THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Import of Firearms from Europe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Import of Firearms from Europe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my response to a client's inquiry about importing a firearm from Europe. Thought it might be of interest here.
First, the export of firearms from Europe to the USA is in many cases prohibited by the manufacturers. I.E. Frankonia in Germany will not ship a xxxxx rifle to the USA. This is because they are the European distributor for xxxx and are specifically prohibited to sell or ship to America by the manufacturer. However I do not have any idea of their situation on the xxxxx or xxxxx firearms you are asking about.
Second, the expense is not cheap but maybe not overly expensive. Our rate is usually a fee of $300.00 to handle the importation. We get the import permit, receive the firearm here in Houston and then arrange shipping to you. But to our fee you must add our custom broker's fees of around $250.00 plus an import duty of 3.1% on the value of the rifle, and of course air freight to our office in Houston, then freight onwards to you. We do not make anything on the broker's fees, that is what he charges us to clear the rifle"s paperwork through US customs.
Third, many smaller dealers and gun shops in Europe do not have the knowledge it takes to get an export permit from their county to the USA, and do not want to deal with it.
Fourth, the cost to import may not be too excessive if you are buying a high end gun, but it is too costly if the price of the firearm is pretty low and available in the USA. At least that is my opinion.
Fifth. We have had customers purchase a firearm in Europe during a trip over there and then have the dealers there ship it to Eurogun Imports. We got the import permits in hand prior to the shipment. The problem with this is your are out the money and your rifle is still with the dealer in Europe. If he did not ship it I do not know what recourse you would have. I had a client wait almost a year but he did get his firearm. The dealer there said there were delays in getting his export permit.
Sixth: We have been asked by clients if they could buy a firearm in Europe and bring it back with them on their return flight. I cannot really answer that question but it would seem to me when you got to the airport in say, Rome, the airline counter is going to call a customs officer to ask if it is OK for you to leave the county with a firearm. If customs officer denies it, or maybe the custom official wants your rifle, you could be out the rifle and your money.
Seventh, regarding bringing a firearm back on your flight back to the USA that is not register in your name before you left home. We have never done this type of import. Prospective clients suggest maybe we could meet them at the airport with the import permit in ours hand. Well, maybe.... but your first stop in the USA better be in Houston. But a rifle brought into the USA and stopped by US Customs is going to get sent to some Government warehouse if it is with the local office for very long, like 14 days or so. If your rifle disappears into the warehouse, chances are you will never see it again. I.E. I had a double rifle coming from Germany for our inventory, but it got misdirected to a flight to Chicago. The rifle was taken by US Customs and sent to their warehouse in Chicago. I tried to get them to locate the rifle, but the warehouse manager said "Look pal, our warehouse is 30 feet tall, one city block wide and covers 4 city blocks. We are packed to the rafters with confiscated and held up goods. There is no way we are going to find that firearm. Fortunately the rifle was insured by the shipper and they were able to collect and then send me another rifle.
Sorry to be so long winded on this but there are just a lot of factors to consider. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Thanks,
Charles Prince

Posts: 72 | Location: Houston Texas USA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look pal, our warehouse is 30 feet tall, one city block wide and covers 4 city blocks. We are packed to the rafters with confiscated and held up goods

wouldnt yall just love to go snoop around in there!

Good info! thumb

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote