THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    RCBS Sizing Die Threaded Rod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Sizing Die Threaded Rod
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The threaded rod in my 450/400 3.25" RCBS F/L sizing die is a a little bent. It's

enough that the depriming pin won't align with the flash hole. It measures 4.104"

long with my calipers. Will the threaded rod from an RCBS 375 H&H Mag F/L

sizing die be the same rod as mine? I called RCBS but they only take calls Mon-

Thurs. If the 375 rod is not the same as mine is there another semi-common die

that does use the same rod? Thanks guys.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that the 375 rod is too short. The rod from another 3 1/4 case like a 470 should work. I would spend some time trying to straighten it without damaging the threads.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Take it apart the gently hammer it straight on a flat hard surface. Quick and easy. Roll it on a table top to look for high spots.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think 470Evans is correct because of the 450/400 3 1/4". If it were the 3" 450/400 then the 375 H&H rod would work like a charm! The rod in the 470NE die is considerably longer that the one in the 375 H&H, and is proper for the 3 1/4" case.

I have all three dies in front of me as we speak. I had the same trouble with a set of 9.3X74R dies, and I used the rod from the 375H&H die to load the 9.3s, by simply changeing the .375 expander plug for the 9.3

Good luck As Mike says you can straighten the rod by threading nuts on both ends of the rod to protect the threads, and use a hammer to carefully work the rod straight.

............Good luck! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to hammer, make sure that you use either a lead or plastic faced hammer to avoid buggering the threads.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll attempt to straighten it with hammer strikes while shielding it with wood,

thanks for the ideas. I intend to remove used primers with a punch in a separate

step as a rule, but the rod should be straight, I'm sure we all agree.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You might try putting the rod between two blocks of relatively soft wood so the whole length of the rod is supported on both top and bottom sides as the blocks come together, then pressing the blocks together in a vice. That's what I did and it worked fine.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If you want to do it seperately.. Try this tool from Steve Mecham. It's a Harry Pope re and decapper.

http://www.meachamrifles.com/page.php?id=16

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I can't get the link to work! Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always rolled them on a flat surface, marking the high spot. Then i set the ends on strips of wood, and used another small piece on the high spot, hitting it with a hammer, untill i had the rod straight again.

Over the years, for one reason or another, i've straightened a lot of them...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Mac,it works for me. Google Mecham Rifles.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Mac,it works for me. Google Mecham Rifles.

Thanks Mike! It works for me now as well!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith