Find
Notify
Tools

10.75x60R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted
Ran across a DR in this caliber on Guns International. I had never heard of this chambering, Guess I have been living under a rock. Went to "look it up" and can find nothing about it.

Can anyone tell me about this cartridge?

Thanks,

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see from the description of the rifle, that the cartridge is a black powder one, or at least that it is proofed for black powder. This seems strange, since the only proof sign visible is on the left side of the left barrel, which reads St.m.G, and stands for Starkmantelgeschoss, or jacketed bullet, not one usually associated with black powder cartridges. A photograph of the bottom of the barrels might shed more light on the situation.

Gun dealers as a group are not known for their mental acuity in identifying foreign made weapons.

There is a description of a 10.75X65R Collath in Cartridges of the World, 4th Edition, page 277, but that seems unlikely, and a 10.75RX58 Russian Berdan in the same work, page 211, but neither of them seem a likely choice for a German hunting rifle not made by Collath. Otherwise, I can find no rimmed 10.75 cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
There also appears to be a "crown N" proof to the left of the St.m.g. which if the letter is an "N" it would mean proofed for smokeless powder. Looks more clearly like an "N" a few picture further on.

Dug around a little more. Any possibility it could be a .43 Mauser aka 11x60R? Beats me.

Has some chips out of the horn trigger guard. Wonder what this DR is really worth? Maybe what they are asking.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The Swiss use the 10.3x60R as a hunting round based on their weird rule of bullets over 40 caliber for hunting in most Cantons.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is the common 11mm Mauser; remember, many/most cartridge designations use the bore diameter rather than the groove /bullet diameter in their designation. So, 10.75 would be right. And it was obviously made in the Nitro era, and so proofed.

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Claw bases too; this rifle is under priced and if I had any money, I would buy it today.
Stock might be shrunk from the frame on the left side; could be the picture.....

Posts: 17180 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was trying to remember that whole bore vs groove thing. Makes sense now.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See Dixons "European sporting cartridges" pg 69 & 139. 10.75x60R Grundig
"This calibre does not appear in the RWS/Utendoerffer c1908 catalog but does appear in the 1911 Alfa catalog being manufactured by Utendoerffer. DWM listed this calibre as a 10.75x60R for H. Leue of Berlin (case #495A >1905) & Roth also listed this calibre (#759 c1907), but specimans by these two companies are not known. Also listed by Gecado into the 1930s)
DWM book lists case 495A as "Puerschbuechse Kal 10.75mm G.C. Dornhem, Lippstadt"

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Guess anything is possible. A chamber cast would put it to rest. I may have gotten lucky though. Don't have to explain to the wife dumping $4K on an "old rifle." I am #2 in line.

Dave

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
That thing's a stunner and Kirby's a first class seller (IMHO). Worth every penny but would take a while to work up a load.

I recommend putting the question on germanguns.com. There are a few people on there with encyclopedic knowledge about these things.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
A thread on this cartridge over on NE forums. I posted some info on that thread.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the correct name of Dixon's book? Is it still available as used or new? I believe I need to own one if possible.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
What's the correct name of Dixon's book? Is it still available as used or new? I believe I need to own one if possible.

European Sporting Cartridges 1997
by W. B Dixon

Amazon lists it as unavailable, as does ABE.