Find
Notify
Tools

30 minutes at the range ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Torrential rain and other responsibilities lead me to take a quick two hour ride to Upstate NY for 30 minutes with the 600 NE.

I set up for 50 yards and took my first shots with my new Verney-Carron 600 Nitro Express. 4 different loads with 4 different bullets (GSC, AHR, BBS and Kodiak) and all went to nearly the same place at 50 yards. Didnt have time to set for 100 yards but frankly can't see that I would use this at 100 yards on game. Two sets of two snap shot at 25 yards with the RGB and Macifej solids went to the same place again.

I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story:

GS Custom:

AHR X-Bullet

Kodiak Bullet

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Paul

Pretty work.

I always measured center to center of holes, as the center of bore axis is.

Congrats. Bring it to the Vintagers in September.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hi Don,

Thanks. I measure outside to outside and subtract a bullet diameter to figure center to center group. Works out to be the same thing.

If you look at the dial and sibtract 0.620 you get the following:

The GSC pair is 0.54" center to center, AHR pair is 0.62" c-c, the Kodiak is 1.66" c-c and the Barnes Banded Solids (Yellow Target) was 2.6" c-c.

The Macifej and RobGunBuilder bullets went into a charging tree at 25 yards so I dont have targets that I can measure with calipers.

Thanks again

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Looks like minute of ele any way you measure it Wink

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
10 Rounds from a 600! You Da Man! thanks for the report. Nice rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc, what is your perception of the recoil?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
CCMDoc, what is your perception of the recoil?
Peter.

Wearing just a t-shirt, no sissy pad and of course no brake - not bad at all. Easy to accurately get off the left barrel in follow-up with none of the antics seen in some photos (barrels at 90 degrees to the surface of the earth). No pain at all after 12 shots.

I shoot a 600 Overkill driving 900 grain bullets at 2,200-2,300fps in an 11 pound rifle and no brake a fair amount and this is less recoil in a heaavier rifle.

If I can do it - anyone can.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
10 Rounds from a 600! You Da Man! thanks for the report. Nice rifle!

Thanks tu2

It was fun and satisfying. I wish I had more time to shoot more than the 12 rounds I brought with me but limiting myself to those forced me to head back home and not get in trouble with the womenfolk.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Paul

If you can shoot that big bolt trash you can shoot anything!!

Hell, that stuff will make a cigar store indian flinch! Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, Looks like we have a bit of file work to do on the front sight when you come up to shoot!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Paul, Looks like we have a bit of file work to do on the front sight when you come up to shoot!

Yeah I was thinking that too but will wait until I find the two loads I plan to stick with and take it from there. It seems, though, that wont be hard given this 600 seems to like everything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting. Were you using a 6 o’clock hold or center hold? I think those big cases are great they do make a big pile with just a few, great pictures.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
Great shooting. Were you using a 6 o’clock hold or center hold? I think those big cases are great they do make a big pile with just a few, great pictures.
Bill

Thanks Bill,
That was with a six-o'clock hold and the "night-time" big white bead. I hadn't realized it was "up" but given the miserable rainy, cloudy darkened weather, probably wasn't a bad thing either.

Next time I wont be as rushed and play with different holds as well as day/night beads. All else fails and I am happy with regulation, wil change out the rear leaf and work it until it is perfect with my chosen reloads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine rifle sir!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing CC.
Congratulations with your "6"..

Wink

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I have to tell you that shooting that double was so much fun and so rewarding. You never really know what it will be like until you try, even though I knew the recoil couldn't be as much as 900 grains exiting my 11+lb 600 OK at 2,423fps. BOOM

I really wasn't expecting such good 50 yard L-R pairs from my first attempts at loading for this 600 so I was very pleased with these results. I'll work on my hold, etc. before doing anything on the rifle to affect the elevation, but overall I am thrilled. beer

Ken Buch of Kebco has been fantastic source of advice, information and support. patriot

I'm thinking that for my next African safari I'll take my AHR-built 600 Overkill and put a scope on it (Wayne already sent me a set of Talley 30mm mounts) for anything over 50 yards and this V-C 600 NE double for the up close and personal smack-downs that are inevitable. Eeker

Wonder if the two rilfes together will be over the weight limit ... Hmmmm, also have to worry about the weight of the ammo - might be able to bring 3 or 4 rounds of each ... bewildered

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc

Nice shooting.
What ammo did the factory use to regulate with ?

Thanks
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
CCMDoc

Nice shooting.
What ammo did the factory use to regulate with ?

Thanks
Nitro

Thaks Nitro.
They use Kynoch ammo for regulation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big GrinjumpingBig Grin jumpingBig Grin jumpingBig Grin jumpingBig Grin

You must feel GREAT after seeing what this rifle can do in the accuracy department!

The charging trees never had a chance. With more shooting you'll really get to learn

the details of how it shoots and I'll bet the bullets wind up closer yet. The 50 yard

distance in my opinion, is really the max that you should shoot at game. I am very

happy for you that this has turned out so well! Decades of fun are in your future. Do

you know if the rifle has intercepting sears?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack - it really was very satisfying. I am sure you are right - more practice means better shooting. BOOM

I also agree about the range with such a beast.

Good question about the intercepting sears - I don't know the answer, though. bewildered

When we and Biebs finally get together (soon I hope) we will have quite the collection of doubles to play with. hilbily

You have as many shots with any of my doubles (and I'll probably bring along my 600 OK too) as you would like. Like a beer, wine or other "adult" beverage - half the fun is sharing the fun. beer

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I've heard a rumor that this Verney-Carron 600 Nitro Express might be in he hands of a new owner.

To the new owner I say

CONGRATULATIONS!

You have a wonderfully accurate and absolutely stunning double rifle backed by a great guy (Ken Buch) and fantastic artisans and gunsmiths (Verney-Carron family and team).

It is a pleasure to shoot that fine double rifle and it shoulders, swings and fllows-through like the finest shotgun.

You will absolutely love this DR - I did!

Best of luck with it,

Paul

One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
it looks like the one i just bought at SCI i sure hope it is it seems to be a shooter i have been waiting all my life for this gun

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
i picked it up it just felt right swings beautiful i was in the zoli booth right next to them and i just fell in love all over again i saw it last year and almost got it. i was not going to let it go again now im glad its on its way to florida

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Wow, terrific groups and a gorgeous rifle. Congratulations sir!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is way pass cool.
Relax those jaw muscels you will a cramp.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Gun!!!

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nicholosi
posted Hide Post
We want more pictures. Give us the glamour shots.

John

Life Member Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member NRA
DRSS

Posts: 131 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting and beautiful rifle. Like Rusty said, 10 rounds from that beast and you must have needed a drink. Congrats on a great rifle that shoots well.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwananelson:
it looks like the one i just bought at SCI i sure hope it is it seems to be a shooter i have been waiting all my life for this gun

If it is the same V-C 600NE and you're interested, I can email you the details of the loads that made those groups.

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Paul

Pretty work.

I always measured center to center of holes, as the center of bore axis is.

Congrats. Bring it to the Vintagers in September.

Don

I agree.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At last year's Southern Side By Side I had the pleasure of handling and shooting Don's VC .577NE. As some of you may know, I've built about a half dozen double rifles for myself, so I understand a little of what is good and what is not, in a side by side double rifle. THE VERNEY CARRON IMPRESSED THE HELL OUT OF ME. It is lovely to behold, a joy to handle, and a pussycat to shoot!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations CCMDoc! beer

That rifle is shooting very well,seemingly with what ever is jammed in the chambers!

LOOK OUT ELEPHANTS!

............... BOOM ................ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good wishes but that is the V-C 600NE that is now in the hands of Bwananelson. tu2 beer

He is awaiting its arrival and I will be giving him the load data I used to make those targets. BOOM

My own 600NE is still in the "birthing" stages and the labor pains are killing me Mad animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just keep opening this post so I can drool!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarawa:
I just keep opening this post so I can drool!

Me too! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Doc, You're done drooling over this one!

But the next one is waiting in the wings. I might even treck to the sunny southland just to fondle this babe!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Make the trip, you'll love it when you throw it up to your shoulder.

Believe me it was not easy to part with but Ken made me an offer I couldn't refuse. beer

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Mike,
Believe me it was not easy to part with but Ken made me an offer I couldn't refuse. beer

An earlier thread said that Ken was a "bad bad man.." I'll steer clear of him far as long as possible! rotflmo

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Mike,

An earlier thread said that Ken was a "bad bad man.." I'll steer clear of him far as long as possible! rotflmo

He's a really good guy who's only goal is to have happy and satisfied customers. beer

Damn him! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took some time away from the kids/ranch/work to go into town and join Ken in his booth setup, handled and assembled each of his twenty-odd guns and rifles.

Beautiful firearms and a top-shelf guy.
Ken is great and he's representing a truly fine gunmaker, offering a very wide range of styles and features.

That .600 is just sweet as
can be.
Lots and lots of rifle for the dollar.

...and BwanaNelson, you stole that thing!!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote