New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Nitro 3" questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like I'll be loading for a friends Krieghoff double and I need to know the max and trim to case length (3"???).....also, what case trimmer would you recommend???

Plan to use Woodleigh 570 softs and solids.....IMR 4831 powder.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just loaded 50 rounds this afternoon. I trim to 2.990, max is 3.00. I use 110 grains of IMR4831, Federal 215M, 570 grain Woodleighs. I use a Forster Classic Trimmer and it is long enough to easily handle nitro cartridges. Good luck.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike

I have 3 trimmers, a redding that uses a collet device to hold the case, a Hornady that uses shell holders to hold the case, and a Lyman that uses a camming device to hold the case......

The Redding collet is too small for the case head, the Lyman is also too small to hold the case head and the cutter head on the Hornady is smaller than the case mouth! Big Grin

Looks like I need a Forster trimmer to add to the collection!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to our mutual friend today. Nice guy and he bent my ear about doubles and I bent his about ele. If we're not careful we will talk each other into spending some serious money.

The world needs more double owners I guess.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding just came out with a new collet 2 weeks ago that fits the nitro cartridges.

As of today, I don't think they are in the distribution chain yet, but you can order it directly from Redding. Their part number is 99301 and they list for $18.00. (Add $6.00 for shipping if ordered factory direct.)

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim......I'll check it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Just loaded 50 rounds this afternoon. I trim to 2.90, max is 3.00. I use 110 grains of IMR4831, Federal 215M, 570 grain Woodleighs. I use a Forster Classic Trimmer and it is long enough to easily handle nitro cartridges. Good luck.

I use the same load and same equipment to trim the cases.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang! Trim a 3.000" max to 2.900"???

Don't you mean 2.990" trim-to length?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
RIP, good catch, that is exactly what I meant to type.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJ,

how expensive is brass these days?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Haven't had to buy brass in a while. I stocked up when I got my .500 (found a decent deal on some on E-Bay) and probably have 75-100 cases at this point. Mix of A-Square and Jamison primarily. I have yet to have a piece of brass go bad, i.e., split, etc.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snclear trimmer.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Snclear trimmer

If you mean "Sinclair", it won't work with NE brass.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jamison brass is about 42 dollars for 20 cases, Graf and Sons just ran out two weeks ago. Forster Classic Trimmer works great. I use 106 grains of IMR4350 with 570grain Woodleighs, 215 Federal primers. Mikes load listed above with the IMR4831 sounds like a winner also.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote