THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Searcy double rifles...how good (or bad..) are they..?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy double rifles...how good (or bad..) are they..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used the Web to get the most current information on contacting Butch and it has always worked (i.e. Searcy Double Rifles). To my knowledge, Butch is there, and has always been there, for his clients. I honestly cannot say that about everyone. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have had in my hands a few Searcy doubles of various calibres and they looked to be well made and were accurate. Cannot ever remember hearing a negative about them.

I would carry one.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just shot my second Searcy a 450NE today.It shoots two, exactly an inch apart,perfectly side by side, at 50yds.Butch knows what he is doing.If there is any issue just send it back to him and it will be fixed.I REALLY like my doubles.They are so good that I need to have another.They are gems.The best in the world.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a field grade 470 NE. It is accurate, and super well regulated. Fit and finish excellent. Points like a dream. Do I shoot it, NO. If I use Norma brass, I get to shoot it and have a great time. When I reload said brass, I get case separations. I think the headspacing must be excessive. So, if I want to shoot brand new brass every time, I have an excellent rifle.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcasto:
I have a field grade 470 NE. It is accurate, and super well regulated. Fit and finish excellent. Points like a dream. Do I shoot it, NO. If I use Norma brass, I get to shoot it and have a great time. When I reload said brass, I get case separations. I think the headspacing must be excessive. So, if I want to shoot brand new brass every time, I have an excellent rifle.

That's easy fixed just don't push the shoulder back when sizing your once fired cases, let the cartridge headspace on the shoulder and not the rim.
A common practice to prolong case life when reloading belted bottleneck magnum cartridges is to also headspace on the shoulder and not the belt.

Just neck size or back your F/L die out slightly so closing the action on your reloads occurs with just a hint of snugness. This is the advantage of a bottleneck case whether rimmed or belted, as opposed to a straight walled case, where headspace can be adjusted by the reloader.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you tried any other brand of brass?

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

That's easy fixed just don't push the shoulder back when sizing your once fired cases, let the cartridge headspace on the shoulder and not the rim.
A common practice to prolong case life when reloading belted bottleneck magnum cartridges is to also headspace on the shoulder and not the belt.

Just neck size or back your F/L die out slightly so closing the action on your reloads occurs with just a hint of snugness. This is the advantage of a bottleneck case whether rimmed or belted, as opposed to a straight walled case, where headspace can be adjusted by the reloader.

Although this is good advise that is provided to you, in this particular circumstance and knowing that this is new double rifle, more research into the problem would be prudent. If it were my rifle two issues would be checked: 1) the actual rim headspace and 2) a casting made of each barrel's chamber. After making the casting of each chamber I would measure the diameters of unfired and fired cases in relation to the diameters at the same position of the casting. If all these diameters are the same or practically the same then the next step is to examine the reloading process you are using. Proper rifle barrel chamber casting metal can be purchased from Brownells as well as a number of other firms.

The problem that you are having with reloading rounds for this double rifle, may be nothing more than reloading methods i.e. bullet seating depth, primer type, projectile diameter, or amount of propellant causing over pressure. I have had double rifle cartridge cases failure with over pressure.

When you reloaded cartridges for this rifle did you start with much lower amounts of propellant(measuring the muzzle velocity) then increasing the amount of propellant to reach the desired measured velocity before you settled upon the final loading.

When you fired the rounds that you loaded did they register high and to the right and left at the target?

Finally and more importantly, going into the website and reading some posts that you made some time back about this double rifle and how the shoulder moves on the fired cases move forward more than 3/8", it appears to me that it is likely that the chambers of the barrels of this rifle were reamed grossly improperly.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've been doing this for years and have used the same brass for years. I place a 1/16, 3/32, or 1/8" washer between the sizing die and the press so I don't move the shoulder. This is fine as I reload only for my rifles so all fits well. The brass life is extened greatly.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
quote:
quote:

Although this is good advise that is provided to you, in this particular circumstance and knowing that this is new double rifle, more research into the problem would be prudent. If it were my rifle two issues would be checked: 1) the actual rim headspace and 2) a casting made of each barrel's chamber. After making the casting of each chamber I would measure the diameters of unfired and fired cases in relation to the diameters at the same position of the casting. If all these diameters are the same or practically the same then the next step is to examine the reloading process you are using. Proper rifle barrel chamber casting metal can be purchased from Brownells as well as a number of other firms.

The problem that you are having with reloading rounds for this double rifle, may be nothing more than reloading methods i.e. bullet seating depth, primer type, projectile diameter, or amount of propellant causing over pressure. I have had double rifle cartridge cases failure with over pressure.

When you reloaded cartridges for this rifle did you start with much lower amounts of propellant(measuring the muzzle velocity) then increasing the amount of propellant to reach the desired measured velocity before you settled upon the final loading.

When you fired the rounds that you loaded did they register high and to the right and left at the target?

Finally and more importantly, going into the website and reading some posts that you made some time back about this double rifle and how the shoulder moves on the fired cases move forward more than 3/8", it appears to me that it is likely that the chambers of the barrels of this rifle were reamed improperly.

If indeed the shoulder is moving more than 3/8" it would be patently obvious when comparing a fired reloaded case to an unfired factory cartridge. To blow the shoulder that far forward the case neck would be shortened considerably. If this is the case then no need to do chamber castings or look to seating depths, powder charge, projectile diameter etc.

The cases are being fire formed in the chamber (a common enough practice when custom forming cases from other cartridges) so my fix will work i.e. do not push the shoulder back again by running full length into the resizing die when reloading but if the chambers are too deep by 3/8" or so then the gun is way out of spec and should be fixed properly.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's no way in hell that if it is true that the shoulder is moving 3/8" forward on that rifle, unless Castro had someone do some chamber work for him. This would mean the rim cut would be 3/8" deep, now think about that.
Norma brass is much softer than others. You should try Hornady or Jamison brass.
When sizing your brass you should run the brass up full length into the die three times, rotating the brass 30 degrees each time. This will make the body of the brass perpendicular to the rim base.
If this was a problem 16 years ago when you got the rifle what did I tell you then if it indeed was an issue.

By the way Robertcat I sent you two firing pins, to return springs and a bushing wrench and like you when I didn't hear from you I thought all was good.

One more thing, NEVER NEVER clamp the barrels in a vise from the muzzle to midway up the barrels. This is a cause of ribs coming loose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BLS - I wasn’t complaining. I have a great rifle.

RC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BLS - I wasn’t complaining. I never said the shoulder moved 3/8ths I have a great rifle.
I actually want to send it to you for 450/400 barrels. I trust your work.

RC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am apologizing for causing this controversy. Rcasto, I went back and re-read your post of January 18 2005 and I see that I read the decimal point position wrong in your measurement of the fired case shoulder movement. You said it moved .0385"
not .385"

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
I am apologizing for causing this controversy. Rcasto, I went back and re-read your post of January 18 2005 and I see that I read the decimal point position wrong in your measurement of the fired case shoulder movement. You said it moved .0385"
not .385"

No matter, 38.5 thou of an inch of shoulder movement is still a lot when headspace is measured in only a few thou and the less the better provided lock up of a bolt or standing breach is not too tight and unnecessarily causing wear on the bolt lugs or stressing the hinge pin. Any forward flow of brass on a case will lead to incipient case head separation sooner or later, in rcasto's case it seems very much sooner.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Norma brass has issues,maybe it was earlier & not anymore,I have heard of case head separation before with this brand of brass,I would heed Butch's advice,try a different brand of brass.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought, shot and sold dozens of double rifles but only 2 by Searcy.

The first was/is a 470 that is rather strange. It has a left hand cheekpiece stock (ie cheek piece on the right side) but at the same time it has noticeable cast-off (ie it is cast for a right hand shooter). When I emailed Butch about this curious setup I got no answer. The rifle shoots very well but the rear trigger (which is set to fire the right barrel so it's still set up for a left-hander) has a lot of creep and the muzzle crowns look a bit crude. The forend is rather bulky. The construction is sturdy if somewhat agricultural (referring to the action internals where an undressed weld raised eyebrows.) The stock does not appear to have undergone any work. The SN BL123 indicates it is an early custom Searcy.

Thereafter I avoided the brand. Until a friend offered me a rifle built on a BSS action also in 470. He showed me the gun and the ribs, unbeknownst to the seller apparently, were visibly loose. So I passed. The seller then had Searcy relay the ribs and reregulate the rifle (I saw the invoice) and about a year later I bought the rifle under duress (the gent insisted) and then sold it on. Never did shoot it. Someone had gone to the trouble of engraving the bottom plate (elephant) but left the sides of the action stock (and rather ugly by comparison) Browning. This was the cheapest 470 I have sold.

Some of the later rifles I have seen are easier on the eye and some are very attractive.

I should state that I am a Chapuis importer as I feel those are the best value of the current makers of sxs DRs. I respect Heym for their build quality but you pay a fairly stiff premium for it. If you can find a used one for the right price jump on it. If you want Germanic then Merkel offers better value than Heym, albeit without the same level of elegance. Some of the best deals are the vintage Ferlach rifles. Krieghoff is an oddity, although it's the safest mechanism and they are well made. I helped a hunting client regulate a Blaser in camp and that experience turned me off that maker. Have never owned a Sabatti and probably won't.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Russ:
Your thoughts on Verney-Carron? Personally I fne dto be very well made and an excellent value for the money.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had several Verney Carron rifles, including a 577 and 2 600NE rifles. All were accurate, well made, and the triple lock-up is as stout as a bank vault.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Switch brass. For a long time Norma was the only game in town for some of the Nitro Express calibers. It is VERY soft. My routine was two full power loadings, one cast bullet loading then throw it away. Even then I would get separations despite being very careful not to set the shoulder back too much.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ, both the rifles you mention were made well over 20 years ago, and both had 2 or 3 owners before you.
I guess you felt a need to remind everyone you import the Chapuis rifles. That's fine I think there a good
rifle as well.
I end this discussion with a few pictures of rifles you can get from me now if your willing to spend some money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one Chapuis in 9.3 x 74r. Shoots well, triggers are Horrible, had them worked on because the rifle doubled with one pull of the trigger? Brutal in a light rifle.
I have 2 Searcy's. Great triggers, accurate and I have not had a double yet!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1117 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 2 Searcy's. Great triggers, accurate and I have not had a double yet!

+1 Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLS:
Russ, both the rifles you mention were made well over 20 years ago, and both had 2 or 3 owners before you.
I guess you felt a need to remind everyone you import the Chapuis rifles. That's fine I think there a good
rifle as well.
I end this discussion with a few pictures of rifles you can get from me now if your willing to spend some money.

Holy smokes! Yes, that’s more than I can spend, but damn fine!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I have never owned a Verney Carron, so I can't comment. You don't see too many of these in the aftermarket. I speculate that's because there aren't that many in circulation, total. And perhaps also because owners hang onto them, which is an endorsement in and of itself.

Butch, perhaps you would now care to provide the stock measurements on the mentioned "ambidextrous" rifle when it was made? When I inquired about it you were silent. And 20 years is yesterday in the double rifle world. Are you saying that the stock warped?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well gentlemen I have known Butch for some years, and have handled and shot a lot of his rifles, though I have never actually owned one.
Of all the Searcy rifles I have shot, which is several, I have never found one that was not regulated perfectly, and handled very well.

Even the older ones made on the BSS action were very accurate, and a few years ago, one of the BSS rifles was bought by a guy who wanted it to test ammo with, when I last heard of this rifle it had several thousand rounds of 470NE fired through it and was still working fine.
Gentlemen, there are several Britt makes that would have shot loose with that many rounds fired through them.
I have seven double rifles today and have owned several others over the years and if I were not 82 years old and not likely to ever buy another double rifle and/or go back to Africa and had the disposable funds I would love to have Butch build me a BIG FIVE set of five doubles engraved on the bellies

no1 375H&H fl Leopard,
no2 450-400 3" Lion,
no3 450NE Buffalo,
no4 470NE Rhino,
n05 500N Eelephant.

That is just a dream at my age, because I wouldn't live long enough to see them finished, even if I COULD afford them!

………………………………………………………... old my next home- diggin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Mac,

That’s a dream at any age!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently own a 450 NE Classic and a 375 Flanged Searcy double. I have owned a Merkel (470) , an older Heym (450) and a Krieghof (500/416). The Searcy doubles are finished as well or better. Both shoot so good with their regulated loads. I can't imagine a much better rifle for anywhere near the $$.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 375 Flanged is also such a sweet shooting and handling double rifle. tu2 I waited quite a while for mine from Butch, but it was well worth the wait. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those old BSS guns were made by Butch in his garage in Farmington N.M. and it was more than 20 years ago...He has grown in knowledge and skill a lot since those old days..Back then he did metal work for me on Mausers and mod. 70s..

Butch made some "clumky" guns at one time, but remember Butch is a big man, his hands are huge, I could use his glove for overalls..but rest assured he can build you what you want, I know because he used my "Sweet Thang" 450-400 English rifle to make a pattern stock, and its skinny!! rotflmo For a collector go English for a hunter go Searcy, if your required to shoot a charging animal in the head you better not have the fabled minute of grapefruit Enlish gun, minute of angle might just save your bacon, it has mine..pok'em in the eyeball, that gets the job done.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote