New
Find
Notify
Tools

cordite to modern
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
whats a load of 40 grains of cordite equal to in modern powders??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Using the Ross Seyfried conversion factor of 1.19 it would equate to 47.60 grains of RL-15. The conversion factor is just for RL-15.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The earlier conversion for cordite in nitro express rifles was based on grain for grain Cordite/Dupont IMR3031. This was a safe starting point and the loading for IMR3031 could usually be increased until the Cordite point of impact was attained.

Most, including myself in the .404, have found that the slower powders e.g. 4831 produced better accuracy, velocity and correct point of impact. Elmer Keith, while advocating 3031 and 4895 as replacement for Cordite in many of the old British cartridges, also promoted 4831 (probably H4831 back then) as a good powder for loading the British stuff e.g for the .404 I have used 60-65grs IMR3031 or 85grs IMR4831 to duplicate the original Cordite load of 60grs with a 400gr bullet.
The slower powders fill cases and with a magnum primer give good ignition and usually a clean burn.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Or, take the original cordite load and multiply it by 1.333 to get the correct load of IMR 4831. Thus, your 40 grains of cordite would equal 53.3 grains of IMR 4831 (40 x 1.333 = 53.3).

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Using the Ross Seyfried conversion factor of 1.19 it would equate to 47.60 grains of RL-15. The conversion factor is just for RL-15.

I agree with Mike, but I would begin with original cordite load x 1.15 and work up. I am a big fan of RL 15 Smiler. Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

I agree with Mike, but I would begin with original cordite load x 1.15 and work up. I am a big fan of RL 15 Smiler. Good luck!

Me three!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing to remember is that Cordite was a long stick powder, long like spagetti.

So if you use IMR 3031 or Rl 15 it might be necessary to use some sort of filler, such as dacron polyester or a foam plug.

Some cases, like the 450 No2 or the 475 No2 must use filler even with IMR 4831, or hang fires will result.

The filler must be compressed between the powder and the bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
One thing to remember is that Cordite was a long stick powder, long like spagetti.

So if you use IMR 3031 or Rl 15 it might be necessary to use some sort of filler, such as dacron polyester or a foam plug.

Some cases, like the 450 No2 or the 475 No2 must use filler even with IMR 4831, or hang fires will result.

The filler must be compressed between the powder and the bullet.

Agreed! I prefer backer rod (3/8", 1/2", 5/8") purchassed at Lowe's or Home Depot, cut to length. Approx. 1/8" greater than base of bullet to powder.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with NE 450 No2 above! The conversions for the smaller cordite cartridges is OK with the 3031 and 4895 powders because of the smaller capacity of the cases. Most of those were chambered in strong bolt and single shot rifles, and required no filler.
With the large NE cases for double rifles a lot of rifles were damaged in the early days of experimenting with powders to substitute for the cordite. The causes were not well understood for some time after cordite was no longer available. This was caused because of very low volume loads in the large cases. The accuracy suffered becase every way the rifle was held the powder was spread in different places inside the case. Then there was the flash-overs the raised pressures too suddenly. The 3031 and 4895 were very popular powders in those days so were the first to be tried. The war surplus 4831 was available back then but some shyed away from it because they knew nothing about it, and considered it cannon powder. Once a few started experimenting with 4831 it was found that it worked very well in those large NE cases, and needed no filler in most cases.

Another thing that came about once the need for filler with the 3031, and 4895 powders the experimenting started with finding the best fillers. This again caused problem at first, as people used things like crème- of- wheat for filler because it had been used to fire form cases with light loads of pistol powder. However, when used with enough powder and heavy bullets this spiked the chamber pressures ringing chambers if they were lucky, and burst barrels if they were not.

Then along came RE-15 which was slower burning and requires far less filler, and shortly the filler was sorted out with this powder, and it became quite popular then and still is today, but still requires filler, the types of which Tony posted above. With the three 4831 powders available today none require filler in cases up to 500NE, except the cases Tony mentioned 450#2NE, and the 475#2NE being the most likely candidates need some filler even with the 4831 powders . Those powders are IMR-4831, H-4831, and H-4831sc. The IMR-4831 being the fasted burn, and the two H powers slower with the “sc” meaning short cut. Both H powers are the same burn rate but the sc allows more powder in the same case, and flows through a powder measure better. The fillers have about boiled down to Dacron fiber fill, or the Kynoc foam fillers. Just enough to fill the airspace between the powder, and the base of the bullet, slightly compressed. This serves two purposes, #1 it improves accuracy because you get consistent powder burn with no chance of flash-over, and # it holds the powers against the primer for best ignition.

....................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Supercracker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Agreed! I prefer backer rod (3/8", 1/2", 5/8") purchassed at Lowe's or Home Depot, cut to length. Approx. 1/8" greater than base of bullet to powder.

I have a quick, little bit OT, and sure to be dumb question but bear with me a I don't reload. At least not rifle stuff like this.

What prevents the foam backer rod from melting and fouling the bore with residue?

Posts: 65 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 27 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used dacron polyester and 3 different densities of foam in my 450 No2.

I have recovered all 4 and none show any signs of burn, char or melting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The Kynoch foam wads are hard to beat. You will pay $15 for a package of 100 and you can usually cut them in half and use half to extend the pack to 200.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
whats a load of 40 grains of cordite equal to in modern powders??

What caliber is this for?

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have my foam cut at Houston Foam and Plastic. I bought a cutter to match the Kynoch plugs and just order more when I run low.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
There look to be a number of accepted conversions with varying powders.
I don't fret about it since there are good modern powder loads out there for every cartridge you can think of.
I too prefer to use backer rod as a filler. Just so easy and cheap to boot.
I have not noticed any residue or fouling in the bore which is any different than loads with no filler.

Posts: 3319 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have my foam cut at Houston Foam and Plastic. I bought a cutter to match the Kynoch plugs and just order more when I run low.

Rusty,
Where did you buy your cutter or get your cutter made?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lane,
I had them make it for me. It stays there and they use it when I order.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Do they have a .510 cutter?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote