New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone discussed the idea of using the Ruger round action S/S as the basis for a DR? Is that workable? gduffey

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
gduffey, I'd say it is quite a workable idea, just from looking at the gun from the outside! I haven't looked inside to see how the gun is locked up, however, and that would be the deal breaker! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an article in the new DGJ about them. I don't see any type of dolls head or other top fasterner. I wonder how much thrust the locking mech. could take as is? Then there is the idea of a modern Paradox. H&H is actually builidng them again. As I am not the king of a country, just my little local fifedom I probably will not order one. I might waste money on a homebuilt though. gduffey

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gduffey:
There is an article in the new DGJ about them. I don't see any type of dolls head or other top fasterner. I wonder how much thrust the locking mech. could take as is? Then there is the idea of a modern Paradox. H&H is actually builidng them again. As I am not the king of a country, just my little local fifedom I probably will not order one. I might waste money on a homebuilt though. gduffey

gduffey, there are many fine double rifle around that have no top fastener, and some are well over 100 yrs old, and are still tight as a drum head! It is not a real hard job to retro-fit a doll's head in a double rifle that doesn't have one, if you just would feel better with something on top! Most would charge you a great deal, but it isn't a complex job, and anyone with a working knowledge of a milling machine can do the fitting. It requires little hand work, if done properly.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose that this is just not an efficient proposition now that there are cheaper doubles than ever, relatively speaking. Someone will monoblock one at some point and we will hear about it. I would love to see it and the Paradox. gduffey

posted Hide Post
Within the last 6-8 years, there was an article in either SCI's or Dallas Safari Club's magazine about converting the Ruger Red Label shotgun into an O/U double rifle. The author of the article was curious about such a project would be feasible and converted his Red Label into a .450 NE (3"?). He did not report any problems with his new rifle; in fact he reported pretty good results. As a .450 NE #2 double rifle owner at the time, I thought this was an interesting project; and that it could be sensible to have a set of shotgun and rifle barrels on a mixed bag hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure but seems to me Ruger made up a couple of 375 h&h barrels for the Red Label. I looked at the gold label but they are a bit light, even the water table is milled out on top.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Well, I would want two triggers on the Gold Label before I would even think about having it as a donor for a DR. One trigger just does not seem right to me on a DG DR.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote