THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Selling a Chapuis 9.3x74R double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling a Chapuis 9.3x74R double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Listed in the Classifieds if anyone is interested.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why didn't you put some info here ?

and pics

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Okay, here it is:

Selling my 9.3x74R Chapuis. Have had it only about 3 months. Took it to Africa and used it on a couple tuskless cows. There are a couple light marks on the buttstock near the checkpiece from walking through the bush but not really noticeable. Sights as are from factory. Added a 0.8" Pachmayr skeet recoil pad with the plastic heel insert to prevent catching on my shirt. 14" Length of pull.

Ejectors.

Includes 107 new Norma brass. About 80 once-fired Norma brass. Two snap caps. RCBS dies, manual, original sight-in target, and original wood buttplate. Chapuis shipping case.

SINGLE TRIGGER.

$4195 + $25 Shipping + FFL.

Let me know if interested.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out them chicken legs...! Big Grin Just kidding, mine are about twice that big!
Are there any trades you might consider?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the extra cash and that rifle had TWO triggers.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Good thing you're in the States as the wife and I would be having a sizeable arguement over that purchase!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will .... you have a PM

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will

Can you tell us how the rifle performed?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will this may not help sell your gun, but what bullet and load did you use for the elephant? I assume it was legal?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming your package price includes an autographed copy of your book...I'll take it!

PM headed your way with details.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
AZguy:

An autographed copy... heck, that has to screw up the price matrex. Tell him you'll pay $2k for the gun and dispose of 100 books.

Big Grin

Actually, Bill writes pretty darn well and, with or without the book, the price is right. I hope to heck you secure the deal and enjoy the little rifle with the big bite. I love my 9.3x74 double.

And Mr. Stewart, your picture reminds me why the PGA requires the pros to wear long britches.

dancing

Dang! I must be bored as hell.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AZGuy

If you do buy Wills Chapuis let me know, I will give some advise on how to "survive" with a single trigger double rifle.

Also I consider the 9,3x74R Chapuis one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle WIll, and decent price! If you were in Canada, I'd hock a few rifles to get my hands on it. Seriously. I shot a 470 NE a couple months ago and it has piqued my interest.

Great pic with the ele! And welcome back from your hunt. Does a classified ad pass for a hunting report these days?? Wink

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm glad AzGuy bought that rifle, because my fingers were starting to itch, and I already have two 9.3X74R double rifles. That, however is a very nice little rifle, and with the add ons it is a real buy! thumb

Hey AzGuy, Will may discount the price if you have to read his book to make the deal work!
jumping jumping jumping sofa

Just kidding, that book is a good read!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG AZ. Presuming you got the autographed book, too! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually "DB Bill" beat me to the rifle by 38 minutes! Frowner

I guess I'm really a double trigger guy at heart, because it took me 3 beers and 45 minutes to get comfortable with the single trigger.

Oh well, my search continues beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well guys I guess this proves if something is "to be" it will "be" eventually.

I had ordered this on the latest group buy and right before it got here we had a pipe burst while we were gone for the week-end so I had to forego the pleasure of buying the rifle as I was busy making plumers, electricians, and misc other "artesians" who do floor, lay tile, and put in new fixtures semi-wealthy--- could have gone to Africa for a month and had some fun with what it cost.

Everyone has been paid off.....they're all bought new trucks, their wives and girl friends got either jewels or a new washer and I actually had a few discretionary dollars in my pocket when Will posted the ad --- so in effect I'm really just buying my own rifle back.

This will be my first double rifle as well as my first 9,3x74R so any help, advice etc would be appreciated.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill
Congratulations, I think you will like the Chapuis.

I have used mine a great deal here in the US [also one black bear hunt to Canada] and on 3 trips to Zimbabwe.
I think it is one of the best hunting rifles on the planet.

Light weight, handy, easy to carry, accurate, and with light recoil.

The 9,3x74R cartrudge has proven to be a real killer.

Not too much for deer/impala sized game, and plenty enough for buff and elephant.

It is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I would recommend.

First get a scope mount.
I have the Chapuis pivot mount [with 2 scopes in rings] and it has worked for me very well.

It is quick on and off and goes back to zero 100%
They also have a claw mount, which is probably the best type of mount there is.

I have a Leupold 2.5x8 with the Heavy Duplex and a 1.5-6x42 Swarovske with the illuminated circle dot reticle. I much prefer the Swarovski.
I hiughly recommend an illuminated reticle.

Speer 270 gr bullets have worked fine for me on deer and pigs, as well as for "plinking".

However my favorite hunting bullets are the 286 gr Woodleigh Soft, and the 286gr Nosler partition. They both work great on small game and I killed a cape buff with the 286 Woodleigh soft, worked perfect. When I need a solid I use the 286gr Woodleigh.

It has worked perfect on turkeys, a caracal and on elephant.

I use 65 gr of IMR 4831 with a Federal Mag primer with all 3 of the 286gr bullets.

They all hit close enough together to use the same scope setting out to @250 yards. The Nosler starts to shoot a bit flatter from here on out.

I carry extra ammo in a buttstock shell carrier by Murray Leather.

In Africa I keep the last 4 rounds solids, except when hunting elephants where I have only solids in the buttstock carrier.

I always have extra softs and solids on my belt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All my doubles have double triggers, however i do not consider a single trigger to be a problem on a 9,3.

When I was hunting plains game with the 9,3 I had both bbls loaded with softs. When we "discovered" elephants nearby, even if we were not hunting them I would [at the PH's request] load 2 solids until we were clear of them.

When hunting buff I loaded a soft in the right and a solid in the left. When hunting elephants it was two solids of course.

You loose the instant selection of soft/solid, but a little planning ahead should make this not a big problem.

The ability to quickly and silently change ammo in a double will solve most situations, and a single trigger double is certainly easier to deal with in this manner than a bolt rifle.

In short I would not fret about the single trigger.

By having extra ammo on the rifle stock any changes can be made quickly.

On one buffalo with my 450/400 I had fired a soft and a solid, reloaded with 2 solids as the buff ran a short distrance, when the buff stopped the herd was directly behind him. I was about 20 or 30 yards away, I opened the gun, replaced the solids with softs and fired.

Again, with a little thought and practice the single trigger is not a problem.

Let us know how she shoots.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:

This will be my first double rifle as well as my first 9,3x74R so any help, advice etc would be appreciated.

Confused Confused Confused What about the O/U Win Euro 9.3X74R double rifle you sold me???????????????????

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
That wasn't really a double ... it was an O/U.

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill
Glad you said that and not me. Eeker shocker diggin sofa jumping

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
That wasn't really a double ... it was an O/U.

quote:
orginally posted by NE 450 No2

DB Bill
Glad you said that and not me. Eeker shocker diggin sofa jumping

jumping jumping jumping thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Congratulations, Sir!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

since you have YOUR DR, what is the situation on the one you had ordered? Will you still want it, or might I get you place in the order list...?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho .... this was originally supposed to be mine but the week before it came in we had a pipe burst in out house and all of a sudden my discretionary funds were gone so rather than ask that the gun be held for a couple on mohths I told him to sell it if he could. He sold it to Will ..... but I guess it was meant to be mine after all. I should have it sometime later this week but then I need to wait 10 days while California checks to make sure I haven't turned into a felon since the last time I bought a firearm. I suspect it will be sometime after Labor Day before I get to shoot it.

DB Bill aka Bill George