THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    450/400 How much should it weigh??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 How much should it weigh??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have decided to take the plunge on my first double rifle. I have narrowed it down to a 450/400 or 450 3 1/4, but I'm leaning heavily toward the 450/400. I think I would use a 450/400 more. My 10 year old son and I took our first trip to Africa (Namibia) last month, and we had a blast. I think it would be fun to take a scoped double on our future plains game hunts. I also plan to do a buff hunt alone, without my little guy. This has me thinking 450/400 for my first double.

I began the process thinking a 450/400 at about 9 pounds before scope would be a nice compromise between weight and recoil. I've only been looking for a couple months but so far,.....the SxS 450/400's I have found are weighing between 10 lbs 2 oz and 11 lbs 4 oz without scope.

Am I off base thinking a 450/400 should weigh 9 pounds?? Would the recoil be excessive? If I buy an 11 pound rifle, I'd rather step it up to a 450 3 1/4.

How much should a 450/400 double weigh?

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Mine weighs a little under 9.5 lb and recoil isn't to bad.I would think a 9 pounder would be about right after adding the scope.Just make sure the rifle fits you.

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9 1/2 Lbs. was the standard for later 450/400s.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
9 1/2-10 lbs

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly my 450/400 3 1/4" weighs 10 lbs 2 oz.

I scoped it with a S&B 1.1to4, with illuminated flashdot reticle.

I have not weighed it with the scope on it.

Does not seem too heavy to me.

A scoped 450/400 is a most excellent hunting rifle.

Now that Hornady is making 450/400 3" ammo, it is probably a better choice, but If you want a British double and found a good 3 1/4" I would not pass it up.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that if I was buying a new made double rifle today it would be a Heym 450/400 3" with a scope in Claw mounts.

26" bbls with splinter forend.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
8 lbs., but it ain't ever going to happen!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19335 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Blue Devil:

The 450/400 is a very fine cartridge indeed but I think that you have pointed out the "problem" (if you can call it that) with this particular round. Most 450/400s weigh upwards of ten pounds and then, most owners want to put a scope on them. That pushes the weight to +/ eleven pounds. That's awfully heavy for a 400 grain bullet at +/- 2100 fps. My feeling was if I was going to carry that much weight, I wanted more cartridge so I choose a .500/.416 instead. My K-gun in that caliber weighs in around 10.5 pounds without a scope and I think that is about perfect. Since I don't care for scopes on doubles, I also have a .416 Rigby that with a scope will weigh about ten pounds.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9lbs for a 450/400; 10lbs for a 450 3 1/4"

If your ordering a new rifle. I looking used, settle for 9 1/2lbs for the 450/400, and that will take a lot of looking. But no reason to hump a 10lb or 10 plus lb rifle and shoot 400grs of bullet.

I suspact that the more buff and elephant hunting you do, the lighter you will want your rifle in any given cartridge. Also, I'll bet that if you get into elephant hunting and hunt more than a few, you'll end up with a 450 (or 500.)

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
9lbs for a 450/400; 10lbs for a 450 3 1/4"

If your ordering a new rifle. I looking used, settle for 9 1/2lbs for the 450/400, and that will take a lot of looking. But no reason to hump a 10lb or 10 plus lb rifle and shoot 400grs of bullet.

I suspact that the more buff and elephant hunting you do, the lighter you will want your rifle in any given cartridge. Also, I'll bet that if you get into elephant hunting and hunt more than a few, you'll end up with a 450 (or 500.)

JPK

When I was shopping for my 450/400 cal. vintage U.K. built double, {which

I did for about a year and a half, and I was open to either length, 3" or

3 1/4"} I was happy to find one for sale that was 10 lb. 4 oz. or lighter.

But when I found one it was 19 thousand or more dollars. I could not spend

that much, and I really wanted one at or under 10 pounds, and again I wanted

vintage U.K. built. The rifle I ultimately bought and now own is 10 pounds

7 ounces, 28" barrels. You're gonna need money into the twenties I'll bet to

get a 10 pounder, {or lighter} unless you come upon a guy that just wants to

sell fast or the rifle is quite needy of repair, IF you want an old U.K. rifle.

If you are NOT pulled by the history and all that comes with an old U.K. rifle

see www.kebcollc.com - www.heymusa.com and www.eurogunimports.com

in no particular order, and also I think Merkel and Krieghoff both offer 450/400

caliber at this time.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
My new FAMARS will be 9-9.5lbs with 25in barrels. I think thats about right.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THAT IS ABOUT RIGHT! In more ways than weight!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed B....what, no wood pix again???

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
We will have to see the finished product! Wink Big Grin

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
My Heym .450/.400 3" weighs 10lb 2oz with its 26' barrels. That's a bit heavier and muzzle heavy than I'd like but it's a pussy to shoot and seems to kick less than my heavy 338 Win. It handles well, though: I shot a running deer with it the other day and I can shoot the same group as the factory test off sticks at 50 yards. If anything, the gentle recoil makes me feel as though I'm cheating somehow.

Cheers
- Paul

Posts: 5021 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That should be 26-inch barrels

Posts: 5021 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, you make a good point...I don't know why the 500-416 isn't more popular than it is. It's really the only offering in a double rifle that approaches the benchmark "400gr @ 2,400fps" that has made the 416 Rigby, 416 Rem, etc so popular for any large African game. Maybe it's a matter of tradition, or lack of same. Someone (other than a PH) picking a double as their primary DGR is probably into it for the tradition and history of African hunting as anything else.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 450/400 set the benchmark at 400 grains and 2000-2050 real world fps a century ago, and it killed them plenty dead enough. More velocity is better, but only as long as the package weighs the same and is just as easy to shoot. At 10.5-11 lbs, I'd want something bigger too.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One day at a DRSS shoot I was able to fire a coue of 450/400 British guns, a 500/416 Krieghoff, my 450 No2, and a couple of modern 470's.

The 450/400's had the least recoil.

The 500/416 and 470's kicked the same to me, and more than my 450 No2, which being British is a little heavier than the modern 500/416 and the 470's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 3 1/4" 1909 Greener is a bit under 9#. It has considerably less felt recoil than my 3" Green and Sons weighing about 10.5#. Stock design.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WY:
My 3 1/4" 1909 Greener is a bit under 9#.

Nitro? If so then ohhh, ahhh, I'm envious.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Be envious all you want.

I have an 8# 12.8 oz. Ad Jansen best quality BLE. Still too damned light.

Just trying to stir the little bastards up. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK,

Yep, N E 3 1/4" with nice bright bores.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone should get hung up over a few ounces. Most of the time you are at the range with the rifle anyhow.

What does seem important to me is how easily it carries. If it balances well on the shoulder and perhaps if it has a well padded sling that will be more appreciated than half a pound of weight.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
texasbluedevil

I replied to your PM, but my Krieghoff that I have for sale weighs 10.6lbs

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote