THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Best double rifle out there (design)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best double rifle out there (design)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, don't know much about double rifles, mostly what I read here. I read a thread once where somebody talked about a round bodied double action that is supposed to be really strong and sleek. small firm or single builder makes it. I can't remember the details and of course can't figure out what search will bring it up.

Anybody able to help me here? A lesson in the different actions would be cool too if anybody feels like it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The Scottish Round Action (AKA trigger-plate lock) by David McKay Brown.

IIRC, 50K pounds plus engraving.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never handled one but a rifle discribed as a wand cant be all bad.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

First off I will not bad mouth any makers, but it is hard to beat an Anson & Deely action for any rifle. They are very stong and hold up to the big punishing calibers. They are quite simple to work on for the gunmaker and make up to be a beautiful piece.

I think that trigger plate actions should be left for the small bore rifles, and any stocker must have the skill to properly head the stock, as there is no room for error since there isn't much wood left in the head due to the trigger plate design.

Anyone looking at German blitz ( trigger plate )guns or rifles know that many you see will be cracked at the head.

This is just my opinion ( and you know what they say about that! ) but I feel better carrying an A/D rifle in large caliber than any other design.

Sidelocks and backlock designs are wonderful, but I prefer the A/D. If a dangerous game rifle, and had to choose between these two, I would go for the backlock, as there is more strength in the action.

I know this is all just talk, but it is interesting to see what others think on action design.

I also prefer the Jones underlever, back action hammer rifles due to their properties, and beauty.

Lets see what you all have to say.

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the one that I remember! Could somebody please explain these actions. I guess I can just do a search later now that I have names. Thanks guys.

Red

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
That's the one that I remember! Could somebody please explain these actions. I guess I can just do a search later now that I have names. Thanks guys.

Red

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I found somewhere in the searching a link to Hallowell and they had some information on the different actions as well. got a lot more reading before I know all that is going on. i am sure it is all here now that I am on the right path.

Red

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

The action above is a true trigger plate lock action. This action is usually found on small bore double rifles, but mostly on shotguns, and is about the weakest action that you will find on a double rifle! This is different from a A forward trigger plate lock which is a lock thet is basicly the same as a regular box lock. What I mean by that is, the toumblers ,and springs are in slotts milled in the back of the action body, but the pins that hold the toumblers, and and triggers are attached to a BOTTOM plate, that is fitted into the bottom of the action it's self, and the bottom tang is part of the action, not the trigger plate. This type requires no more wood be removed that a box lock. Only the moveing parts of the locks come out of the rifle for cleaning and repair on the trigger plate, leaving the bottom tang in place! This also exposes the cocking levers in the bottom of the Barr, for cleaning, and lubricating. This is a true GERMAN BLITZ ACTION, and is similer to the Westley drop lock action, and is as strong as almost any box lock.

The Anson & Deeley action is strong, and IMO stronger that a true side lock, but not as strong as a Webley box lock action, which is the best of the Box locks, IMO!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only seen 4, one a Beretta O/U in 9.3x74R was nice, and fit me beautifully (much like my shotgun), but it seemed to me that loading in a hurry might be a tad awkward.
Another, a Kreighoff .470 (don't know the model #) was nice, but a tad awkward to shoulder. That probably would have worn off over time, as I got used to it.
The third was a set of double rifle BBLs for my Blaser 95, which being a BBF with the single shot then recock type of action, doesn't really count, but still worked very nicely.
The last (and by far the nicest, both mechanically and visually) was a H&H sidelock in 375 flanged. Beautiful in every respect, but a pipe dream, as far as being able to afford (or even require) it.
Still, a fine example of the makers art.
JMHO.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote