THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Engslish stock on a double rifle, any thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engslish stock on a double rifle, any thoughts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking about buying a ChapuisUGEX double with a Leupold VX-III in original swing mounts. This rifle is fitted with extractors (No big deal),and is fitted with and english type stock. That is, not pistol grip. The price is great, but I wonder about shooting a rifle without the pistol grip. Any experiences?

Posts: 149 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justanothernorwegian:
I am thinking about buying a ChapuisUGEX double with a Leupold VX-III in original swing mounts. This rifle is fitted with extractors (No big deal),and is fitted with and english type stock. That is, not pistol grip. The price is great, but I wonder about shooting a rifle without the pistol grip. Any experiences?

First off in many cases the English stock is a personal choice, but on a double rifle,IMO, it is a drawback, unless in a very small chambering! I personally do not like the English stock on even a upland shotgun. If the price was right, however, the double rifle would be going home with me, depending on the chambering,trigger configuration, and O/U, or S/S barrels!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a 9.3x74R, SbS, double trigger. It is going home with me alright. CoolIf I cant shoot that stock, I will get a new one made. The price was definatly right...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has two functions on upland game gun:
1. Slight weight reduction
2. Looks
A POW grip is much superior.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing is, I get if for half price... It is 4 yrs old, been on a couple ofhunts, maybe 100 shots fired through it. In fact, I can probably have a new stock with a POW fitted and it will still be a good buy! I will get it by the end of the week, cant wait to lay my lusty hands on her. Never shot a 9.3x74R, cant imagine that it will be much different from the 375 H&H I usually shoot though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like english stocks on my shotguns and would love a light handy DR with an english stock. I don't think any shotgun handles as well and as quickly as an english stocked shotgun and I would bet that a rifle would be similarly quick.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
Let me begin by saying that I love straight hand stocks on my upland guns.

The advantage of straight hand stocks is that it keeps the wrist more in line with the bore of the gun. On rising and high overhead shots the back hand is allowed more range of motion than using a pistol grip stock, which holds the wrist at a more acute angle to the bore of the gun.

The disadvantage of the straight hand stock is that as recoil increases ( especially in double rifles ) it is harder to control torque using a straight hand stock. As all side by side firearms twist when one barrel at a time is fired the straight hand stock does a much poorer job of allowing the back hand to control torque and the pistol grip.

IMHO the pistol grip whether POW or full are much better suited for double rifles than is the straight hand stock.

Just my two cents worth.

Mario

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I find the English grip has less tendency to bruise the fingers than a regular pistol grip.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote