Find
Notify
Tools

Cal's collection
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
Anyone know what happened to Cal's collection? Has it been sold or ???

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was thinning it out in the last year or so....not sure what was left when he passed.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Along with the M1 Garand that I sold him, I also sold him a 1943 Remington Rand 1911 A1,all original. I wonder where it went.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been wondering too??!! I hope they are finding good homes and not just withering away in his cabin....

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good, WORTHY homes, + not some thief.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know when/where they will come to market or be sold via private sale, but rest assured that they are in very capable and trustworthy and DR knowledgeable friend's hands who will do his legacy right and make sure his heir (mother) receives the maximum benefit(and who do not by any possible stretch of the imagination have/need anything to gain by cheating her). Here's one I know of for sale:

http://www.hallowellco.com/Man...0double%20rifle.html

Bob (and I do miss my good old friend Cal)

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Thanks Bob.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Omni-Bob,

Thanks for the update!! I, too, miss my regular contact with Cal, and his great Double rifle gatherings!!

That is a fine Manton!! I am a junkie ... my 470 Elephant slayer is a Manton!!

I know that Cal bought a fine cased H&H 577-20GA very recently from Hallowell. that once was owned by our old late friend David Powell. I would like to buy that, but at my age shouldn't!! I do know of an interested buyer. Perhaps you could call me with info on how to connect parties.

After much arm twisting, I sold my complete collection of HATARI TIMES MAGAZINES to Cal. He had articles in many of them, I was copy/proof editor for Harald Wolfe, publisher. I would buy them back to maintain the set if you could put me in touch.

We are losing our great old friends at a rapid pace!! Old Friends are worth more than GOLD!!... Guys like Cal are PRICELESS!!

I would buy a set of his books if available??!!

CheerZ, Steve
email s.p.foxhunt@juno.com
Mobile 253 677 8950

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great offers. He helped me buy my first old English double never met him in person but very helpful. Hope it all works out for the parties involved

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Bob. That's good to know.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear an update, Thanks bob.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a chat with Morris Hallowell yesterday.

He advises that the Manton 10 bore noted above is a local Montana guy's piece. Also the 577-20ga Holland he had listed didn't go to Cal, but was returned to the Consignor...

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
I am working with the executor to catalog and group Cal’s stuff for sale. It’s a large task given the size of his collection, the number of accessories/brass and cases for all the guns and our schedules.

I will post here when they’re going to auction/sale and where they’re going.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Omni-Bob,

Thanks for the update!! I, too, miss my regular contact with Cal, and his great Double rifle gatherings!!

That is a fine Manton!! I am a junkie ... my 470 Elephant slayer is a Manton!!

I know that Cal bought a fine cased H&H 577-20GA very recently from Hallowell. that once was owned by our old late friend David Powell. I would like to buy that, but at my age shouldn't!! I do know of an interested buyer. Perhaps you could call me with info on how to connect parties.

After much arm twisting, I sold my complete collection of HATARI TIMES MAGAZINES to Cal. He had articles in many of them, I was copy/proof editor for Harald Wolfe, publisher. I would buy them back to maintain the set if you could put me in touch.

We are losing our great old friends at a rapid pace!! Old Friends are worth more than GOLD!!... Guys like Cal are PRICELESS!!

I would buy a set of his books if available??!!

CheerZ, Steve
email s.p.foxhunt@juno.com
Mobile 253 677 8950

I am trying to purchase the 20/577 from his estate. But I will look for the Hatari times magazines and if I can find them I will get you in contact with the executor. (Who is intentionally trying to remain behind the scenes so I’m not going to put their info out). I do not believe there are any more books, but I will look next time Im there.

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
AK_STIX- Thanks very much!! I am glad knowledgeable people are involved and his estate is being handled responsively.

That is very interesting that he had acquired a different 577-20ga than HALLOWELL had listed!! VERY RARE, GOOD LUCK on acquiring it!!

Not a big deal on the HATARI TIMES, but I would like to save them from the trash can!!

You can contact me be email: s.p.foxhunt@juno.com
Mobile/text 253 677 8950

It might be fun to have a gathering or wake for Cal if there was a good place to host it?? I would contribute to the catering and bar!! Cal went to great expense putting on the double rifle shoots that all of us enjoyed!!... either Cal or the rifle owners supplied all of the ammo for shooting!! We know double ammo is not cheap!!

REST IN PEACE OLD BUDDY!! WE MISS YOU!!

CheerZ, Steve

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
AK_STIX- Thanks very much!! I am glad knowledgeable people are involved and his estate is being handled responsively.

That is very interesting that he had acquired a different 577-20ga than HALLOWELL had listed!! VERY RARE, GOOD LUCK on acquiring it!!

Not a big deal on the HATARI TIMES, but I would like to save them from the trash can!!

You can contact me be email: s.p.foxhunt@juno.com
Mobile/text 253 677 8950

It might be fun to have a gathering or wake for Cal if there was a good place to host it?? I would contribute to the catering and bar!! Cal went to great expense putting on the double rifle shoots that all of us enjoyed!!... either Cal or the rifle owners supplied all of the ammo for shooting!! We know double ammo is not cheap!!

REST IN PEACE OLD BUDDY!! WE MISS YOU!!

CheerZ, Steve

Cal expressly asked his executor not to have a wake, but I am attempting to have a memorial double shoot this spring at Birchwood, more will be posted as I get things sorted.

I will talk with the executor and next time I’m out there we’ll look for the times. Nothing is getting just thrown away without conscious thought. I promise that.