THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    450/400 or 375 Flanged for North America?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 or 375 Flanged for North America?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am still leaning towards ordering a Chapuis 9.3x74R but I have not totally ruled out ordering a Searcy yet.
Searcy makes the PH in both of these calibers. Which one would you pick for North America? I do reload.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a scoped Chapuis 9,3x74R and a scoped British double in 450/400 3 1/4".

Nothing wrong with the 375 Flanged or the 450/400, but....

For North America the 9,3 Chapuis is the better choice. It is lighter, has less recoil and is more suited to NA game. It has plenty enough power for all game including the big bears.

I think the 9,3 is the best choice under 40 cal for a double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not the 375 Flanged magnum? It shoots as well, is more versitile, and can be made up just as light on the Searcy Classic action. I am not being arguemenitive I have to make up my mind soon on calibers for my Searcy Classic with two sets of barrels.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb
For you the 375 Flanged ther best choice as the second set of bbls for your Searcy with its bigger frame.

However the 9,3x74R is just as effective as the 375 , and it is half the price of 375 doubles, lighter and trimmer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you know that butch is making up rifles on a smaller Classic frame? I think it is going to be about the same size as the one used on the 9,3x74!!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb
I would rather have 2 complete doubles than a 2 bbled set.
How much more would it cost you to have 2 complete Searcys. Or a big bore Searcy and a 9,3 Chapuis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LB404

it might sound like heresy but have you considered the most perfect combination for a one gun hunt the world combination ?

no obsolete / oddball calibers - ones you can get ammuntion for anywhere.

375 scoped with claw mount

and a 470 barrel set

and , despite what the pundits here may say , you can have the 375 barrel set chambered for the belted 375 h& h ... as long as done by a competent builder.

don't think for a moment that the makers like purdey, hollands, westley, etc would offer that chambering if they didn't make a reliable system that worked.

some may comment about the virtues of the old flanged 375..... they still live in the dark ages. just where please tell me are you going to find that ammo in africa....or the 450/400 ?
NOWHERE !

so if you just want to dream about africa, get any oddball caliber. but if you really plan on going, get real calibers.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ammunition in Africa is a big problem anywhere regardless of the caliber. On my last trip a guy came through and had spent three days looking for 416 Remington Magnum ammo and non was available anywhere in RSA at that time. I had completed my safari and was on the way out and was staying in Johannesburg.The folks at Afton guest house suggested he talk to me. I felt sorry for the guy and arranged to give him 50 rounds of ammo with Swift A frames and he would pay me when he got home. The check has circumnavigated the globe several times in two years as I have not seen a penny yet. I have worn out two pairs of shoes shuffeling out to the mail box looking for that check to fly home! jumping
The issue of what factory ammo is available does not enter into the equaision for me. I hand load every bullet I take to africa and have done so forever. So other than caliber choice I am OK.

square shooter