THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What features are needed on ones first double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What features are needed on ones first double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys

l am hoping to get my first big double rifle ordered shortly, and trying to narrow my choice down. l have been using the search feature for the last month or so checking out info and feed back on a few different rifles and the features they have. And lm just as confused as ever. l know its hard, as every user has a different reason and criteria for choosing their own double. And for every few good reports on a rifle, there will be a bad one.
l know if l choose from one of the main reputable manufacturers, l wont go to far wrong, l hope. And l have thought of export a rifle from the states. Being a left hander, rifle are not plentiful. And no one here in Oz has a lefty available to throw up to the shoulder to check for fit and feel. lm a little hesitant to shoot to many right handed rifles as l think they will smack me in the chops a bit due to cast for a right hander. And l dont want that first impression to put me off a good well made rifle that may fit me well if it had a left hand stock. Whatever l choose now, l will have for ever, as l dont like selling rifles.

So, on the list of features. The main ones are:
Ejectors or extractors
Articulated front trigger
lntersepting sears

A couple of rifles not on my list due to there cost here are: Heym. Chapuis
Rifles on my list and within my budget: Merkel, K-gun, Blaser, V-C and Butch's Field grade.
lf anyone knows of any good L/H available in the states please let me know, looking at around the $10k mark

Thanks
Jack

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Needed? My first real double had extractors, double triggers. I still prefer them simple in design and don't need anything beyond that. I don't need intercepting sears, articulated triggers, and don't like ejectors. Cheek pieces are optional but if it has one I don't mind. I like sling swivels; not for shooting; just for carrying it when game is not expected. Engraving is up to your budget unless it is like the basic Chapuis which is lasered on so doesn't cost anything. (well, not as much as human engraving) Ability to mount a scope is good and I can machine them if I had to. I mounted a Recknagel mount on my Krieg; milled the DT slot. But for true DG, you might not want a scope. Actually for the money, I would say go with Searcy. K guns are good too if you like the safety, which is not hard to train yourself to use. Blaser; yuck.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with searcy's field double for 8750.00 us dollars available again in a left hand, i'd say your search is over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is more important than having the rifle fit you.

Searcy did a perfect job in that department for me (lefty as you are). Can't say the articulated front trigger does me any good but the intercepting sears on my Heym PH makes me feel a whole lot safer. Seriously doubt you can find a lefty with articulated trigger and intercepting sears for $10K. So, if those items are high are your wish list you should consider increasing your budget.

Remember three things, FIT, FIT, and FIT.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Nothing is more important than having the rifle fit you.
Remember three things, FIT, FIT, and FIT.

+1

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fit is everything as has been said. This would be the first and most important feature. It should feel like part of you and line up the sights with your eyes closed when you mount it. Caliber that you can handle and shoot well. You are better off shooting a lighter caliber well than a larger one poorly. Good sights that work for your eyes at the ranges you will be shooting. Double triggers with articulated front trigger is nice. Ejectors over extractors.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Searcy +3! tu2

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I would look at a Verney-Carron or Searcy with a small splinter fore-end and a nice drop in the heel (enough drop to not need to drop your face onto the stock). Intercepting sears are a good safety measure with articulating trigger and Ejectors a matter of personal preference.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

lf l need ejectors, rules out: K-gun, Searcy field grade, Blaser
lf l need articulated front trigger, rules out: Searcy field grade,
Intercepting sears, rules out: Searcy field grade, l think Blaser.
Merkel appears to have most things, but have read some bad reports about them??

l hope its going to be more fun shooting it than trying to decide which gun to buy Wink

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym PH comes stock with the articulated front trigger, ejectors, intercepting sears, as well as cocking indicators and is built from the ground up to fit you. More expensive, yes. But by the time you pick another brand and add these same features you are looking at similar prices. Pretty much all brands will be similarly priced with equal options.

I've never owned nor shot a Merkel so can not offer any valid comments. But if you want to see if a double is for you have Chapuis build you a 9,3x74R UGEX for about $5K US. It will not have intercepting sears or articulated front trigger but it will be built to your LOP, have ejectors, and have the left trigger firing the left barrel.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have no idea why an articulating front trigger is needed. My finger tends to stay put and doesn't flop around in recoil. As for your discounting Blaser on the safety sear issue; since you have to re-cock a Blaser each time you open it after firing, it is always safe (as long as you haven't cocked it). But take a good look at Blasers before you buy one; they are clunkers. Shoot great and are adjustable for regulation, but are massive pieces of iron and aluminum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the most important requirement is getting one that fits. If your chosen maker doesn't provide custom fit I would find another that does. If they do provide for custom dimensions, do you know what yours are? Is there some one there that knows how to take your dimensions? Butch Searcy has a method of you sending him your body measurements and he figures out what dimensions that you need. He did that for me and the rifle came out perfect for fit for me.

Articulated front trigger is only needed if you have poor shooting form. If you hold the trigger back until recoil reaches its apex, you won't need one. Intercepting sears are a good safety addition but it may add to the cost of the rifle. Ejectors are nice and add to the resale value of the rifle but not critical to performance.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l have seen Butch's sheet for measurements. Are there other ways to know what your dimensions are? l would not have a clue as to what size l need. l will ask the distributors here about a custom fit stock.

Cheers
Jack

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good luck; most "factory" made DRs can't be had with custom stock features like changes in LOP, drop at heel and toe. . The smaller custom makers can, like Searcy. Chapuis will change the LOP, but not any other stock features at least on the one I got. But really, unless your body is out of the 90% norm for anthropomorphic features, a standard issue DR like a K will fit fine. Most DR shooters don't have custom made rifles. I know, many here on AR do. As for measuring your own dimensions, there are a few important ones to know; Length of Pull, drop at heel and toe, cast off or on. Grip diameter, (which may be affected by caliber). There are several websites devoted to stock dimensions. good to check those to get a working knowledge of the terms. And always good to handle a rifle you like and that fits. A double should handle like a, well, fine double, and come up and (like a shotgun) point naturally at where your eyes are looking. That is the forte of a good DR and why they are so coveted for DG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack H:
l have seen Butch's sheet for measurements. Are there other ways to know what your dimensions are? l would not have a clue as to what size l need. l will ask the distributors here about a custom fit stock.

Jack H,

I'm not sure about Oz but here in the US there are people trained to measure clients for gun fit. Something to consider though is that the proper fit for a big bore rifle will be a little different than for a shotgun. I don't agree that just because your average in dimensions that a factory stocked double will fit. A couple of years ago at the SCI convention I handled two Merkel 500 nitro doubles. One fit the other didn't. One was well balanced and the other wasn't. Recently I handled 5 Sabbatis in calibers ranging from 450/400 to 500. The drop was different on all of them. Three out of the five I couldn't shoot as they were to straight.

If you get a Searcy and it doesn't fit, Butch will adjust it for no cost. Although you do have to get it to him.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd. l will have a look at some stock dimension sites and check thing out. The K-gun dealer was going to try and find out the std stock measurements for me. To see how close its fit will be. l am not normal, but would class myself as average Wink

A question for you left hand shooters. Would you get triggers reversed if it is an option? l know most shoot right hand trigger setups. Not many guns swap the front trigger to the left. l dont mind a right hand trigger set up anyway.

Cheers
Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do it right and get the left trigger up front. Any builder worth a shit will do this for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed and i've been shooting with the front trigger = right bbl. on doubles for a long long time.

I wouldn't have it any other way these days...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scott f.:
with searcy's field double for 8750.00 us dollars available again in a left hand, i'd say your search is over.

For a lefty the Searcy field grade is a real buy! I totally agree with Scott on that choice, and you can be absolutly sure the rifle will be regulated properly with anything with B, Searcy's name on it! Give Butch a call, he will talk to you personally, and he speaks and understands English! Even OZ English! Big Grin
.............................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote