THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    BELL 470 NE ammo - any good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BELL 470 NE ammo - any good?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
Gents
I've just ben offered (unseen) a quantity of BELL 470 NE ammo. It is packaged in folding plastic boxes of ten rounds and is steel jacketed solids apparently.
Question: is this ammo likely to be any good? I don't know the date of manufature but I'm guessing that it is not going to be all that old...?

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My guess is that this is handloaded ammo. Not 100% sure but I don't think Bell ever loaded ammo...they made brass. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I would not shoot it in my double unless I knew who loaded it.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I am pretty sure they only ever offered brass by itself and so is likely to be reloads.

Also, I wouldn't fire unknown reloads in my gun but also I wouldn't be firing a heap of steel jacketed solids through my gun unless I was DG hunting. Unnecessary wear.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
At least the brass will be very good to reload!
Head Stamp will say BeLL if made by MAST Technologies.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
My guess is that this is handloaded ammo. Not 100% sure but I don't think Bell ever loaded ammo...they made brass. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I would not shoot it in my double unless I knew who loaded it.

Not so as I bought 470 loaded ammo in plastic ten packs from Bell. That was about 25 years ago. The labels even had the load info on them and were Bell labels.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I bought ten rounds of Bell ammo in the ten count plastic clam case too for .577 NE 3". What was neat what that it was "crimped" on the side of the case with a small indent. I'm sure there is a specific name for this, but damned if I know.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I believe that crimp is called a stab crimp, it's the type used on original Kynoch ammo.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember in an article it was called a bayonet crimp. I have a couple of older 500NE shells crimped like that, it's got three of those crimps space equally around the shell.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
When I got the rounds I thought they were handloads myself until I saw the crimp on the side of the case. They could be handloads, but I'm not familiar with reloaders with that type of crimping set-up.

The rounds shot pretty damn good BTW.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 470 rounds I mentioned above had stab crimps.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
In the mid 1980s both brass and ammo were available, and I know from personal experience the brass was excellent. I was told at that time that the original stuff was from a privately-owned American firm called Brass Extrusion Laboratories, Ltd. But that information was from a magazine article in, I think, Rifle magazine, so who knows how much the author really knew personally about it?

I could be wrong, but it seems to me the 100 .450 Basic cases I used were headstanped B E L L. But then, it has been at least 25 years and although my memory is absolutely perfect, it is less than 10 seconds long!

The ownership of the company changed at least once after that, so perhaps the headstamps did too.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fella's
Not .470 related, But back in 1987 my SWEET Wife bought me a loaded .600 Nitro round from Jim Bell...She paid for it & I ordered it !
Anyway, Its loaded & has a 900 gr. Woodleigh Solid bullet. Headstamped "B.E.L.L. .600 NE 1986" It also has the 3 stab crimp. It'll go in my casket with me some day from her !
Take care !
Chris

Posts: 63 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and parted with $200 for the 80 cartridges which I am pretty happy about. Smiler
Regards

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote