Find
Notify
Tools

How about a 700 NE?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Thanks to everyone that stopped by the booth at the shows. It was good to catch up with those that did.

We received an abnormal amount of questions on the 700NE. I always thought of it as a bit of a novelty, but I would also like to investigate opinions here...

So, is there any real interest in a boxlock or sidelock 700 NE, or would we just be building them to say that we could?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that Biebs will perk right up about that offering! shocker

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People always seem to want what they can't buy. Then when you tell them you can build it their response is "I'll think about it" Smiler

Novelty caliber as far as I am concerned. But hey, if they are willing to put down a hefty deposit you have nothing to lose.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
People always seem to want what they can't buy. Then when you tell them you can build it their response is "I'll think about it" Smiler

Novelty caliber as far as I am concerned. But hey, if they are willing to put down a hefty deposit you have nothing to lose.

is the 700 not exactly practical is it? I know Cal likes them with the wheels and requires crew, but for a production guns. Really?

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
AKman:
Not quite my young and learned friend. The .700 is a creation from the 1980s and my only interest is in prewar English doubles (or Scotland). I don't think the .700 should be referred to as a nitro express (NE) as it was never loaded with cordite. It is a cool round but because it is a modern-day item I don't even have a cartridge in my collection of NE ammo.

As far as it is practical? Anything above the .450 class is not practical nor are they needed today. But they are fun and if practicality was the rule of law, we'd all be driving Yugos.

Are you coming up this weekend? Call or email as I may have a change of plans but won't know until later Friday night.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
AKman:
Not quite my young and learned friend. The .700 is a creation from the 1980s and my only interest is in prewar English doubles (or Scotland). I don't think the .700 should be referred to as a nitro express (NE) as it was never loaded with cordite. It is a cool round but because it is a modern-day item I don't even have a cartridge in my collection of NE ammo.

As far as it is practical? Anything above the .450 class is not practical nor are they needed today. But they are fun and if practicality was the rule of law, we'd all be driving Yugos.

Are you coming up this weekend? Call or email as I may have a change of plans but won't know until later Friday night.
Cal

See, you learn something everyday! I love this place. I was planing to, but it depends on what time I leave Fairbanks and Road condition.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may have a change of plans but won't know until later Friday night.

Something more interesting than doubles? Stop being rude and introduce us to the young lady!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:

Something more interesting than doubles? Stop being rude and introduce us to the young lady!

Bob

Who said she was young? Cal's getting long in the tooth too. Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
quote:
I may have a change of plans but won't know until later Friday night.

Bob

Ok, here she is.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The above pic of Yoda IS my girl friend!
Guess how she got ears like that.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the 700NE, there was a series of ultra bore NE rifles at the Holland & Holland booth in Reno. 577NE ($285,000), 600NE ($345,000), and 700NE (tag said "Don't Ask")!!

Here is the 700NE from H&H:

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Above is a perfect example of why I admire so much the vintage rifles. While the above carries a huge price tag it lacks the refinement of the old rifles. I have handled the "Last .600" and when I compared it to the owner's other 14 .600s it was my least favorite. It, like above, is just too much, but does reflect contemporary taste in style.
I just love old weapons and old women and old cars. A character flaw, I'm sure.
Cheers, gents.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Agreed. The 700 was way over the top with the dragons and such. But then again, a 700NE is a stunt anyway don't you think.

Here is the 600NE:

And the 577NE:

Not quite as "out there" as the dragon theme but still seem to be more of a show piece than a hunting arm.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I dunno about the 700 but I could carry that 450 Jaeger you had all damn day... lovely...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a 700 H&H was a cataloged item I would have bought one years ago. Everytime I have asked makers I have been blown off with either "we don't and won't" or "do you have 250K?"

I don't care if it is modern or practical to each his own. I never thought I would want one but having a couple 577s and 600s the question to myself became why not? My guess based on nothing is that if anyone put it in a catologe with a real starting pricetag of roughly 40K that they would sell a couple a year. Not getting rich off them of course but certainly should be able to make a few bucks. Remember this is my 100% uneducated guess based only on me wanting one and what I would pay.

Cal, isn't it called the 700 H&H for a reason? It does burn nitro but certainly not ever a cordite cartridge. I may be wrong about the name but I have been told that Holland and Holland was originally adamant that it was not called the 700 Nitro Express.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Matthewx:
Good day. .700 H&H is a correct termination as that is what it is. Many refer to it as a .700 nitro express and I feel this is incorrect and, if H&H stated no, then I guess I am correct.

Todd:
They are just too much of a, errr..., good thing. The extensive carving of both metal and wood is what has kept German rifles out of my gun cabinet. Kind of like comparing Anna Nicole Smith or Pam Anderson and Grace Kelly. All are beautiful but one has classy refinement with natural lines and the other(s) are attractive due to makeup, Botox, implants, etc.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Todd:
They are just too much of a, errr..., good thing. The extensive carving of both metal and wood is what has kept German rifles out of my gun cabinet. Kind of like comparing Anna Nicole Smith or Pam Anderson and Grace Kelly. All are beautiful but one has classy refinement with natural lines and the other(s) are attractive due to makeup, Botox, implants, etc.

Cal, what an excellent analogy!! clap

I was going to say something about Blasers and lipstick on a pig at this point since you alluded to it, but discretion being the better part of valor, I shall digress from further comment! sofa

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd:
The best emetic in the world is either a photo of Janet Reno or a photo of a Blaser.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Surely, the people who own these own them as novelties, collectibles, fun-guns, as art works, or for bragging rights. It is difficult to image owning one as a field gun. They are huge and the one at SCI weighed eighteen pounds. When I asked, I was told that H&H have made about a dozen 700H&H double rifles.

I am sure that if someone wanted to order one with little or no engraving that H&H would be glad to quote a price and take their order. The same would apply to the 600 or 577, but it would seem a shame to let all that engravable surface go to waste. Heck, Cal, there's even enough space on that sidelock to engrave your portrait. However, I do agree that a simple, traditional English scroll would look much better than the deep carving and dragons but to each his own.

FWIW, the price tag on the 700H&H did not read "Don't Ask". It read "Prototype".

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

FWIW, the price tag on the 700H&H did not read "Don't Ask". It read "Prototype".

Surely you understand "Sarcasm"?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Surely you understand "Sarcasm"?
Of course, Todd. But I bet some people would have missed your sarcasm and would believe that is what the tag actually said. And, because you listed the price of the others, I just thought I would mention it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd:
The best emetic in the world is either a photo of Janet Reno or a photo of a Blaser.
Cheers, mate.
Cal
That made me chuckle.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
If I had Comrade Putin's money I'd ignore the 700 H&H,
but I WOULD have as part of my collection a bolt action
magazine rifle in Hubel's 700 HE caliber for sure.
http://www.therichest.org/cele...mir-putin-net-worth/

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote