differently than I shoot them.

He sighted that one in to hold a full bead and then cover the target with the bead.

I was using a half bead and holding that at the bottom of the bullseye like they taught us in the Army.

I finally forced myself to hold it like it was sighted in for and it worked but I was never comfortable doing it.

I like your experiment and think you are on the right track.

Can't you just replace the rear sight?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, that would have worked for me but I knew I would sell the rifle after a few animals and thought the buyer might like to aim it like Butch does so I left it alone and aimed it like Butch intended.

I have always preferred taking a half bead and then holding the top of the bead on the target. I think I see the target better than when blotting it out with the whole bead.

The Army converted me (for a while) to squaring up the top of the sight and holding on the bottom of the target but I eventually got over that lesson.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

I see it shining plain,
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, I grew up using scopes so I was not trained with open sights and really had no idea what I was "suppose" to do. But I found out in short order that settling the white bead in the shallow V and using the top of the white bead as the aiming point is very accurate.

I guess that is referred to as full bead. Half bead, etc., what is all this mumbo jumbo?

And putting the center of the bead on the target? Who dreamed up that nonsense? Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

You could, but it is a lot easier/cheaper to replace the front sight Cool

My Searcy DBL has one of the orange fiber optic front sights and it look's real bright & pretty sitting in the shallow V. In my case changing the powder recepe seemed to bring the impact point up to the POA. Other option is to replace the front sight w/ a lower one.

Iron Sight Adjustments:
To move bullet impact to left, move rear sight to left or front sight to right.
To move bullet impact to right, move rear sight to the right or front sight to left.
To elevate bullet impact, you must elevate rear sight or lower front sight.
To lower bullet impact, you must lower the rear sight or elevate the front sight.

Or

Rear sight:
Move it in the direction you want the bullet to go (up-up, down-down).
Front sight:
Move it the opposite……bullet up=sight down.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could, but it is a lot easier/cheaper to replace the front sight

Pardon me asking, but why didn't you do this already?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
You could, but it is a lot easier/cheaper to replace the front sight

Pardon me asking, but why didn't you do this already?

I did replace it once, for a lower front sight and it still shot low. I need to measure the height of the front sight and see if there is a lower one. I think I will also order just a plain brass bead (currently using the orange fiber optic front sight) and see if that makes any differance. Probably good to have one of these on hand in case I would break the fiber optic front sight.