THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    African Hunting Gazette-Congratulations Cal Pappas on your article “Four-Bore Bulls”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunting Gazette-Congratulations Cal Pappas on your article “Four-Bore Bulls”
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Apologies if this was already posted or discussed but I just got my Fall/Winter Issue of AHG last week and sat on it for a few days.

To a wonderful surprise, there on page 62 is a very nice well-written article by our own Mr. Cal Pappas on hunting with buffalo with his Rodda 4 bore made in 1885 and weighs 24 pounds loaded. Cal took a nice old bull with a rifle that shoots an equivalent of a small bowling ball at 50 yards. Check it out if you haven’t yet seen it.

Congratulations Cal on your publication and thanks for sharing an interesting hunting and historical experience.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I didn't even know they published it.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good article, per usual from Mr Pappas. I read it on the plane to SCI last week.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen that issue yet!! The old Pony Express is very slow on Forwards!!... or maybe I left it home in my reading bag that is still at the back door!!

I look forward to reading the article... after "experiencing" a couple of Cal's 4 Bores at the Double Shoots!!... perhaps the same one written about??!! COOL!!

I had an interesting chat with a high-profile double shooter at the Beinfeld Show, with a beautiful cased Army & Navy 8 Bore on his table. He told a story of a known 4 Bore Guru owner and shooter on the East Coast who had recently passed. For some reason the family ordered an autopsy?? The Forensic Medical Examiner came back to the family very concerned ... "was your husband a prize fighter, in multiple serious accidents?" No, why do you ask?. "Your husband has suffered multiple brain concussions that are very concerning??!!".... No, he shot Big Double Rifles most of his life!!....
No wonder I have brain farts at my age??!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote