New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope affecting regulation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about mounting a scope on my K-Gun. Was thinking a Swarovski 1-6x with extended eye relief. Will this affect regulation much? The gun is regulated unscoped. Caliber is 500/416.

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello Norsk

Had absolutely no affect on my 470 NE K gun
I mounted the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 x 4 x 24.
Just improved my groups.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It might and it might not. I mounted a Trijicon 1.25X4 on my Chapuis 9.3X74R and had one hell of a time getting it to regulate. Take the scope off and it was fine. Put it on and it's anyones guess.

I finally did find a load combination that works with the scope on but it took 16 loads before finding the magic combo. Now I need to find a solid load combo that works as well.

The interesting thing is that once I found a load that worked with the scope, it also worked without the scope. My particular rifle seems to be very forgiving without the scope but really finicky with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not have any problem when I scoped my 9,3x74R Chapuis or my 450/400.

Your scope choice is a very good one. I would definately get it with the illuminated reticle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A scope on a double is akin to insest, child molestation and not condusive to American values such as motherhood and apple pie. shame on ya'll..

I better add, just joking Ya'll ...I've already been in trouble once to day.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I did not have any problem when I scoped my 9,3x74R Chapuis or my 450/400.

What load were you using if you don't mind me asking. Just curious as I had a hell of a time. Factory or Handloads? Also, at what range were you shooting? I was trying to get a load that shot well to 100 yards. That may not make a difference but I'm really interested in as many variables as possible to figure out why my experience went the way it did.

Really curious if it was my rifle, or my technique for shooting the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Norsk - Mounting a scope on your double may indeed affect regualtion - then again it may not..... My Searcy 450/400 was regulated with iron sights and a Leupold VX-2 1-4x scope. I tried upgrading the scope to a Trijicon 1-4 with a 30 mm tube and then again with a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5. With the original scope installed by Butch Searcy, the rifle shot 2 shots touching at 50 yards. With the "better" scopes mounted, my pair of shots went to 4" apart with the barrels crossing at 50 yds. I do not know what kind of voodoo occurs with a double rifle when you start messing with scopes, but it sure affected mine. I went back to the original scope, and accuracy returned to normal.

Good luck!

Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a K gun in 500/416. The scope does NOT affect regulation in my gun.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A scope can effect the regulation of a double rifle under certain circumstances..One such situation is when bases are soldered on and too much heat effected the solder on the barrels. another could only be that for some reason unknow to me is that the scope interfered with the viberatons of the barrels and took the gun out of regulation. Another instance I know of was that the rings and bases were out of sinc with the barrels...As far as I know this happens very rarely...I'm just passing on what some of the gun makers have told me over the years..I personally have never had the problem, probably because I never had a double with a scope! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote