Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis 9.3
 Login/Join

posted
I am going to purchase a Chapuis 9.3 model UGEX. Before I purchase how well are they regulated and what loads did you use. What type of ammo where you told the gun was regulated with. Did anyone have problems with the Chapuis regulation. I am in Canada northern ontario and loading components and ammo is not easily had. Any other info would be appreciated.

one of us

Posts: 17 | Location: Northern Ontario Canada | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Mine's been great! 65grn of 4831, 215 primer a 286 grn slug, no crimp. I've been using the cheap Privi bullets with great success for paper punching and lighter game.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Is it IMR powder and what brand of bullet are you using

one of us

Posts: 17 | Location: Northern Ontario Canada | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Sorry,, Yes I use IMR powder and it seems like any brand of bullet works fine. I used a 'Nosler
partition for a black bear and the 'Privi' bullet for anything smaller. I haven't tried the Hornady, Speer ect.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask what ammo the rifle is regulated for!!!!

If it is regulated for 232 grn or 293grn you will have difficulty buying factory ammo that will regulate in your part of the world.

Many rifles built for the European market are specifically regulated for the light (232grn) bullet.

If it is newish and regulated for the 286grn Oryx it 'Should' regulate pretty well with the 232 grn Vulcan...maybe not perfectly but good enough for government work (and pig hunting) but going the other way round doesn't seem to work.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Obviously my one experience doesn't mean anything but for the one that I had it shot everything I sent down it, 250 gr. to 320 gr., all to the same place. Pretty amazing little gun.

Your mileage may vary.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
It's a great little rifle,light easy to carry ,mine was regulated with Norma Oryx 286 gr,recoil is a little brisk,most everything that I shot out of it worked great,except Barnes TSX,stay away from those.
quote:
Originally posted by ontario:
I am going to purchase a Chapuis 9.3 model UGEX. Before I purchase how well are they regulated and what loads did you use. What type of ammo where you told the gun was regulated with. Did anyone have problems with the Chapuis regulation. I am in Canada northern ontario and loading components and ammo is not easily had. Any other info would be appreciated.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Will,
Do you remember what powder you used? I'd like to try some of those bullets!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Used RL-15 for all of it. Of course the first big fat lie is that the lightest bullets I used were Speer 270 gr. bullets, not 250 gr.

I loaded the different bullets so that all had the same muzzle energy:

Wt. Vel
270 2500
286 2430
300 2370
320 2300

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine is about new, and I had the same good results with a 64gr of 4831 load and Nosler Partitions. The PRVI bullets grouped well, but 2" higher with that load at 100 yards. The group size was just over 2" at 100, and I could not tell which barrel shot where. For my trip I had the right barrel dead on at 100, and the left barrel shot just left of it. I have the single trigger version, but with Plains Game softs were all I packed.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 286 gr Privi in mine and used the Woodleigh 286 gr PP and solids in Zim last September. 68 gr of H4831SC is my load. I have used CCI LRP and Fed 215 primers both with good results. Mine was regulated with the 286 grain Norma Oryx from the factory. My loads run around 2300 fps from my rifle.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis was regulated with Norma 286 gr Oryx. I use 66.0 - 68.0 gr of H4831 (depending on particual lot) with Hornady, Nolser and Woodleigh 286 gr and they all shoot to same POI. Groups at 100 yards generally run under 2.5 inches for 4 shots.

posted Hide Post
Thanks so much guys.
I ordered the gun today!!!

one of us

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You won't regret it!
Make sure you order QD scope mounts with it.

Now add DRSS (Double Rifle Shooter Society) to your signature line! You're the newest member!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
The lone exception. JJ had to re-regulate my new 9.3.

Shoots very well now.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Will! I have to try those weights!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The gun arrived on Fri and it was nicer than Anthony at Trade Ex described. I was very impressed. I shot it with factory Seller and Bellot and some 270 Speer loads at 50 yards and they all shot the with of the barrels apart. I shot off the bench and the little fellow kicked more than I had expected. Thankyou to everyone here for your help.

one of us

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontario:
The gun arrived on Fri and it was nicer than Anthony at Trade Ex described. I was very impressed. I shot it with factory Seller and Bellot and some 270 Speer loads at 50 yards and they all shot the with of the barrels apart. I shot off the bench and the little fellow kicked more than I had expected. Thankyou to everyone here for your help.

Well think about it, you have a rifle that weight @7.25lbs [without scope], that is near the power of a 375 H&H... BOOM

However I have never noticed the recoil of my Chapuis when shooting at game. Big Grin

The 9,3 Chapuis is a great hunting gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote